Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 fires when the safety is pushed forward

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For you or I that would be the first step. The OP indicated that

Why purchase a second Timney if they will warranty the first one?

Lots of people are not comfortable with adjusting or working on their own triggers.
    I feel like Timney has a lifetime warranty. I haven’t studied the interaction of the parts to know anything about it. If the factory safety is the problem, then I’d rather buy an aftermarket unit instead of dealing with Remington. The Timney package I kept with the factory trigger in it does not have any safety parts in it, so I assume that the rifle still has a Remington safety. Maybe why it’s not on the Timney website anymore??

Is there’s a problem with the bolt? What does Remington do to fix them? Bad geometry somewhere? I’ll open it up and clean and check it out here soon. I was planning on it being my primary hunting rifle this season. Right now my priority is to load something else and continue hunting.

These rifles are known to fire from the factory when the safety was disengaged, prompting a recall of 1.3m rifles. Now we have one that also does it with an after market trigger with a reputation of being a quality product. Somehow I don't think the problem here is the triggers.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    The 700 used to be the small block Chevy of bolt action rifles. Seems like you could put enough aftermarket parts in it to get away from the flaw.

Boolit Master

The original walker trigger in the remington 700 was a good trigger. The triggers known to fire when disengaged seemed to be either dirty, set too light or not properly maintained. The Walker trigger had a separate hardened "shoe" over the trigger for sear engagement. If the trigger was dirty, too heavily lubed, or too light the "sear shoe" would not stay back against the trigger as designed. Timney. Shilen, Jewel, etc are not too much different than the Walker Remington trigger. What I think is the main difference is a one piece trigger/sear where the Walker trigger was a two piece.

Jewel and maybe others recommend rinsing the trigger with lighter fluid / naptha for maintenance and cleaning. It rinses dirt and grit out of the trigger and leaves only a minor lubricity behind. Triggers should not be oiled or greased.

Boolit Master

Not sure about the Timney, but Shilen triggers can come without the safety portion. They re-use the Walker trigger safety or similar safety parts can be purchased. All the Timneys i have had came complete with a safety.

Boolit Master
    Why not take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out? Chances are a good cleaning and proper adjustment will fix the problem.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I took it out of the package and didn’t adjust anything. Do gremlins molest it if it sits in the safe over eight years?
    Those gremlins can cause the oil to oxidize and prevent the proper movement of the internals of the trigger assembly.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    My wife bought me one of the first M700 V rifles in 223.I had it about 15 years without cleaning the trigger and it started firing ( factory trigger ) when the safety was pushed off. I sprayed it with brake cleaner and blew it off with compressed air several times and it has worked fine since then.

Recall some 30 years ago……I used this time to add a Timney trigger to mine. Never sorry.

Boolit Master

That your trigger seemed excessively light when you shot your deer is telling. Sounds to me like your sear isn't engaging fully with the firing pin.

The classic cause of this problem with the OEM trigger is dried up lube impeding movement of the parts - - often combined with the mechanism adjusted too light. Either or both prevents the parts from re-engaging properly. The hardened "shoe" on the factory unit mentioned in an earlier post is often not your friend either - adjust stuff too light and it can start to slip around.

If your Timney is out of the package and un-adjusted, start with a thorough flush out and lube with Zippo lighter fluid.

I wouldn't trust the bolt assembly as issued from the factory either - I have a 700 Police .223 that came out of the box with a bunch of gunk inside that caused light-strike fails-to-fire with extreme regularity, and if you know the 700 striker assembly at all, you can imagine just how much crud it would take to make that happen. Get that clean before you start experimenting.

The last variable is your aftermarket stock. Make sure that no part of it or your trigger guard assembly are dragging on anything.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Every m700 that comes here gets taken out the stock and the trigger assembly gets a liberal dose of B12 carb cleaner- just in case some goober lubed the trigger.
    I've owned several over the years and the only problem I've had was on a very cold elk hunt- my 700 30-06 started un-cocking itself on bolt closure. Congealed oil in the housing. Brake cleaner saved that hunt, because we couldn't find B12 in Walden, Colorado.
    The Remington 700 trigger was better than the Winchester 70, Savage 110, or Ruger M77 triggers back in the days. It could be adjusted to a nice 2 lb pull and be safe.
    Take yours out of the stock and try it again. If it works correctly, then you have a bedding problem.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I never could understand why you would want a 1.5-2.5 trigger pull on a hunting rifle, i set mine at a safe 3.5-4 lbs by adjusting them the right way.

Boolit Buddy
    As said earlier, loosen the action screws a little and check function of trigger. A friend "bedded" his action and tightened the rear screw first very tight and then tightened the front screw tight. The action was very slightly bent in an arc and every time he knocked the safety off his rifle would fire. Dont oil the trigger, clean all the old dry, gummy oil off.

Sad failure in the learning process about what a gun is for and how it must function to do its job. Keeping the gun clean is basic to it being able to perform its job in life. It ain't a tomato stake. Every day I get another non-maintained gun in the shop to fix, because it will not function due to pure crud.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Update. I removed the stock and the problem persists. I sprayed probably 1/4 can of qd contact cleaner in the trigger. No changes. I did observe the trigger flops back and forth so to speak. If I keep forward pressure against the trigger when closing the bolt or taking it off the safe position, everything seems normal.

If I was on a 10 day hunt miles away from civilization, I could put a foam earplug behind the trigger and keep hunting.

I’ll see if Timney publishes a phone number and if they answer.

Boolit Grand Master

Open 7am to 3pm

https://timneytriggers.com/

CALL 866-484-6639
    FOR PRODUCT QUESTIONS OR SUPPORT

Timney Triggers
    2020 West Quail Ave.
    Phoenix, AZ 85027
    Call us at 866-484-6639
    customerservice@timneyusa.com
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    . The Timney package I kept with the factory trigger in it does not have any safety parts in it, so I assume that the rifle still has a Remington safety.
    They offered one aimed at the bench rest market that didn't have a safety at all.
    I imagine some ended up on regular hunting rifles. They could be adjusted down to about a fraction of an ounce.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Open 7am to 3pm

https://timneytriggers.com/

CALL 866-484-6639
    FOR PRODUCT QUESTIONS OR SUPPORT

Timney Triggers
    2020 West Quail Ave.
    Phoenix, AZ 85027
    Call us at 866-484-6639
    customerservice@timneyusa.com
    Thank you.
    I left a voicemail with tech.

Boolit Master
    Many aftermarket triggers need some stock material removed to make room for the safety arm, Jewels especially. Like said above clean bolt and trigger check for clearance on safety lever, if that doesn't fix it readjust. When you think it is fixed try moving the safety and bump the butt plate on the floor while cocked and see if the firing pin drops.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-25-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a 700 ADL from 2018 and the trigger does not at all look like that of my best friend's ADL from 2002. It is kind of heavy but shoots well and I am happy with it as is. Are these later triggers known for any kind of problems?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast