RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6000 .38 Spl - The Journey Starts

After some time of buying this press and loading hundreds of .223, I am now aware that Lee has since made many more shell plates than when I got mine. I guess I was using the wrong shell plate for .223, I think this will eliminate some of the observed case wobble during it's operation. I still think Lee should make a dedicated 9mm shell plate, maybe in time.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Between my ABLP & Pro4k this is now clutch #3, I'll probably get a dozen next time.
    How difficult is it to change the clutch?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by powwowell View Post
    How difficult is it to change the clutch?
    About 20-30 minutes.
    Don Verna

It's simple. First remove the die that isolates the index rod, pull up & out the index rod, raise the ram, wiggle or pick out the clutch, insert $3 clutch and reassemble.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Yesterday I finished parking my shell plates, struck match black. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plates.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	316837

So how do you parkerize? And you do it to prevent rusting? ....or eyestrain....?

Thanks for the clutch changing instructions.....I'll save that post for if I ever ruin one. So far, the first one is healthy still. But I'm teaching my grandson to reload so the possibility goes up with two users. What do you think causes them to die? Forcing something? Speed? or just bad luck?
    Last edited by GWS; 08-10-2023 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's simple. First remove the die that isolates the index rod, pull up & out the index rod, raise the ram, wiggle or pick out the clutch, insert $3 clutch and reassemble.
    Don’t believe you. Show a couple of pictures if it is that easy.

edited:

deces is correct. I have one of the early presses and the manual does not show it, but the new instructions show the bottom of the carrier plate and the clutch. I just took mine out and it took about two minutes...easy peesy.

THANK YOU DECES!!!

Look at page four where they show the different index rods.

https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/SixPackPro.pdf
    Last edited by dverna; 08-11-2023 at 12:05 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    WOW! I am astonished. Thanks for the instructions.

Larry

I really like my APP and 6000, but that said, I don't understand why Lee can't document them properly the first time. From hours to minutes....with just some good instructions....amazing...... Then there's the other end of the spectrum: buy a Dillon....get real comfortable in your easy chair, with your reading glasses and some good light, and spend a few hours reading and studying their tome, then repeat because you can't remember everything in one reading!

But with the Lee machines it my own fault too......I bought early and became one of many prototype beta testers! So Lee Precision are the smart ones. Get paid from beta testers instead of providing free equipment to them. When I bought mine, I betcha even Lee didn't know how to change clutches fast.

Did I read that right.......the clutch can be rotated 90d and used like new, so you can actually use a clutch until you break it a second time before you have to replace it.?

Deces......parkerizing......please?
    Last edited by GWS; 08-11-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    So how do you parkerize? And you do it to prevent rusting? ....or eyestrain....?

Thanks for the clutch changing instructions.....I'll save that post for if I ever ruin one. So far, the first one is healthy still. But I'm teaching my grandson to reload so the possibility goes up with two users. What do you think causes them to die? Forcing something? Speed? or just bad luck?
    Yup, after the effects of humidity took over my Hornady LnL, I can't stand looking at bare metal on presses. I'm not going to let this press go. I figure the black shellplates will really cut down on glare with the KMs2 light just above as well.
    I think we can work something out, I'll send you a PM.

It seems Lee is still offering quality of life improvements for the Pro6K and other presses.
    https://www.leeprecision.com/92040-r...c-turret-press
    https://www.leeprecision.com/auto-dr...adapter-updateClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 21-36-09 Lee Precision Inc.. Deluxe Auto-Drum Update Kit.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	320842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 21-35-18 Lee Precision Inc.. Roller Handle Upgrade Kit for Six Pack Pro.png 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	320843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 21-35-06 Lee Precision Inc.. Roller Handle Upgrade Kit for Six Pack Pro.png 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	320844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 21-34-46 Lee Precision Inc.. Roller Handle Upgrade Kit for Six Pack Pro.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	320845

Boolit Master
    I buy and use Lee equipment but gave up on their progressives. That's on me and not Lee. Sometimes I wonder if the guys who put these machines together could really make them run if they reloaded on them.

Would that have been the old Pro 1000 press?
    They kind of made the setup & indexing fool proof now, problem is that it now breaks a $3 clutch if you are doing something wrong and force the press.
    Last edited by deces; 12-11-2023 at 02:03 AM.

I got a few of these to match my auto drums, they are actually pretty nice for screwing into a lee powder drop die, it's so much more easy yo do and it eliminates 2 tiny and now useless parts for the powder drop assembly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13-47-53 Lee Precision Inc.. Deluxe Auto-Drum Update Kit.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	322258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13-47-40 Lee Precision Inc.. Deluxe Auto-Drum Update Kit.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	322259

Boolit Master
    I got a few of these to match my auto drums, they are actually pretty nice for screwing into a lee powder drop die, it's so much more easy yo do and it eliminates 2 tiny and now useless parts for the powder drop assembly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13-47-53 Lee Precision Inc.. Deluxe Auto-Drum Update Kit.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	322258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13-47-40 Lee Precision Inc.. Deluxe Auto-Drum Update Kit.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	322259
    Just curious, does this new setup possibly move the drum all the way up to the drop hole and all the way down so the hole in the drum will align with the drop tube better? One of the reasons I don’t really use my two Autodrums is because I feel like if they would have designed the rack and pinion setup less sloppy then it would drop loads more consistently.

Boolit Master
    Watch the dodad that pushes the case into the shell plate , if it is cocking to one side when it backs away it may drag the case it just fed partially out of the shell plate. If it does remove the dodad and remove the screw that holds the two half's together and sand one side to tighten the dodad up on the rail when reassembled .
    Trial and error try it on the rail as you go to make sure it slides freely but has reduced play.
    My 6000 works great but needed a little extra work to get setup.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Just curious, does this new setup possibly move the drum all the way up to the drop hole and all the way down so the hole in the drum will align with the drop tube better? One of the reasons I don’t really use my two Autodrums is because I feel like if they would have designed the rack and pinion setup less sloppy then it would drop loads more consistently.
    This new assembly is tight. I know what you mean by the slop, On the powder die body where the knurled nut slips in and the post is inserted, you can tighten up the play by pinching the casting in a vise (do at your own risk).

The main purpose of the red adapter and new stem is to eliminate the need for a Lee powder measure riser every time. It is a little shorter than a riser but, but you are not limited in using a riser if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Watch the dodad that pushes the case into the shell plate , if it is cocking to one side when it backs away it may drag the case it just fed partially out of the shell plate. If it does remove the dodad and remove the screw that holds the two half's together and sand one side to tighten the dodad up on the rail when reassembled .
    Trial and error try it on the rail as you go to make sure it slides freely but has reduced play.
    My 6000 works great but needed a little extra work to get setup.
    Good luck.
    I would consider giving the new Universal Case Feed magazine featuring 5 feed tubes a try. It's pretty slick.
    I always thought that lee's 4 tube case feeder design was inferior to what the 3D printing community brought to the world. Lee took noted and even surpassed the function on many levels.

Boolit Master
    I read this post from front to back. I came to one conclusion: I don't want any progressive presses, No Lee,Hornady,Dillon,or any other I haven't heard of. I'll stick with my single stage and my turret.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    I would consider giving the new Universal Case Feed magazine featuring 5 feed tubes a try. It's pretty slick.
    I always thought that lee's 4 tube case feeder design was inferior to what the 3D printing community brought to the world. Lee took noted and even surpassed the function on many levels.
    Here is a different case feeder for the 6 pack, for sale on etsy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFqC40D-Bn0
    on etsy for $40 from Norway:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/grimnir3d/?etsrc=sdt

Thank me later,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast