WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: trimming 50 caliber cases

Boolit Master

trimming 50 caliber cases

trimming 50 caliber cases - what are you using? I have a Forster rig but 45-70 is about the limit. Looking for solution.

thanks
    all

Pretty sure that the Lyman case trimmer with the individual length gauges, it's cutter has a large enough diameter.

May be large enough to do 50 calibers. Pretty sure I used it on 470 N.E. and the 480 Ruger when I was fooling around with shot loads for the 480 using 45-70 as the donor case.

And the case holder takes standard shell holders and it's larger and easier to manipulate.

Nice thing about both the Lyman and the Lee, it's not difficult to make your own custom length gauges.

Don't remember trimming 50-70 brass with the Lyman but I may have. Geezer memory.

Boolit Buddy
    I trim 500 S&W cases in my old RCBS manual trimmer the cutter is close to the pilot but works

Boolit Buddy
    Little Crow WFTBB case trimmer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    Little Crow WFTBB case trimmer
    I thought the Little Crow indexed off the shoulder? Does it work on straight cases?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    No it indexes off the case shoulder, I was thinking 50bmg

Finally remembered to dig out the Lyman case holder and trimmer. Cutter measures just under .600 in diameter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221126_115313_resized.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	307288

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221126_115336_resized.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	307289

And the case holder uses a standard shell holder and is larger easier to hold and tighten, another plus for the Lyman.

This should trim your 50 caliber cartridges. If you can't get the correct case length gauge, they are easily made.

Piece of rod the right diameter for a slip fit in the neck, drill a hole to hold a straight decapping pin in one end. Super glue has worked for me in the past to hold it in.

Cut or grind it to the correct length from the back to the end of the body to pin end.

Then drill the correct diameter hole for the mounting pin in the other end. I'll "bite" the mounting pin with a linesman's pliers to make it a light press fit. I use super glue in addition to the press fit.

The Lee cutter is actually better in that respect to mount shop made length gauges because instead of a pin being forced in, you drill and tap the body, then thread the correct screw in with a little Locktite. Cut the head of the screw and you've got a length gauge that will work quite well.

I've made a number of them over the years for both the Lee and the Lyman. A fair number of the calibers I load are not "standard" anymore. Finding length gauges for things like 350 Rigby Magnum, 280 Ross or 8x50R isn't easy.

There is an article in the current Handloader Mag about loading .50 BMG. I had the thought that maybe have Lee make a "Whack a Mole" scaled up tool would be the best way to go since all other ways require a Special Press and Dies to do it. Then to trim the cases you would use a Lee style tool with a probe that fits thru the Flash Hole with a cutter up top.

I don't trim a lot of cases. All of my rifle cases get done with Lee Case Trimmers. I have no idea why they haven't come out with a .50 BMG Tool and Case Trimmer . It would be the cheapest and simplest way to accomplish his task.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

What are you trimming?

.50BMG, .50AE, or .50-120 cases down to .50-90?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Check if Lee makes a case trim cutter with lock stud and gauge for the caliber. I use one for 500 Jeffery.