Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt loads, lots of soot

How about contacting Ruger about just sending them the cylinder? Why should someone pay someone else to correct this?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    How about contacting Ruger about just sending them the cylinder? Why should someone pay someone else to correct this?
    Ruger will NOT address issues like cylinder throat sizes, they won't even fix a cylinder that has undersized chambers in it that were reamed with a worn out reamer.

Neither will they accept any gun parts, you have to jump through the hoops and send them the whole firearm, via common carrier, they will shoot factory ammo through it, if it groups for them, they send it back without doing anything to it and may charge you for shipping being there was nothing wrong with the gun.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Never once had a gun sent in come back, correct Sometimes they were worse than when they were sent in

Boolit Grand Master

Up your load
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I shoot 7.5gr win231/HP38 with a 250gr.

solid ROLL crimp

813fps

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Things to try at the loading bench are:
    1.) Increase the charge weight slightly (data allowing).
    2.) Switch to a heavier projectile (230 gr. LRN or 250 gr. RNFP), keeping charge weights as is.
    3.) Increase the amount of crimp you use. I find that turning the seating die 1/8 to 1/4 turn can make a difference.

Though you MAY find that you use all three measures, DO NOT attempt them all at one time. Employ each measure separately, while checking for pressure signs. I doubt that the three measures, combined at once, would cause any seriously high pressures, but let's not test the notion.
    I recall 7.1/W231/250 gr. RNFP being pretty "middlin", in terms of performance, pretty close to factory. With lighter projectiles, charge weights under that may not generate sufficient pressure to seal the brass to the chamber.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Couple guys have the easiest solution-
    Neck size!! Don’t fart with anything else except throats. Then if neck size doesn’t help go up with load. You are in such low pressure with that load that even annealed brass may not seal. If you want poopy loads go with Trail boss. Other wise add powder and get it working in the right pressure range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    Couple guys have the easiest solution-
    Neck size!! Don’t fart with anything else except throats. Then if neck size doesn’t help go up with load. You are in such low pressure with that load that even annealed brass may not seal. If you want poopy loads go with Trail boss. Other wise add powder and get it working in the right pressure range.
    In Hogdons: Minimum is 5.9 and max 8.0
    So at 7.0 pressure should be fine.
    Also 6.6 has been my go to load in several other 45's without any issues.
    Cylinder will be going to Doug today or tomorrow. Also will be switching to Starline brass.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    Hope ya get it working. Soot isn’t the worst thing but is messy after awhile. Let us know if you get it fixed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    Hope ya get it working. Soot isn’t the worst thing but is messy after awhile. Let us know if you get it fixed.
    Cylinder is on the way to Doug to be honed to .4525
    Will load a few of my regular load and will bump it up as well.
    Also will load up some 250gr. with Unique
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Unique is sooty in my Uberti when the charge is under 8.0 grains with a 255 grain SWC.

Boolit Master
    Got the Cylinder back from Doug.
    Looks perfect, the Boolits snugly drop right through now.
    Hopefully I will get to shoot it this week.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is a pistol thread but in my 16" Marlin 1894 45 Colt, at low pressure the cases are very sooty and black. Cases also are slightly bulged which is because as I understand it the chambers on these Marlins tend to run oversize. As I increase the pressure the soot goes away but the bulge remains. Just have to fully resize all cases when shot through this gun. Full house Ruger pressure loads are a real handful in this little carbine!!! But it does shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Never once had a gun sent in come back, correct Sometimes they were worse than when they were sent in
    About 50/50. I had a new barrel and cylinder put on a .45 Vaquero that I had purchased used. Good job all around.

Sent in a .45 Blackhawk, which had a visibly bad barrel. The new barrel had the forcing cone off center, and the entire pistol was over buffed (with a sanding wheel?). I had carefully blended all the fit parts and removed the “sanded” look with steel wool, etc. before I sent it in. I still have it and will rebarrel it myself.

It’s really a crap shoot.

Boolit Master
    Got out to shoot it.
    SOooooo much better.
    Groups are 1/3 the size they were and actually groups now.
    No leading, still.more soot than I like but much cleaner than before.
    Failure is not an Option

Outstanding! I read where you ordered some new Starline brass. A friend of mine did that and notice his first sizing using more force than used brass. Starline boasts its 45 LC brass will stand high pressures, like 44 mag pressure, most of us don’t need that. I have very little Starline brass in 45 colt, mostly W-W and R-P.
    My suggestion if it’s new brass and dropping into the chamber as is, just flare, seat and crimp. Again, when I was loading just for 1 45 colt, I only sized a little over 1/3 the way with modern dies and that ammo all went back into the same gun.

Boolit Master
    I get more soot on cases when using Starline than I do using Winchester brass or Federal in 45 Colt Also more split case mouths with Starline than Winchester or Federal brass especially in .357.

Boolit Master

It's an "Old wives tale" about 45 Colt brass being "weak" and not holding up. The brass wasn't/isn't the problem. Unless the brass has been reloaded over and over again and lost its elasticity, and IS wore out, there shouldn't be any problems. It was/is the oversize chambers that causes the split cases. Chambers so oversize, that when fired stretched the cases beyond the limits of the brass. I load for my Uberti 45 Colt "Evil Roy" and Winchester Trapper carbine. Fortunately I can partial size my brass to hold the boolit, and the cartridges will fit in either chamber. My standard load is 9 grains of Herco under a 255 - 265 grain boolit. Doesn't seem to overly soot the cases. Burns real clean and bright shiny bores.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    That's about the minimum "non-sooty" load in most .45 Colts I've shot.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Unique is sooty in my Uberti when the charge is under 8.0 grains with a 255 grain SWC.
    That's about the minimum "non-sooty" load for most .45 Colts that I've shot.

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast