Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iguana Airgun Devastator?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I bet you have Rock Chucks too and lots of other critters that need execution. Rat's Maybe or Barn Pigeons? The Iguanas are just fair game because there are so many of them and they aren't all warm and fuzzy like Tree Rats. They look like they need to be shot. Add to that the fact that they reproduce at a rate well beyond the most prolific pigs and you've got a target rich environment that is ripe for the plucking.

I am looking at a trip to FL to see my Brother and Maybe hiring the Python Cowboy and Otto to take me hunting these dinosaurs. You might consider a similar route? I am just about as far from FL as you are.

Randy
    I'm most jealous (albeit MOST happy for you) vis your making (hopefully) the trip to the Everglades. From what I understand, though, Otto has gone into both semi-retirement mode -- they got a new pup with Otto being its instructor. A challenge they're having is they profess the new dog will break any/all records retrieving an Iguana dropped and for the most part, perhaps, moving. But, Python Cowboy indicated if the Iguana is just lying there, quite dead, it seems invisible to the new pup. They're hoping Otto educates him!
    In any case, I do hope you go; get lots of Iguanas and take/post LOTS of photos!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I bet you have Rock Chucks too and lots of other critters that need execution. Rat's Maybe or Barn Pigeons? The Iguanas are just fair game because there are so many of them and they aren't all warm and fuzzy like Tree Rats. They look like they need to be shot. Add to that the fact that they reproduce at a rate well beyond the most prolific pigs and you've got a target rich environment that is ripe for the plucking.

I am looking at a trip to FL to see my Brother and Maybe hiring the Python Cowboy and Otto to take me hunting these dinosaurs. You might consider a similar route? I am just about as far from FL as you are.

Randy
    good morning Randy , we do have marmots and from what i read they are not protected but they are in short supply in alberta, we are alledgedly the only province that does not have any version of wharf rats , we actually have a gov. operated group called the rat patrol there job is to go and hunt them down when some one reports a siting , barn pigeons are very prolific with all the grain thats grown around here , the most plentiful is what the learned ones call ground squirrels , i call them gophers and i shoot a few thousand every yr starting in march when they appear on top of the snow up until late july ,august when they start to slowdown in there public appearances , most of that is done with rimfire or centre fire varmint guns ,
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Boolit Master
    I did watch a pair of young ladies shooting iguanas from a boat on canals in the Miami area. The air rifles were semi auto with moderator and m-lock AR style forend. Air cylinder was under the AR style buttstock tube. Closest I could find was a EDgun Leshiy 2 Behemoth. What a GUN. The standard model is impressive too. The wired German Short-haired pointer in the video was impressive too.

This is the one I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLKEFM29NI

Keep your eyes on the air rifle.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 11-27-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    So the guy guiding the above hunt is python cowboy. After watching a couple of his youtube videos he describes his air rifle as the EDgun Leshiy 2 in 30 cal. He takes out some really large iguanas on a public golf course. Head shots with some flopping and DRT. The dog is fantastic.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    So the guy guiding the above hunt is python cowboy. After watching a couple of his youtube videos he describes his air rifle as the EDgun Leshiy 2 in 30 cal. He takes out some really large iguanas on a public golf course. Head shots with some flopping and DRT. The dog is fantastic.
    100% agreement re the dog! "Catfish" replaced "Otto" and his energy appears to be awesome. I hunted the mentioned air rifle, and it looks like there is a "Python Cowboy" edition. Just a wee bit above what's available from this retired cripple's pocketbook, it surely does look like a stellar arm -- and the videos are the proof of the pudding that it works!
    If you wish to view the page (which took a few seconds to come u0 on my computer) the URL is" https://www.edgunwest.com/store/edgu...owboy-edition/
    geo

Boolit Master

geo, you ain't kiddin' on the price. I had to look. I guess if you are making a living using it though it isn't so bad.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    geo, you ain't kiddin' on the price. I had to look. I guess if you are making a living using it though it isn't so bad.
    Interestingly, they have TWO outfits! Looking at web-site selling the gear in question: $3,049.00 for the PCP air rifle; $239.00 for the Scalaworks rings and mount; $1,499.99 for the 5-20 x 50 'Scope; $120.00 for the sling; and, they purvey ammo at $21.95 for a box of 250. To my calculator, this sums to $4,929.94. Shipped to a state like mine (8% sales tax ) increases the cost to $5,324.34 for each outfit.
    Again, they sport a pair which sums to $10,648.68! (I did not figure in any shipping, not seeing on their site if shipping is provided gratis, or the buyer need cover it.]
    I'd guess the fellows LOVE what they're doing -- I cannot blame them for that -- so my thought is the fees they garner from clients as well as government eradication contracts probably -- as does their YouTube videos -- mainly subsidizes.
    I've always had a "fear" when I was hunting NEAR water, much less in a boat on it. Regardless -- if it was me, now knowing the costs , I'd have one of the dough-ball Styrofoam piece goodies attached to each. (Salmon and carp fishers will make a cigar-sized mixture of flour and water wrapped about a "stick" of white Styrofoam with one end each of monofilament fishing line attached to their pole and the Styro. If/when their rod gets pulled in, the flour is dissolved and (hopefully) the Styro will float to top for retrieval. This works most, but sadly not all the time. With a five-grand outfit -- I'd probably have two of them on my air rifle! )
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 11-28-2022 at 09:23 PM.

Boolit Bub
    When you see how much damage they do to farms/orchards as well as gardens/landscapes it is easy to view them like feral hogs which are "vermin" to be "controlled" (if not eradicated).

Boolit Bub
    I've been looking at the Air Venturi Avenger (wood stock) as well. Am hoping to find one under my Christmas tree this year to help tackle the squirrel, chipmunk and raccoon problem in our back yard. The old Gamo .177 springer works well enough for all but the raccoon.

To me the AVA user base is reminiscent of the Ruger 10/22 with all of the aftermarket mods (well, perhaps not as many as the Ruger). A bonus to me is that there are many freely sourced or inexpensive 3d printed mods available. Couple that with good performance out of the box as well as 3 calibers choices. May need to take a trip down to FL to see some family members and friends that are seeing the iguanas in their yards

Boolit Master
    There's a lady on Iguana Snipers that uses a Brocock Ghost. She sure can shoot and has eagle eyes. PCP and you have a lever to cock which chambers a pellet/slug and resets the trigger. I'm eyeing a FX Impact M3. 700mm barrel 22 version sends a 40 grain slug at 960 fps and 82 lb me. Fully adjustable to tune the chosen pellet/slug to your barrel. Like adjusting your powder charge to make your bullet coincide with the guns barrel oscillation. No primers or powder or brass case necessary. Gotta have a compressor and air. I see some molds for casting your own. Watched one guy shoot one at 325 yards. That was the 30 cal version. Oh yeah. You can change calibers of your rifle. Really impressive.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    There's a lady on Iguana Snipers that uses a Brocock Ghost. She sure can shoot and has eagle eyes. PCP and you have a lever to cock which chambers a pellet/slug and resets the trigger. I'm eyeing a FX Impact M3. 700mm barrel 22 version sends a 40 grain slug at 960 fps and 82 lb me. Fully adjustable to tune the chosen pellet/slug to your barrel. Like adjusting your powder charge to make your bullet coincide with the guns barrel oscillation. No primers or powder or brass case necessary. Gotta have a compressor and air. I see some molds for casting your own. Watched one guy shoot one at 325 yards. That was the 30 cal version. Oh yeah. You can change calibers of your rifle. Really impressive.
    I will check out "Iguana snipers" -- thanks for suggestion. The FX Impact M3 seems like a great choice. Sad -- for me -- is "Iguana country" is about 2,511 kilometers south of my location (~1,560 U S miles). If I were closer, I'd no doubt have a couple of Iguana-rifles . We have squirrels, but I think shooting an Iguana from a tree surely would be more fun/rewarding than a tree rat. But, again sadly, all I can do is watch the videos and really enjoy watching the Iguana population reduced. "Reduced?" the way they eat and multiply, I really doubt if their population is in any way being reduced by the hunters. Kind of like the Burmese pythons in the Everglade region -- no predators and it is not uncommon for one snake to lay as much as 45 eggs...
    geo

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was a Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak in 20 cal. I didn't have much trouble killing squirrels with head shots with iron sights. Lots of years later I just don't see as well. I sold my most recent blue streak to a friend with a bull frog problem in his pond. Most folks consider SV 22LR to be marginal for squirrels with a lead round nose 40 grain bullet. I don't have any problems in my rifles with head shots with that ammo. My problem is the housing growth around me. I actually have to get permission from my new neighbors to shoot on my own land. Air rifles are exempt. So I figure an air rifle with a muzzle energy close to 22lr muzzle energy (100 ftlb) should work. The longer barreled 22/25 cal air rifles get you in the 80+ ME when doing 850+ fps. The PCP rifles let you keep your eye on the target instead of loading a springer manually.

