Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would I fix this?

I bought the gun btw. I looked into the high grade stock gun that someone else posted, however the seller was not helpful whatsoever as far as getting other photos, or trying to assess different questions I had. Therefore that was an immediate no go for me.

I looked at previous auctions and these don't come up too frequently, maybe one every 20 days, and I am impatient. After I bought it, the seller of this particular one mentioned it's one of the nicest 1886 he has come across of all the different ones he's sold, so that makes me happy.

Forend cap I will look at one of these bluing techniques once i get it in my hand, or im still open to paying someone to swap it.

Thanks guys!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Rust blue it, and it will be blue and stay blued.

Investment cast parts sometimes turn reddish color after a time when hot salt blued.
    Same with malleable iron such as used in some frames of older single shot break open shotguns and SxS shotguns. Hot salt blued and they often turn reddish colored quickly after.

You can 'slow' rust blue w/o any special chemicals. You only need something to make the surface rust. A very dilute soln of muriatic acid works fine.
    The clean surface coated with the soln and left to rust on it's own.
    When a fine coating is formed, the part is boiled in distilled water. The brown rust turns to blue/black oxide.
    You 'card' off the loose coating with 0000 steel wool and the blue color remains on the steel.
    Repeat process 3 to 4 times.
    Rinse with soap & water to kill any acid residue to prevent further rusting.
    Coat with linseed oil. Let part set for 24hrs or more.
    Recoat with any suitible 'gun oil'. Put back on the rifle.

Keep any oil and your fingerprints off of the surfaces while doing the process however. Uneven rusting will result. Parts(s) must be clean, clean when doing the process.

Awesome. Maybe it won’t look so purple in person. Pretty sweet rifle, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Awesome. Maybe it won’t look so purple in person. Pretty sweet rifle, congratulations.
    Thanks!!! I'm prepping for loading 45-70 now. All i need now is the boolits, and those arrive soon

These were my loads I was going to start with:

I did read that the browning 1886 can support all the way up to 48,000 PSI/CUP. I will of course not be going that high (I'm staying in trapdoor loads) but its good to know the extra safety buffer is there for the new-to-reloading me

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    I did read that the browning 1886 can support all the way up to 48,000 PSI/CUP. I will of course not be going that high (I'm staying in trapdoor loads) but its good to know the extra safety buffer is there for the new-to-reloading me
    You got it! And man it’ll be a blast and easy on the old shoulder.

Nice! Glad you bought it. Looks beautiful to me. If it shoots well, that's all I'd be interested in.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned earlier, I would put satin nickel on the cap. Would make a nice offset color against the rest of it.

Boolit Master

Money, lot's of money. You cannot fix it but lot's of money can.

Boolit Buddy
    You are going to end up with an ulcer, and life is too short.
    Enjoy a fine rifle the way it is, and be happy with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123