WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: NOE Expander with RCBS Die

NOE Expander with RCBS Die

I have several Lee 3-die sets (357 mag, 44 mag). In those, I use pistol NOE expander plugs in the middle die and it works great.

I bought RCBS steel 3-die set for 45-70 just to try a different brand. I notice though that an NOE expander plug will not fit in this it appears, as the expander is very tall, and threaded.

What would I do in this case?

I'm using cast boolits (.458 diameter), and both plugs I got were .002 and .003 neck tension so I could try both.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    I have several Lee 3-die sets (357 mag, 44 mag). In those, I use pistol NOE expander plugs in the middle die and it works great.

I bought RCBS steel 3-die set for 45-70 just to try a different brand. I notice though that an NOE expander plug will not fit in this it appears, as the expander is very tall, and threaded.

What would I do in this case?

I'm using cast boolits (.458 diameter), and both plugs I got were .002 and .003 neck tension so I could try both.
    two options, buy the Lee Universal Expander die (that's what the NOE expanders were made to fit) or buy an RCBS Cowboy expander. I was helping a non-reloader friend get set up loading 45-70 and I ordered a couple NOE expanders just like you did, but I had also ordered him the RCBS Cowboy reloading die set, The expander in the Cowboy set was/is absolutely perfect for loading cast boolits. I have yet to open the packages the NOE expanders came in.

I gotta wonder if you can order the cowboy expander post directly from RCBS. Their customer service is pretty good though, I'd call and see. They may just send it to you for free.

an FYI the Lee Universal Expander die is only $13.49 here: https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...eloading-dies/
    Last edited by oley55; 11-20-2022 at 08:33 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Awesome, thanks! I see now it is 2 different systems. My bad