Boolit Master
    Darn you guys. This thread is giving me a PCP jones. I have resisted so far, (the Marauder and Hill hand pump episode was very brief, as I had just had back surgery) but the compressors have come down a lot in price.

you guys looking to get into PCP guns should checkout the Diana stormrider and the Diana outlaw both are entry level rifles by pricing but both are very accurate with 800 + FPS vel. they are made in china like most air guns in the lower price range ,but Diana claims that each rifle is QC by a diana rep. also they both have wood stocks
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

The gal doing most of the talking in the video is Alex Zedra, she not only shoots air guns, but anything up to and including Barret semi-auto 50 BMGs plus anything else she can get her hands on.
    She has her own U-Tube channel and is featured quite of bit in Classic Firearms videos.
    Quite the Tom Boy!

Boolit Buddy

Don't know about Iguanas eating bugs but they eat your garden! No spinach, lettuce, beans, peas, or any type of flowers! We have no song birds! The iguanas are good climbers, they eat all the song bird eggs! Have shot them in the flowers. Have shot them out of the trees hearing a mother bird going crazy as a big fat Iguana was eating her eggs. Have shot them on the boat dock too. Look out if they poop in your pool. The PCP (pre charged pneumatic) the ones that have a compressed air bottle use a small regulator/clamp that attaches to a 3000 lb scuba bottle have great power! I shoot a 31 gr lead 25 cal pellet. No primers or expensive powder to buy! Will easly go through a 1" pine board and pass through a big fat Iguana too. We have an exchange program here in South Florida. You bait your stone crab trap with the dead Iguana and catch Stone Crabs. Even gave a bunch to my buddy a full time lobsterman that caught a pile of lobsters with Iguanas for bait. "Good trade"!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Geo.
    Check out Sam Wood Outdoors on You Tube. He does a lot of air gun shooting, pest birds, iguanas, rats, etc. He is not a Pest Control Company, just a normal sort of dude. Comes on sort of like a redneck but I know a lot about him, nice guy. gjh
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Just to update this thread before it goes dormant. I got my gun (Air Venturi Avenger .25) but have had only a couple of chances to shoot it. The weather here in SoCal ahs been wet and the road to my Range is washed out.

But what I have been able to do is set it up the way I think I want it? (to be determined). I got my compressor and just a few weeks ago got a 500 CC bottle that I can take with me for more shots. I have been blown away that the bottle has stayed charged to just below 4000 psi for the last month! Hasn't leaked off even a little bit.

I mounted a inexpensive Czech Made 2-6x scope on it as well as a $24 Moderator and one of my 1.5" Nylon Slings so the gun is ready to hunt. Most recently got a really neato Single Shot Loader from Croatia for it and I like it a bunch.

The gun is accurate too! See Pic

So with everything, I've got a little less that $800 in the whole system. My compressor will run off a car battery so I can recharge anywhere I can park the Jeep, and the little Air Bottle will extend my shooting to close to 100 shots. Just waiting to for my range to reopen.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2318.jpg   IMG_2308.jpg   IMG_2322.jpg   IMG_2332.jpg   IMG_2321.jpg  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Thanks for suggestion! I'm probably far from the only person to which YouTube has become the "How to do it!" for most anything I am in need of building or fixing... And... I pretty much always check descriptions. Often, the YouTube poster earns a penny or two if one clicks on their provided links -- which I look at as a teeny 'thank you' for sharing their wisdom.
    Sadly, on the Iguana hunting videos I watched what appeared were links to legal issues of taking Iguanas as well as booking info (in some cases) for their services. The actual gear employed was not specified.
    Hence, my inquiry to the brilliant members of this forum...
    geo

George I learned how to tie fly's and panfish jigs from Youtube. Great resource. Just learn to dig a little deeper in the well!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I live in South Florida and my friend and neighbor who live across the street on a canal has dispatched 98 iguanas in the past year from his dock. He’s using a break barrel pellet gun. Don’t know which one but it works for him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast