RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Restoring anti-slip soles?

Boolit Master

Restoring anti-slip soles?

My son retired from his Army service in 2008, and gave me some of his clothes, including a nice pair of insulated combat boots. The soles were originally non-slip but apparently have gotten hard and slick over the years. We had cold, wet weather over the weekend so I put them on Sunday afternoon and went out to do some work. Half an hour later, I hit a slick spot on the deck and went down hard on my right shoulder. Fortunately, I still bounce so nothing more than a couple of bruises, but it really surprised me how bad the traction had deteriorated.

I’m thinking about either scuffing the soles with a sander, or maybe flashing them with a propane torch - but figured I’d ask here in case someone has already solved the problem.

Boolit Master

I'll say it since I'm past bouncing, say thanks for their service and buy new. Next time breaking instead of bouncing may be in store and not worth it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    I'll say it since I'm past bouncing, say thanks for their service and buy new. Next time breaking instead of bouncing may be in store and not worth it.
    That is definitely a third option - but I have trouble finding comfortable boots and these fit quite well. I have a new pair of Redwings that fit pretty well but they aren't insulated.

And I just turned 65 a few weeks ago so the next bounce might turn into a break...

Perhaps some kind of solvent will get them rubbery again.
    When I made a walnut stock for my Henry .45-70, I had an old orange shotgun butt pad that had gotten hard and slick, so I decided to use it on the Henry.
    It overlapped the stock I made so I sanded it down to match the profile of the stock.
    I also sanded the face of it to remove the hardened rubber.
    It now looks new and feels new.

I know it's hard to find a shoe repair man now days, but maybe they can be resoled.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

And I just turned 65 a few weeks ago so the next bounce might turn into a break... I hear ya - took a nose dive last week on the metal steps a work.
    I have seen peeps around here resole with snow tires or studded snowies. You will not slip in those ! and you will not be allowed in the house either

as a matter of fact I need some work done. The shop I know of closed. Did a search on line and several popped up.
    try an on line search
    Last edited by ascast; 01-24-2024 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

While some solvents may soften and rejuvenate the rubber solres they will also speed deterioration aging of them. Running a sander on them may be more than your arms hands want when the rubber grabs.
    Police and emergency providers here have the boots resoled check with them. When I was riding I had boots resoled it wasnt expensive. Ask around a see if there is a place near you. I found the new soles the guy here put on were better and lasted longer than what came on the boots.

What might help is a coarse wire brush on a grinder. But if the soles have hardened this will be only a short term fix. Its the softness of the rubber that gives the "grip" But again be ready have the boots secure and a good grip when you touch the grinder to the sole.

If the rubber has gone hard I don't think you'll ever get it back to pliable.

I would put a cut-off wheel on the angle grinder, and sipe them with grooves about 1/8" deep. (thinner the blade the better)
    jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

There used to be a product called "Regrip" that would soften and revitalize rubber.
    I don't know if it still exists, I used it during another lifetime when I wore a younger man's clothes.
    It was for restoring drive wheels and belts for things like phonographs, you know those things that used those big plastic disc that had music on them.

The big question is, why does rubber get hard?
    If you have enough money, I was going to say "lucky" but luck has nothing to do with it, just hard work, of course you could finance but then you have the payments.
    Anyway, if you have a new car, you are familiar with that "new car smell".
    That smell is the solvents evaporating out of the plastics, rubber, paint, leather, and wiring.
    You wonder why your windshield gets a film on the inside and you don't even smoke?
    Well, this is the solvents, you are also breathing it into your lungs, nice, huh.
    You ever wonder why people get lung cancer who never smoked?
    Well, I don't know, but it makes you wonder, think about it the next time you are looking to buy a new car.
    Oh yeh, not just cars.