Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would I fix this?

How would I fix this?

I'm considering this gun but the forened cap is purple in color. This is a large annoyance because it's not really enough to stop me from buying it but its REALLY going to bug me.

Ive considered buying one like this:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PO70120

But I have no idea if the colors will not match (ie, completely black, not matching again)

If I sent this ONE piece off to get blued, could it be done to match the bluing of the gun? Or is there really only 1 sort of color. I can only imagine it might not match again if I did this.

Optionally, if anyone has this rifle (browning 1886) and it's not your favorite gun, I would pay you to swap foreend caps with me

Last edited by Mint; 11-20-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Master

I use to be able to buy new nose caps from Winchester for about $25 but they won't sell them now. If it is a cast nose cap it may not blue right. Ask this guy. Pinenut57@frontier.com , he does my bluing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    I'm considering this gun but the forened cap is purple in color. This is a large annoyance because it's not really enough to stop me from buying it but its REALLY going to bug me.

Ive considered buying one like this:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PO70120

But I have no idea if the colors will not match (ie, completely black, not matching again)

If I sent this ONE piece off to get blued, could it be done to match the bluing of the gun? Or is there really only 1 sort of color. I can only imagine it might not match again if I did this.

Optionally, if anyone has this rifle and it's not your favorite gun, I would pay you to swap foreend caps with me

That is a nice rifle, And that would bug me to. You might want to consider a phonalic replacement with a white or a red bone band.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Looks like just a picture illusion to me. Or perhaps oil on the part causing the color to seem more purple. Purple gun parts are generally caused from being investment cast. That’s why Ruger revolver frames are purple. That cap should be stamped and not cast. So it should not be purple in hand.

I emailed him to make sure it wasnt the photo and he said its definitely purple :/

If its reblued, would it have to be done with the barrel and receiver to make them all match?

Wow that’s odd. I’d say a reblued wouldn’t be purple but If the first one was, maybe it would be. That wouldn’t bother me, but I like purple bluing. And I don’t mind mismatched blueing.

It wouldn't bother me, I have one and I couldn't say what color it is. You could always have it CCH'ed.

Good grief....

Boolit Master
    take off your purple knob and apply some good quality black spray paint...job done.
    the options are endless....its a rifle not a Ferrari.

No big deal if it isn't something that belongs in a museum.
    I'd play around and try to cold blue it if a replacement can't be had at a decent price.
    If the bluing didn't turn out, I'd spray paint it too while I kept a eye out for a new one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It would not matter to me, If the gun is accurate ? That is all I am interested in. It's not to be used in a beauty pageant ??

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    take off your purple knob and apply some good quality black spray paint...job done.
    the options are endless....its a rifle not a Ferrari.
    Your socks aren't Ferraris either, but you want those to match

Really all i want is... if I'm spending a lot for a rifle, I don't want it to look like nan's mismatching quilt. Not a crazy idea.
    Last edited by Mint; 11-20-2022 at 05:16 PM.

Sounds like you need to pass on it.
    There is no guarantee that you will ever get it to match.

Just took a look at mine, it also has a very slight purplish hue to it. Never notice it in the 4 years I've had it.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't worry about it or send the cap off to EA Brown Co. and have a French Grey finish applied. That would give it a custom look. I would not let that stop me from buying an 1886 Browning. They were made in limited numbers, I think 7000 each for the standard grade rifles and carbines and 3000 each for the high grades. Both of my 1886 Brownings proved to be excellent in the accuracy department along with first rate fit and finish. The Brownings also do not have the annoying safety and rebounding hammer of the current Miroku Winchesters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Sounds like you need to pass on it.
    There is no guarantee that you will ever get it to match.
    I reckon if thats enough to derail the deal .......didnt want it in the first place ???

strip it off and cold blue it ---wont be purple anymore

It's the result of the hot bluing process when the chemicals are closely regulated, and it varies with the metallurgy of the alloy involved. Here's a quote from the Ruger forums, user lowegan;

Plum color on Ruger frames, loading gates and cylinders is quite common with older guns. It's actually a defect but many people ... especially collectors go nuts over defective bluing jobs.

Here's the skinny ... bluing salts are added to pure water to form a "super saturated solution". When mixed to the proper proportions, it goes to a low boil at 292 deg F, which is the ideal temperature for hot bluing tanks. Water boils at 212 deg F so you have to keep adding water or the solution will get too strong. If the solution is not carefully controlled where either the temperature gets too high or too much water boils off, the gun will come out of the tanks with a plum color.

Further, Ruger uses molybdenum in their frames, cylinders, and loading gate alloys. This strengthens the metal but has a nasty side affect ... in time, a nice bluing job will turn plum colored. Some times it takes several years for the plum color to show up ... sometimes it never does show up.

So ... a combination of the two above conditions ... older Ruger SAs could come right out of the box with a plum color or may turn plum in a few years .... either way, it's a defect in the bluing process that can be avoided. Ruger now uses an additive in their bluing tanks that prevent plum coloring. Brownell's sells it as "S" additive. BTW, you rarely see plum barrels because they are a different steel alloy.

NB! Molybdenum can be a culprit. A careful reblue job of just the nose cap may fix the problem. Or, as suggested, cold blueing, Brownells sells a bunch of
    different solutions. Another possibility is a nitre blue, yet another kind of process, commonly used on small parts. Iffen your that anal about a color match,
    buy a new gun. No gaurantee though, that over time, it could appear. So gradual that you may never notice.

My $.02
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Consider having that piece nickel plated? Or perhaps a couple pieces. For that two tone look. I’d buy it, and have the part blued and see how it does. You can always sell the gun if you can’t get it to suit.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd just be thrilled to own an '86 and call it good .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

I would not fix it and it would not bother me in the least. I do have Browning 86 carbine and 86 rifle. Next time I take them out of the safe I will check color but either way I could care less. I bought them to shoot not to look at.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast