MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Hiking boots

Hiking boots

I have a wide foot, as in 11- 5 or 6 E. I am looking for a hiking boot that will serve in cool (not frigid) weather and I have seen Propet Cliff Walkers that are wide widths and they look like they have plenty of toe room. I know they are made in China-like all too many other things-and I read some glowing reviews about them but Propet could have written them their selves. I am pretty sure that my fellow members here would tell the right story , so if anybody has any experience with them, I'd love to know. thanks, David
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a lot of years, but the best I ever had was Red Wing. I also have a wide foot and looked a long time til I wandered into a Red Wing store. The guy measured my foot and had me try on a number of pairs before declaring "That's the size you wear". They wore like iron. I was able to wear them in the summer with wool socks to help keep my feet cool, and cotton socks in the winter. I can't tell you what their quality is nowadays though. You're right, too many items are outsourced to make them cheaper.

You are right and I'm afraid that RedWing is doing the same thing. My problem is that the ones I have seen that have the rubber formed soles are made to fit much smaller widths than they are supposedly marked. The Xtratuf brown rubber boots that everyone in Alaska wears are super comfortable but even their widere width boots are too narrow for my foot and the rubber wont stretch over time.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I did find some, years ago; they were more like a cross between a lighter cross country ski boot and a hiking boot; just can't remember where I got them or the brand ?? Could try a mountain climbing, hiking store ?? Like REI ??

Boolit Buddy
    Russell Boots in Berlin, WI will make boots to your feet. Not cheap, but they have been doing it for over 100 years here. Rugged, repairable and if they are not right, they will make it right.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I went through a lot of boots including two pairs of Red Wings. I did a lot of packing in rough terrain. Nothing would hold up for me very long. Then I got a pair of White’s boots. I had never had a boot or shoe of that quality. I really put them through Hell. I had the heels redone twice. I had the Smoke Jumper model. One of the best things is the high heel. Sort of like a traditional cowboy boot. That heel makes so much difference when you are going down a steep hill. You can dig them in to keep your feet from sliding out from under you. The two pairs of Red Wings kept wearing the toe out. The sole on the Whites sticks out further and protects the toe. The lacing hooks are much more solid and never break, like they did on my RedWings. They may cost more, but they are worth it and cheaper in the long run.

Boolit Master

I prefer Lowa boots. Bought my first pair in 1970.
    Last edited by DDriller; 02-01-2023 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If they are available in the proper width take a look at the Asolo TPS 520 GV. These are an all leather, dedicated hiking / light mountaineering boot with a Gore-Tex lining. My first pair did good duty in the Alaskan mountains for about 15 years. After a lot of comparison shopping I bought a second pair that has served well for three years. The only negative for me is that they can’t be resoled. For half the money and half the use-life look at Keen’s heavier hikers. Xtra-Tufs are excellent until the terrain or your weight requires a rigid sole and stiffer ankle support. I leave them behind if traveling in the mountains and away from boats. Some foresters I’ve worked with liked high top Gore-Tex Danners.

With my bunions and arthritis, I think I am beyond hiking boots, I am pretty much an athletic shoe type person now, how I wish I could wear cowboy boots, just got to stick to the hats these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    If they are available in the proper width take a look at the Asolo TPS 520 GV. These are an all leather, dedicated hiking / light mountaineering boot with a Gore-Tex lining. My first pair did good duty in the Alaskan mountains for about 15 years. After a lot of comparison shopping I bought a second pair that has served well for three years. The only negative for me is that they can’t be resoled. For half the money and half the use-life look at Keen’s heavier hikers. Xtra-Tufs are excellent until the terrain or your weight requires a rigid sole and stiffer ankle support. I leave them behind if traveling in the mountains and away from boats. Some foresters I’ve worked with liked high top Gore-Tex Danners.
    Spot on in my book..... I would rank them the same. Asolo, Keen, Danner....although the Asolos are honestly rather in a league of their own. I'm wearing Keens currently, love them....my high-top firefighting boots are Danners, also love them.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have extra wide feet!
    For many years I used Wesco custom Boots. They served me well for lots of seasons of hunting, guiding, hiking.
    I retired my last pair a couple of years ago. I can no longer afford what they charge for them, however if I was still putting as many miles in the mountains I would find a way to have a pair made.
    I usually wear New Balance light hikers for day to day use. They are 12 6E.
    Two years ago I ordered a pair of Meindl Comfort Fit Extremes. They are 12EE but are made on a very wide last, especially in the front part of the foot. They are wider than any factory boot that I have ever tried!
    I used them on a very rugged sheep hunt, packing in with 55 lb pack for miles up a rocky stream bed.
    I highly recommend them !
    They are relatively expensive , but 1/3 the cost of custom boots.

Bob
    Last edited by BRobertson; 02-02-2023 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob - checked out the Westco website. Those custom boots look first rate!

Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    Bob - checked out the Westco website. Those custom boots look first rate!
    They are really amazing!
    It is like putting a pair of perfectly fitted gloves on your feet!

Boolit Mold
    Westco are absolutely great - couple other names to look at: Allen Boots, Helm, and Muck.

For casual hikers non custom not made in China, check out Merrell.
    Mine were very comfortable, water proof, and were pretty tough, and the Merrell's are made in Vietnam.

I've been buying Belleville military desert boots, a light weight tough, waterproof boot w/ gortex liner, w/ Vibram soles, and they're made in the USA. I've been wearing this brand boot over 20 years. I was hard on boots, lucky if a pair lasted a year. The Belleville hold up pretty good, they have wide and extra wide I believe? I order a 11 wide and they always seem to fit good.