Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Stage Metallic Press Discussion

I've been reloading for 42 years, and started with the Whack a Mole Lee, went to an RCBS, then the Lyman Orange Crusher, then a Dillon 550 for shooting pistol comps. I just recently bought the Forster Coax press and love it, wish I'd got one years ago for rifle cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Great discussion everyone. I've never laid hands on a Forster Co-Ax, but watched the videos and it looks awesome. Likewise the MEC Marksman. Storage space is the biggest inhibitor, as well as shop workbench space. Most of that is taken by my 12-ga progressives for trap loads. but I was able to get that funeral honorary shell done for my friends (another thread) using just the Lee Reloader.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Started loading in the late 60's with the Lee Wack-a-mole, then soon went to the Lyman Spartan. Came up with a 007 in the late 70's and used it until about a year ago when I tried a RCBS Rebel. The Rebel is a good press but the only plus it has over the 007 is the spent primers drop out the bottom of the ram.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My Co-Ax is over 50 years old....as is my Rock Chucker. Nothing “new and improved” IMO that would make me invest in another single stage.
    Amen ..

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Watched the video, very clever but you’ve still got to load the feed tube so you’re still handling the brass so I don’t see where you gained anything. Still takes time to load a hopper. I’ve built case kickers and primer arm assists for my Lyman T2s that speed things up by allowing your hands to stay busy but not have to work as hard. I prime on the press.
    No I only loaded the feed tube in the demo....that's what the electric collator is for. Yes is takes time to load the hopper....about 2 seconds to dump several hundred into it from a gallon container of prepped brass ..... but you'd rather feed them one at a time.... do carry on.

Hmm, I wonder if a Co-Ax could be given a similar case feeder......maybe not, but It'd be fun to try....shell holder would be the only problem.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-22-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Mustn't forget this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1334.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	307167
    Cognitive Dissident

Or this one which is the upgraded version of that one and fixed all of "that ones" problems..

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I started reloading in 1967 with a Pacific Super Deluxe "C" it was painted Bair (Bear) Blue and came with a Bear Case trimmer and Bear gizmo to load primer's into brass tube for primer seating ... for years I thought the press was a Bear / Bair press ... but if you look on the frame behand the ram / shell holder , there is a block letter ... P ... and that makes it a Pacific Press . I'm still loading on it , nothing has ever broken or worn out .
    Another thing that great to have is a Hand Press ... the Buchanan are the best , and I wish I had one ... but they weren't around when I got a little Lee ... there is so much you can do with a portable press it isn'y funny . Case prep to primer seating to loading inside your heated house or loading at the range ... A Hand Press is very Handy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I’m a RCBS fan. Been loading on the same Rockchucker for almost 40 years .

GWS, how prepped is your brass, sized and primed?

Boolit Master
    Another satisfied Rock Chucker fan here. Bought mine brand new in ‘76 and still going strong. I’ve also never been finger pinched - not quite sure how that would occur unless one placed said finger in the way.

Boolit Master
    I started loading 50 years ago with a Herter's C press, still have it and don't plan on using it. I really like my Bonanza 68, especially the straight line priming. I took a Pacific Multi-Power off my bench and set up a RCBS Jr., went back to the Pacific. Just wish I had the primer tray for the Pacific. I also have a Spar-t, it's in the closet with the Herter's and Jr.

I don't care for a press that I have to fight the handle, I want it to stay up. Don't like a press that cams over either. The Pacific did but I fixed that.

Most of us that have loaded a while have a preference, most presses are fine, just some differences in the details. No one makes anything that would suit me any better than what I have. I enjoy my time at the bench and am not a high volume shooter so a single stage is great.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    GWS, how prepped is your brass, sized and primed?
    Well that depends on the day, depends on what I'm doing. If you're talking about the video......that's just a demo of how a case feeder can work on a Summit. The brass in the video isn't prepped, except that the demo is showing what would be the first step of prep for me. Brass is typically deprimed first....so I can wet tumble which is best done when the primers are out.

So if that was beginning a real session instead of a demo, I'd deprime 200 or so...or whatever I can fit in my Tumbler's Tumbler. Once tumbled, I would size using the same case feeding operation......then trim off press. With a feeder it goes much faster than the typical single station batch loading. I lube with Lanolin spray in a box then dump them in the collator, and size and trim.....I use a progressive the rest of the way. This of course is rifle....more steps than pistol and slower......so any chance for "automation" IMO, is way worth it.

The picture below is a batch of LC 7.62 military brass, after the third step....in this case, wet tumbling, because in this case the second step was swaging pockets.

This picture was before I had an APP to deprime AND swage with......one at a time....
    Last edited by GWS; 11-24-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Another thing that great to have is a Hand Press ... the Buchanan are the best , and I wish I had one ... but they weren't around when I got a little Lee ... there is so much you can do with a portable press it isn't funny . Case prep to primer seating to loading inside your heated house or loading at the range ... A Hand Press is very Handy !
    Gary
    For some rounds even the 120-year-old Ideal #3 nutcracker tool, with the right dies, does a pretty creditable job. I made up dies for the .32 Long Colt, and have gone on to the .25-20 Stevens, the .38 Special, and even dies to reload the .25 Stevens Rimfire. Only thing you can't do is full-length size, but for low pressure cartridges like those you rarely have to.
    Cognitive Dissident

I own 4 Dillon progressive presses, 650, 550, & (2) SDB's, and recently purchased my first single stage press earlier this year, a MEC Marksman. I have to admit I'm impressed with it, unbelievably smooth to operate, heavy duty and very well made. I highly reccomend it!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master
    Single stage presses i have a fondness for the rcbs A presses. Hell for stout and will do everything. As said above, for single stage rifle loading i love my co-ax.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    It can be amusing to read people praising their very old single stage presses for longevity as if it's an unusually good tool. I'm sure they are honest and have excellent press life but that's not exceptional; it's the norm. I've seen a lot of "old" presses but I have not yet seen anything "worn-out"! (Have seen a few presses damaged by gross neglect or foolish misuse but not from wear.)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Great discussion everyone. I've never laid hands on a Forster Co-Ax, but watched the videos and it looks awesome. Likewise the MEC Marksman. Storage space is the biggest inhibitor, as well as shop workbench space. Most of that is taken by my 12-ga progressives for trap loads. but I was able to get that funeral honorary shell done for my friends (another thread) using just the Lee Reloader.
    As I posted, I have BOTH the Forster and the MEC Marksman. I'm a tad abashed in voicing that the MEC Marksman has, without any doubt, become my #1 favourite press. As Big Wes (post #35) wrote, it is "top shelf" and then some. And...it costs less than the Co-Ax. I bought the C0-Ax to reduce concentricity/runout loading .221 Remington Fireball for my XP100. It surely did this! I bought the accessory shorter handle for it which makes loading (for me) easier. BUT, I've learned that the MEC produces ammo every bit as good -- with smoother action; less bench footprint; and, as stated, came to my door at a lower price.
    While I'm not about to give up my co-ax -- if I could rewind the videotape of life to before I had either -- frankly, I'd just have gone with the MEC.
    (Just me... some folks love only Budweiser... others have same sentiment for Miller's )
    geo

Boolit Master

I have been loading on a RCBS jr. since the early 60s.
    The only improvement that I`ve made was adding a "Big Toms" primer catcher.
    Rarely does it not catch a primer.
    With the original primer tray, lots hit the floor.

Would like a picture of that! I have my own way of controlling "primer scatter" from the Jr., but it only works for small primers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast