Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70 - 425 at 1700 fps, gas-checked Lyman No 2:Lead 1:1?

I'm not seeing much for Accurate 5744 or Alliant 2400 (or any of many of the others suggested here and elsewhere, actually, for the moderate 45-70 loads), except for IMR 4198 (which I have) and 3031, which is available. I've seen a lot of people like 3031 in modest loads. How do you guys like it?
    Last edited by huntinlever; 12-03-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    -Paul

Hi guys -

I did end up getting the 46-405VG from Tom at Accurate. Pretty excited to load this at moderate levels. I just saw some Varget is available but am wondering if that might be too slow for the trapdoor level loads, say, 45-46 grains? So far no 2400, 5400 or Unique, at least none I could find.
    -Paul

Straight WW ( had for years ) on my "LBT" hardness tester runs 10.5. My RCBS 405gr mold with GC cast up at 422grs when cast from straight WW. At 1300 fps very accurate , & very capable of 125yd shots. Never seen the need for more velocity. Give the lower velocity a try. I believe you will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Straight WW ( had for years ) on my "LBT" hardness tester runs 10.5. My RCBS 405gr mold with GC cast up at 422grs when cast from straight WW. At 1300 fps very accurate , & very capable of 125yd shots. Never seen the need for more velocity. Give the lower velocity a try. I believe you will be pleased.
    Thanks Dom. I'm pretty excited to work the lower loads on this one. I don't have the LBT tester but plan for one down the road. The alloy spreadsheet is showing 10.6 for me, with 2:1 Pb: No. 2. Do you quench yours, or just air cool?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    huntinlever: If you can't find any AA5744 see if you can get some shooters world buffalo rifle. They are practically the same powder. 5744 used to be made by Lovex in Czechoslovakia, and was designated as D060. Accurate powders is now made someplace else (Canada I think?). Shooters world powders are made by Lovex, and buffalo rifle is D060. You can use the same load data for both powders.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    huntinlever: If you can't find any AA5744 see if you can get some shooters world buffalo rifle. They are practically the same powder. 5744 used to be made by Lovex in Czechoslovakia, and was designated as D060. Accurate powders is now made someplace else (Canada I think?). Shooters world powders are made by Lovex, and buffalo rifle is D060. You can use the same load data for both powders.
    That's interesting, thanks. I'll keep my eye out.
    -Paul

Midway has 5744 in, but it's tough to swallow $88 for a pound, shipped. I estimate about 30 grains per charge, so that's about $0.37 a cartridge, v. about $35 for my IMR 4198 (I know accuracy can be a problem at lower loads, but let's say, 32 grains for about 1350 fps), or under 1/2 the price for the 5744 at $0.16 per charge.

Unique and 2400 still AWOL, but still pretty eager to get at least the right load in for this lower-FPS round while I have on hand enough primers for a decent ladder outing. Tough to answer, I know, but would you guys advise 5744 significantly outclasses the 4198 at these pressures, warranting at least a trial regardless of this high cost (i.e., it will be a great powder going forward, so this initial premium is worth it while I have the primers to work with)?

Edit: Let me punch up Varget again at 42-46 grains. On the slower side, I see. Too slow?
    Last edited by huntinlever; 12-10-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    -Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12