Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remington 700 fires when the safety is pushed forward

Boolit Grand Master
    And make sure the stock isn't touching the trigger assy also.

Boolit Master

The biggest thing wrong with the Model 700 trigger is the people who insist on reworking/ them and do not have the skills or knowledge to do so. I asked an old time gunsmith about the 700 trigger way back years ago and his statement was "there is nothing really wrong with the 700 trigger except the owners who insist on working/adjusting on them that do not have the knowledge to do it". I have had 3 or 4 700's over the years and never had day one problem with the trigger or anything else about them, period. I still have an older 721, the 700 was just a gussied up revision of the 721. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy
    All this discussion about dirty, gummed up triggers.......

If the trigger was cleaned and NOT oiled in the first place, and a BORE GUIDE was used when cleaning the barrel, it would likely never had a problem, ever.

I've seen so many clean their guns at the range, no bore guide, solvent dripping off a patch, then a brush soaked and dripping.....or worse yet, dragging one of those nasty bore snakes through the action over the trigger. No wonder triggers fail.

The OP has stated that he removed the barreled action from the stock and when tested the problem persisted. He then stated he cleaned the trigger with an aerosol solvent and the problem persisted. Lastly he stated it is apparent that the trigger has insufficient or no return spring pressure because it moves with gravity and he has contacted Timney.

It's not the stock.
    It's not a dirty/ oiled trigger.
    There is a mechanical type failure.

Read the whole thread before jumping on the 'owner messed it up' bandwagon.

Boolit Master
    Not a 700, but I dealt with a savage 110 that had a poorly adjusted timney. A friend had it, and it would discharge without warning, so he had me look at it. The trigger was set ridiculously light, and there wasn't nearly enough sear engagement. I altered the engagement points to a safe level, and adjusted the pull up a pound or two, and he never had another problem. Those triggers have (or had) several dimensions of adjustment, and they all have to be mindfully set.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123