WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife Buying Me A Lee Load All 12g For Christmas. Best General Purpose To Start

Boolit Grand Master

Wife Buying Me A Lee Load All 12g For Christmas. Best General Purpose To Start

Got 3 bags of shot from an auction and I finally am getting a Lee for Christmas. I know the parts but what would be a good all purpose load to start with? Shooting will be a little target but mostly rabbits and partridge. I need this information for wads, etc. Powder I can figure the load with the manual but would like an opinion on the a general load to start.

Going to use 7 1/2 to 8 shot, used hulls bought online.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I load 7/8 oz loads with the Pink Downrange Wads also some 3/4 oz loads with the green Claybuster 3/4 oz 12 ga wads. E3 or Extralite powder. Used to use Red Dot powder. Standard load was 1-1/8 oz and 17 to 18 grains of Reddot or 700x with AA wads or Rem Fig 8 Wads. Wads will depend on what hull you are loading and amount of shot you plan to load. If you live near a trap / skeet or sporting clays range, you can probably get some hulls out of the trash cans. Not many reload these days.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry about the shot size. I just looked at the bags and I have 50lbs of #6 and 50lbs of #8 lead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I load 7/8 oz loads with the Pink Downrange Wads also some 3/4 oz loads with the green Claybuster 3/4 oz 12 ga wads. E3 or Extralite powder. Used to use Red Dot powder. Standard load was 1-1/8 oz and 17 to 18 grains of Reddot or 700x with AA wads or Rem Fig 8 Wads. Wads will depend on what hull you are loading and amount of shot you plan to load. If you live near a trap / skeet or sporting clays range, you can probably get some hulls out of the trash cans. Not many reload these days.
    I've got a skeet range I can hear from my house that my neighbor owns. They shoot every day but I'm pretty sure with that amount of shooting they reload all the hulls. I've got plenty of Promo to use up and plenty of Unique. Those are the powders I think I'll try out.

1-1/8oz shot with Red Dot (Promo in my case) and AA wads sounds like a good place to start or a load that is similar to that. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

That's even better. I wouldn't shoot a rabbit with #7.5. It will kill them up close, but almost none of it passes through. #6 is acceptable for rabbits, lots of people use it. #5 works real good. Rabbit and squirrel is not usually a long range game, so this is one area I really like #4 shot. #5 will mostly pass through most of the time. #4 will almost always.

As for loads, normal target loads will work fine. A 1oz or 1 1/8 oz, the choice is yours. The following two are some of my favorites of hulls you can find easy, or buy for cheap.

12ga Federal 2 3/4" Top Gun (gen 3)
    Federal 209A
    15 gr 700x
    CB2100-12
    1 oz lead shot
    fold crimp

12ga Remington 2 3/4" Gun Club
    Winchester 209
    19gr American Select
    Winchester WAA12
    1 1/8 oz lead shot
    fold crimp

Boolit Master
    When I was able to still grouse hunt, I use AA trap loads with 7.5, don't remember the load, was just a standard trap load.

Boolit Buddy
    I find the WAA12 wads to be really versatile and all over the load manuals.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee makes some very innovative products, but that said, if you are going to reload a lot, I would have her look for a used Mec.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I would recommend getting a gas ram conversion for the Lee Loadall. Smoother operation & no more chalk board screeches.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

With a new Lee Load All , last I remember it came with data card and they make it simple and works great. Just know there is 2 types of hulls card and plastic. If you want to get deeper into it , get a Lyman Shot shell manual. It will help you on all . Other wise like stated best with a Mec V Jr single stage . I have a Lee Load all and works but got a Mec V later on .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    This is a tough one. Wife wants something new she can put under the tree but like others have said you will be much happier with a used MEC.....and I hate MEC's. But MEC's are a great way to start.

Get the Lyman manual as well. Well worth the cost. Hulls are free at most trap and skeet clubs.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

hodgdon's web site gives info that will help. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ If you have hulls start there, if not check a local trap range and see if they will part with some. It's not like pistols and rifles, you'll need to follow the recipes for shotgunning.

Boolit Master

I have been loading on one of those for years. Not fancy, but it has never failed and the targets can't tell the difference. Enjoy your gift.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I'd go 7/8 and save materials especially for plinking.. now if competition.. more shot is more chances to hit clay...

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not much of a shotgun guy so the Lee should load all I need and then some. I saw a sale today on Cheddite primers. $6.49/100 but hazmat at $25 I think so for a thousand your back up to $10/100. Good news is 1,000 will probably last me a lifetime.

Boolit Master

Something to look at, BPI Products often offers new, primed hulls for a very reasonable price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I would recommend getting a gas ram conversion for the Lee Loadall. Smoother operation & no more chalk board screeches.
    I give up...I cannot find any info on what gas ram conversion is or does. Would someone educate me?
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

Never heard of it, zero hits on google at all. He must be mistaken.

No, they are sold on ebay, every time I post a ebay link it gets nuked here.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

Zero hits on ebay searching "Lee load all gas ram conversion". If it existed in the past, it is no longer around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast