Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Single Stage Metallic Press Discussion

Interesting post, I have a few presses, started with a Lyman Tong Tool, still have one for my go bag, with a set of dies, dipper, a Lyman 38 cal 158 SWC plain base mould and lube cutter made from a cut off 38-55 case wrapped with speed tape. Probably the most unusual press I have is the Metalic II Posess/Warren progressive. Works like a single stage, with a swing arm shell holder, primer feed tube and a powder throw mounted on top. I primarily use it to load cast in bottle neck cases with spherical buffer with a Little Dandy. On the right side on the bench.

There are 6 other presses (2 RCs, a 550 B, 3 MECs) plus two sizer lubers on the bench.Been loading since 62.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0554C540-C967-4D78-AC9E-59CF3D08266C.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Just ordered a new MEC Marksman. My Rockchucker is being given to my son in law. So I'll have 2 single stages. The MEC and a Redding Big Boss 2. I have a Dillon 550B that I think is going to be put up for sale. Just doesen't see enough use anymore.

I wouldn't sell the 550, It's there for when you want to produce quantity. Don't know when you bought it but, to replace it in today's market is expensive. I have four Dillons and it doesn't bother me if they sit idle for awhile. They are there if I need them, it's not like I have to feed them like a growing child. JMHO!

Enjoy your new MEC.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Just ordered a new MEC Marksman. My Rockchucker is being given to my son in law. So I'll have 2 single stages. The MEC and a Redding Big Boss 2. I have a Dillon 550B that I think is going to be put up for sale. Just doesen't see enough use anymore.
    I know how you feel. I have been downsizing for a few years and it was tough getting rid of presses I did not "need".

My advice is to keep the 550 for a bit longer. It is nice to have one good progressive just in case.

Like Big Wes posted, they are not getting cheaper, and they will not do down in value.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I know how you feel. I have been downsizing for a few years and it was tough getting rid of presses I did not "need".

My advice is to keep the 550 for a bit longer. It is nice to have one good progressive just in case.

Like Big Wes posted, they are not getting cheaper, and they will not do down in value.
    Thanks guys
    I might hang on to it a while longer. I always seem to use my single stage presses constantly. But have not really been shooting the calibers I load up on the 550B lately.
    I must admit the MEC was a impulse buy. Ive been intrigued by them for a few years. And when my son inlaw told me he was looking at presses I told him don't bother take this Rockchucker. And I immediately replaced it with the MEC which should be here tommorrow.

Boolit Master

My single stage presses include a Jr3, Rock Chucker and a Summit. Best improvement IMO is the Hornady LnL bushing setup. It’s hardly a gimmick. There’s no difference in consistency with or without. The ammunition produced is outstanding with 0.3 moa bolt action loads and sub 0.5 moa AR loads in capable rifles. If I need to repair a cartridge before loading or pull a bullet, it only takes literally a second to swap dies. The RC and Summit are both equipped with the Hornady system along with all of the dies I use in single stage presses.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Back to just two RC Supremes, a LCT, and Lee APP. Couldn’t be happier. Sold off a 750, 550c, and two more turrets. Just loading 38 WCs and 32 Longs. Life is good.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Best improvement IMO is the Hornady LnL bushing setup. It’s hardly a gimmick. There’s no difference in consistency with or without. The ammunition produced is outstanding with 0.3 moa bolt action loads and sub 0.5 moa AR loads in capable rifles. If I need to repair a cartridge before loading or pull a bullet, it only takes literally a second to swap dies.
    I suppose "gimmick" is in the eye of the beholder.

In my eye, swapping my screwed in dies take less than 50 seconds and the die lock ring insures repeatable settings. It took me more than a "second" to swap dies using a quick-change bushing and I VERY rarely stop to "fix" any single cartridge while reloading a batch. So, even with a three die set in an hour long loading session it only takes me maybe two minutes to do normal screw-in die swapping compared to your prefered gimmick's supposed three seconds; what should I do with your approximate 1 minute and 57 seconds (or less?) of saved time?

