Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 fires when the safety is pushed forward

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!

Remington 700 fires when the safety is pushed forward

So I bought a new Remington 700 probably 15 years ago or so. Promptly installed a Timney item #501 trigger in it. The rifle probably has been fired less than 100 times. I also swapped out the factory stock for a Boyd’s thumbhole laminate stock.

Yesterday morning I harvested a whitetail and saw the muzzle flash in the scope. I remarked to my friend that it went off a little sooner than I expected...
    Yesterday evening I got to experience it discharge solely from the safety being pushed forward.

I can’t find the item #501 trigger on the timney website now. I’ve found a Gentry three position safety but it is out of stock everywhere.

The rifle drops the firing pin reliability just by moving the safety with the muzzle straight up while troubleshooting it today.

Do you still have the OEM trigger assy? If so, install it and call Remington warranty.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

trigger may be adjusted to light or there may be something holding the trigger back a bit. Take the action out of the stock and check again. Trigger engagement may not be enough. There are several things that can cause this problem. For a hunting rifle the trigger pull should be 3-4#. When I was shooting comp I had the trigger adjusted so light that as soon as you felt it the gun went off, not safe for a hunting rifle.
    A close friend bought a used Ruger and one time we were out hunting with it. It started to rain so he went back to his Jeep to get out of the rain. He tried to unload the rifle and the bolt would not open and he realized that the safety locked the bolt so he flipped the safety off. When I got back to the Jeep he could not hear a thing and the back window was gone. One of those days I thanked God that I was not in a big hurry to get out of the rain.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I have the factory trigger but sold the factory stock. Are you suggesting send it back and see if they upgrade it to the x-Mark trigger?

I’d rather pursue aftermarket solutions and fix it myself.

Boolit Master

IIRC, REMINGTON had a recall on the 700 trigger/safety. I know thefe was a class action lawsuit. I would do some research.

Boolit Master

I checked, Remington has recalled 1.3M Remington 700 rifles. I would contact them.

Boolit Buddy

Had that happen several years ago. Found a couple of brass bristles from last cleaning. Changed my cleaning method after that. GW

Boolit Buddy
    I think you need to clean and readjust the trigger.
    I still have the Miller trigger on my varmint 700 and it works as it should.
    Maybe you have set the Timney trigger way too light and it will not reset as it should.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I think you need to clean and readjust the trigger.
    I still have the Miller trigger on my varmint 700 and it works as it should.
    Maybe you have set the Timney trigger way too light and it will not reset as it should.
    I took it out of the package and didn’t adjust anything. Do gremlins molest it if it sits in the safe over eight years?

Boolit Buddy
    If one has the ability to clean and adjust a trigger, this thread from another forum is quite good. Otherwise send it to someone that is qualified.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...igger.4078949/

Super Moderator

I had a similar problem with my M-700 and Timney trigger installed. My rifle has a synthetic stock, and I think I over-tightened the stock screws. When I loosened them by a half turn, the problem went away. Might be worth a try anyway.

Boolit Master
    mine has a jewel trigger..and the safety has been removed completely,I believe it was done because of a similar issue... it was adjusted stupidly light,a think trigger if you will,think about touching trigger and it fired. I adjusted it to 2 1/2lb and havent looked back. first thing to do is contact remington .or a good gunsmith... not worth your life or someone elses for the sake of a few dollars to fix it properly.

Remove the firing pin from the bolt & check for accumulated oil residue & built-up junk. Clean everything (including bolt). Reassemble with lighter fluid or a very very light coat of oil. Same drill for the trigger. I'm not familiar with the Timney trigger. The OEM & Jewel trigger has worked well for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    So I bought a new Remington 700 probably 15 years ago or so. Promptly installed a Timney item #501 trigger in it. The rifle probably has been fired less than 100 times. I also swapped out the factory stock for a Boyd’s thumbhole laminate stock.

Yesterday morning I harvested a whitetail and saw the muzzle flash in the scope. I remarked to my friend that it went off a little sooner than I expected...
    Yesterday evening I got to experience it discharge solely from the safety being pushed forward.

I can’t find the item #501 trigger on the timney website now. I’ve found a Gentry three position safety but it is out of stock everywhere.

The rifle drops the firing pin reliability just by moving the safety with the muzzle straight up while troubleshooting it today.
    The first step should be contacting Timney to see if they will warranty their trigger.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The first step should be contacting Timney to see if they will warranty their trigger.
    The first step would be thoroughly cleaning everything then see if it is working properly or if you can re-create the problem.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Trigger out of adjustment or missing and/or broken spring in trigger assembly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The first step would be thoroughly cleaning everything then see if it is working properly or if you can re-create the problem.
    For you or I that would be the first step. The OP indicated that
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Yes I have the factory trigger but sold the factory stock. Are you suggesting send it back and see if they upgrade it to the x-Mark trigger?

I’d rather pursue aftermarket solutions and fix it myself.
    Why purchase a second Timney if they will warranty the first one?

Lots of people are not comfortable with adjusting or working on their own triggers.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I was able to send two Remington guns in for trigger repairs, to a local gun shop before the last bankruptcy was final. I do believe the new owners are off the hook on repairs.

I had a Timney trigger that just would not work. I sent the gun in and they took care of the repair. Sent it back to me free, my only cost was getting it to them. So not exactly free.

Banned

I had the same issue. I replaced my trigger on my Rem 721 with a Timney and I noticed when I installed it the tail end of the trigger slightly contacted the trigger guard. This caused the same issue you described. So i ended up having to file and modify a little to make sure the trigger did not touch the guard at all and it resolved the issue. I know a 721 is not the same as a 700 but just sharing an issue you might want to double check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast