Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun shows never fail to amaze me ........................

3031 is a great powder, never goes out of style for old timers. I go to two gunshows locally every year. There are 2 to 3 dealers I look for at those shows. They generally have some great obsolete loading components the black plastic gun guys don't want. Last show I managed to find 85 primmed 25 20ss for $2 each. He apologized for the price and I told him I considered $2 each far better than the $6 I see them sell for on Gunbroken. I ended up spending $300 at his table!

Boolit Buddy
    I set a table at our local gun show last Saturday. First one in three years. All but 2 tables were full. Mostly guns and knives and even some Christmas decorations, junk food. My buddy and I both wanted 2 tables each, but all were sold out. 2 guys never came so we could have had their tables, but it was after the starting bell and we had already set up, so we weren't going to start moving at that point.
    The stuff I sold was surprising and the things I thought were hot items, (Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, 9 mm, 45acp, 223, 308 ammo, scope, melter) didn't sell at all. I sold most of my hatchets, an oolik skinning knife, a Rambo knife and some trap loads, pistol and rifle ammo. Some lead bullets, a bipod, and red dot optic. I was hoping for a better return, but for some folks, it's just an afternoon of entertainment. Could have been a dog show for all it mattered.

I was watching the guy's table behind me, and I don't think he had sold a single rifle. Reasonable prices too and some very nice ones. One local guy makes very high-end knives and I never saw one being bought. So, it was weird/unknown just what the people were after. No rhyme or reason.
    Some dude was trying to tell me how to reload by starting at the max charge and then backing it off. Yeah, that's an accident waiting to happen. Another candidate for the Darwin awards.

Got the regular guys asking, "Got any primers?" "Do you load for (insert obscure caliber here)?"

I sold my primers 3 weeks before hand when a buddy found out I was going to put them in the sale. 16 sleeves of LRPs, for $10/sleeve.

There is another sale next month in the area, but they want $60/6' table. Too pricy. I would need 2 tables

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Some dude was trying to tell me how to reload by starting at the max charge and then backing it off.
    They're out there............

A friend of a friend told of how the reloading books were all written by company lawyers,
    and there was no reason not to start at the max. and work UP like he did.

I just shook my head and told him if I wanted a .300WinMag, I'd buy one instead of trying to make my own out of a .308.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'll try it again in February . I did do alright as far as not having to carry a lot back home . It's just I was surprised the powder did not sell . Most of the rest of reloading gear sold and all of the gun parts .

I got a couple of requests for parts so I'll look in the dungeon and see what I have .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I stopped going to gun shows before COVID. Half the tables have no guns. The surplus tables I used to enjoy are full of cheap reproduction stuff. Plenty of food and cheap knives. Last show I went to it only took me 10 min to go through and see that I wasn't interested in anything there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12