When I used bushings (once) I realized they meant nothing helpful to me so I tossed them. If such small bits of time was an issue with my normal reloading I would get a Lee Classic Turret press and a stack of preloaded tool heads for my 35+ sets of dies.

Quick-change bushings are indeed popular - for the moment. To each his own, but I will NOT get any more bushings because I don't see how saving a meager few seconds swapping dies during a normal reloading session is worth anything meaningful, at least not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Interesting post, I have a few presses, started with a Lyman Tong Tool, still have one for my go bag, with a set of dies, dipper, a Lyman 38 cal 158 SWC plain base mould and lube cutter made from a cut off 38-55 case wrapped with speed tape. Probably the most unusual press I have is the Metalic II Posess/Warren progressive. Works like a single stage, with a swing arm shell holder, primer feed tube and a powder throw mounted on top. I primarily use it to load cast in bottle neck cases with spherical buffer with a Little Dandy. On the right side on the bench.

There are 6 other presses (2 RCs, a 550 B, 3 MECs) plus two sizer lubers on the bench.Been loading since 62.
    Neat room! I like the Metalic II, made a short handle with 8 ball.

Boolit Master
    Quicklock bushings are evil. I thought I would not use them. But they have taken over and now I have them on most all my commonly used dies.

It's not really a savings of time. It's the feeling that the settings are exactly the same as last time, and that's addictive. Make some more ammo, add it to the can, and I feel like they're the same thing. Without that quicklock bushing, my OCD makes me want to keep each batch separate from the other ones.

For dies where it doesn't matter, like say sizing dies that index off the bottom of the die? You think you can save some money and not buy bushings for those. But when you switch between dies, now you end up having some with bushings and some dies without... and then your one bushing that's supposed to stay on the press ends up on one of your dies, and now you have to figure out which one is supposed to not have one. So I end up buying the damn bushing for all the dies.

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    So I end up buying the damn bushing for all the dies.
    Which would break the bank here, since I possess something over 50 die sets.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    After the 'O' frame came along, and Hornady off set the opening on theirs, I'd say the single stage is pretty well perfected.
    Years ago, a Rockchucker fell into my lap. After it bit me a few times, I sold it and went back to my 007.

The LNL feature is new, but I really don't care for it on either of my Hornadys.
    For me, it's a solution for a problem I don't have and JB welded all the bushings in mine.
    On the old, I believe first iteration, Lee Challenger press. It was designed to mount Somewhat diagonally so that you can insert cases easer ( I know because I have one). I thought, and still do think it’s a great idea with an o style press. I just can’t understand why there aren’t more of them and why Lee changed the design. Not the strongest, but still a great little press I use mine often.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    Quicklock bushings are evil. I thought I would not use them. But they have taken over and now I have them on most all my commonly used dies.

It's not really a savings of time. It's the feeling that the settings are exactly the same as last time, and that's addictive. Make some more ammo, add it to the can, and I feel like they're the same thing. Without that quicklock bushing, my OCD makes me want to keep each batch separate from the other ones.

For dies where it doesn't matter, like say sizing dies that index off the bottom of the die? You think you can save some money and not buy bushings for those. But when you switch between dies, now you end up having some with bushings and some dies without... and then your one bushing that's supposed to stay on the press ends up on one of your dies, and now you have to figure out which one is supposed to not have one. So I end up buying the damn bushing for all the dies.
    I always avoided them for the reason you like them. I don't like to lock my dies down. Lee just came out with their smartlock bushings, which is like their others except instead of a solid lockdown, they use an O-ring inside. It has the advantages of their standard lock rings, with the advantage of being quick change.

In my case my collection that use Lee breech lock has grown to where it is hard to ignore. My hand press, APP press, and I may soon buy a 6 pack press which all have breech lock built in. It seems I keep growing breech lock bushings that get sent with stuff. A few of my dies such as the Lee sizing dies are breech lock only. Finally I decided to try the smartlock bushings, and I have to say I like them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234