Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: MP 311-410 HP for 30-30

MP 311-410 HP for 30-30

Looking hard at getting this mold for 7.62x39 along with possibly .308 but was curious if anyone tried it for 30-30 ? Dad gave my little bro his old 30-30 and wanted some that he could plink an hunt to with so I wouldn't need multiple molds.

Some of gameseeks pics really have me interested in this especially due to the weight and price.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Bub
    I wanted to try it as well. I have to seat it deep for my Marlin to chamber.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Should be fine in yer tube fed gun.. orrrrrr…. You could use the Hammer bullet… it’s Lyman 311440… it’s a total killer at 100 yards in the 30-30, 308, 30-06 and just about anything 30 cal.

311440 Lyman in 30-30
    Sized to .310
    Large rifle primer [Large Pistol Primer works)
    16.0 grains of WC820 Powder, Velocity is 1700 FPS or so. But I have heard of guys running it a bunch faster to 2100 fps with good result.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

I have the mold it shoots good in everything so far. I bought for a 32/20 single shot I have W a SMLE bbl. Shoots these very well!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    A member here traded me some, In 308 I shot an 1.1" group with a mid charge of 2400. No load workup, just used the powder measure as set. And sorted the bullets by weight to .5 grain.

I want the mold too, but like you I already have a stack of 30 cal molds...and I like them all. So if you pick this up I have an Arsenal 311-170-Rf that is a Ranch dog clone. Perfect for 30-30s. Im game for trading small flat rate boxes full! Im not really interested in HP rifle boolits anyway. If MP made an 8 cavity solid id be all over it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Should be fine in yer tube fed gun.. orrrrrr…. You could use the Hammer bullet… it’s Lyman 311440… it’s a total killer at 100 yards in the 30-30, 308, 30-06 and just about anything 30 cal.

311440 Lyman in 30-30
    Sized to .310
    Large rifle primer [Large Pistol Primer works)
    16.0 grains of WC820 Powder, Velocity is 1700 FPS or so. But I have heard of guys running it a bunch faster to 2100 fps with good result.
    Once long ago I pushed that 311440 to 2300 fps and decided I was happier with 15-16 gr WC 820.The two whitetail I shot with it were dead but I got a lot more meat at 1700 fps.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 12-04-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a bit late to the dance, but I would not load a pointy boolit like that in a 30-30 lever action. I have seen a Marlin that had a chain fire event where at least two cartridges exploded in the magazine. The bullets were 147 grain FMJ'S, obviously intended for 308/ 30-06 applications. It appears that one of the cartridges struck the primer of the one in front of it with enough force to detonate the latter, which then set off the one in front of it, ruining the magazine tube forearm, and damaging the front band. Fortunately, the rifle was fired off sand bags, so no injury was sustained.

I do not recommend the use of boolits or bullets that have a meplat less than .17 in 30 caliber lever action rifles with tube magazines.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have a two cavity of that boolit and it shoots extremely well in my 30/30 (a Mossberg 464). The meplat on that boolit either as a hollow point or flat nose is plenty so as not to be a concern in the feeding tube in my opinion. I am only loading it with Red Dot or Unique for an MV of 1400 but has performed well on coyotes as far out as I can aim with iron sights. It routinely shoots 2" groups at 100 yds when my old eyes are cooperating. BTW - It also shoots well in my 10" Contender, a 32/20. Good luck hanging on to those tiny 'C' clamps that hold the nose pins in place. I keep a magnet handy.

MP has another mold, very similar… I have it, but forgot the number. I believe he called it .308 HUNT. It’s basically the same, but I think a touch heavier as the nose is much wider, and would never get a tube fire. I’m not home at the moment to verify, but I might recognize it, on his site.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

I can’t find it on mp site right now, might be sold out, this is same one on eBay, and wayyyyy expensive. I labored over this one vs the one you’re looking at. This one, won, for the 30-30 aspect. I do load that for a few local lever buddies. And it runs well in.308 , and I’m still working on it, with 300blk….have not tried 30-06.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3FCB2CF-3694-4053-93B4-590F359D5193.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	307632 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC6FBAA4-9127-4CA5-A1AC-1D8718AE4972.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	307633
    Last edited by Krh1326; 12-04-2022 at 06:09 PM.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master
    I PC the Lyman version and use it in both my 7.62 x 39 and my 30-30. Works great in both! For 30-30 I size to 309 before and after PC-- for 7.62 x 39 I PC as-cast then size 0.313
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Not .30-30 but .303 British. I have that mould (316410) and love it! It is short for the Lee Enfield magazine so doesn't feed well but loaded single shot it shoots very well for me and seems quite accurate.

As for tube magazine, I wouldn't worry about it but others might. I used to shoot lots of the Lyman 457124 385 gr. round nose loaded to max Marlin loads in my 1895 and never had an issue. I have also tested using a Lyman 316299, which is a fairly pointy round nose, by lining up an ACWW cast boolit over a primed cartridgfe and smaking it with a hammer. I tried several times but could not get a primer to detonate. The nose of the boolits did not even dent the primer.

I am not doubting that tube magazine chainfires happen but I have not been able to make a primer detonate using round nose/pointy lead bullets so have to think that something else is at play like a high primer.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

I am glad to hear itr works in your 7.62x39 Hick. When CBRick was running the group buy I was doing the 3D modeling and since he wanted the boolit for a single shot (IIRC) and I wanted it for .303 British I asked him if I could add a 0.100" band of full goove diameter after the crimp groove to fill the throat better than the Lyman design and he agreed. I wasn't sure if it would chamber well in semiauto and I don't think I have seen any posts on that. Typically the radius starts at the case mouth for autoloaders.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Mmmm. Not sure what the meplat diameter is, but I'd be concerned about busting one off in the mag tube and wrecking my hand and a nice rifle. It would be a happy choice in anything fed from a box mag, though.

Anymore, I limit meplat diameters in the .30-30 to .220"+.