Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6000 .38 Spl - The Journey Starts

The folks at Lee Precision must of hired one of those psychics that you see on TV that solve murder mysteries for the police and read our minds. It looks like they will now be offering a much larger brass collection bin, to go along with their presses. I like that it differs from the Akro bins, in that all edges run up the entire length of the container without having to tuck in a business card or one of those $5 gates that Inline Fabrication sells.
    Thanks Lee.
    https://leeprecision.com/plastic-sto...tainers-6-pack
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I actually loved my Pro1000 EXCEPT for the fact that it would fail to charge cartridges once in a while and I had no way to find out until I pulled the trigger and got fizzle instead of bang. I got so tired of carrying a rod and a hammer to the range to knock bullets out of my 1911's barrel that I finally gave up after about 2,000 rounds and threw it out. I wished for a 4-station unit with a powder check die, but it was not to be.

My next progressive will probably be a Dillon.

Out of curiosity, what powder dropper were you using?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yeah, and it seems the tiny necks don't work that great with my powder checker either. The good thing there is the difference between a filled and empty case is dramatic, there would be no mistaking an empty case. Zero chance of double charges with regular loads. What I did for a charging die was to take an NOE plug for a 44 caliber, drilled it through for powder, then on the bottom I drilled it to just under the shoulder diameter, I forget the size. I then drilled the center just over neck size. So it actuated off the case shoulder. It worked really well, right up until a case neck got in there crooked. I'm going to drill the neck portion even bigger, and/or chamfer it heavily. If I place an order with NOE, I'll try their powder through expanders. I've not tried them yet.
    Sorry I'm slow replying, but I've been testing my FeedNSeat in .223, and tomorrow the .308 version will be ready to test. I think the NOE ptx's will be perfectly adequate for pistol, unfortunately nobody makes windowed seaters for pistols.....wish they did.

With the Lee 6000 they made a ledge with bolt holes on the left side of the sub shellplate, which made it simple to make the FeedNSeat idea work on them. Short video below shows how that works for the .223 rifle FeedNSeat:

Sorry for the cartridge wobble....I used the 9mm shell plate to save time, being already setup. Same with both videos.

Next video shows how it spits them out pretty efficiently, using RCBS rifle bullet feeder die, and RCBS Gold medal Seater with a window.
    The plan for both .223 and .308 is to 1. Seat, 2. prime and expand neck with an "M" shelf, 3. charge with powder, 4. powder cop, 5. FeedNSeat, 6 tapercrimp.

Now, if Lee would make new pistol seaters with above the press bullet insert windows, like several already do for rifle, I'd do the same thing with pistol, except pistol could use the powder through powder die with "M" step and could do it on any 5 station press.......that would be awesome. Of course mounting the vertical pushing part would have to be modified for each press.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-01-2023 at 01:02 AM.

Looking from the top down in your last video, now I get it. That is pretty neat I must say.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Sorry I'm slow replying, but I've been testing my FeedNSeat in .223, and tomorrow the .308 version will be ready to test. I think the NOE ptx's will be perfectly adequate for pistol, unfortunately nobody makes windowed seaters for pistols.....wish they did.

With the Lee 6000 they made a ledge with bolt holes on the left side of the sub shellplate, which made it simple to make the FeedNSeat idea work on them. Short video below shows how that works for the .223 rifle FeedNSeat:

Sorry for the cartridge wobble....I used the 9mm shell plate to save time, being already setup. Same with both videos.

Next video shows how it spits them out pretty efficiently, using RCBS rifle bullet feeder die, and RCBS Gold medal Seater with a window.
    The plan for both .223 and .308 is to 1. Seat, 2. prime and expand neck with an "M" shelf, 3. charge with powder, 4. powder cop, 5. FeedNSeat, 6 tapercrimp.

Now, if Lee would make new pistol seaters with above the press bullet insert windows, like several already do for rifle, I'd do the same thing with pistol, except pistol could use the powder through powder die with "M" step and could do it on any 5 station press.......that would be awesome. Of course mounting the vertical pushing part would have to be modified for each press.
    That is pretty darn cool. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post

Where can we find your STL? I'd like to give this a try.

Afraid that's several .stls. You could combine them into one, but the file size is harder to share by .zip, too big. Attaching the .223 size files. In process of zipping the .308 size.....if you want them, let me know.

Here's a picture of the 4 parts and how they combine: (3 machine screws holding the blue part on and holding up the pusher are 6-32, and they self-thread just fine in PLA. The bigger screws you'll have to just drop in through the holes in the press subplate, and use nuts.)

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GWS; 05-18-2023 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks GWS, I'll be trying this with the Frankford Arsenal universal seating die first, when I get the parts made up.

The RCBS die has a "gate" that blocks the bullet from falling. It is raised and the bullet falls into the case by the case rising. Don't know how the FA die works, but probably similar. One caveat with the "gate" is a recessed ring RCBS made to insert their logo and caliber embossing.......I filled that first, with clear fast setting epoxy, so the bullet doesn't hang on the inset's ridges.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-20-2023 at 01:52 PM.

I posted a video in THR of how the .308 version turned out......all the .stl's are there too.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12630453
    Last edited by GWS; 05-20-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    OK, looks like this thread has become all things Six Pack so...
    Looks like Lee now offers a "Soft Twist" index rod for the Six Pack to minimize shell plate snapage and powder spillage of short cases :
    https://www.leeprecision.com/six-pac...wist-index-rod

And I found this 3D printed gate for the case feeder:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1449561..._1&sca=1&sts=1
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Well, I got one of these new slow twist rods from Lee and I don't think it's going to be a popular item, not for .223 anyway. I have been testing a few different accessories for this press and I have found that with this new rod & the DAA powder check, it causes empty brass to bind up on the inside of the powder check probe on .223 cases mid-length on the down stroke (not good). The original rod is fine with the powder check & .233. I also noticed the press is acting like I'm short stroking it, even though I'm now, maybe my clutch is broken again.
    More testing & updates soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Well, I got one of these new slow twist rods from Lee and I don't think it's going to be a popular item, not for .223 anyway. I have been testing a few different accessories for this press and I have found that with this new rod & the DAA powder check, it causes empty brass to bind up on the inside of the powder check probe on .223 cases mid-length on the down stroke (not good). The original rod is fine with the powder check & .233. I also noticed the press is acting like I'm short stroking it, even though I'm now, maybe my clutch is broken again.
    More testing & updates soon.
    duces,

I ordered the slow twist rod but I am only planning to load pistol cases. While on their site, I ordered four clutches and more primer shuttle springs. I think those parts will be in the Achiles heel of this press.

Just too busy on other things now but hope to get into more reloading. I will likely convert to loading 9mm as that seems what we will be shooting the most this year.
    Don Verna

The new rod should work perfectly fine for pistol cases, if the indexing problem is just my clutch. What Lee did was elevate the length of twist on the rod, it is much more gradual over a longer distance. That is why it wont work with the DAA powder check & .223, not really their fault it doesn't work with aftermarket products, at least the old rod works.

Between my ABLP & Pro4k this is now clutch #3, I'll probably get a dozen next time.

Double Alpha Magnetic Powder Check on Lee Six Pack Pro

The plunger on the DAA Magnetic Powder may interfere with the ability to index the Six Pack Pro. This happens when the plunger hangs too low into the case and the indexing motion begins before the plunger is out of the case.

An easy and quick remedy is to affix a zip tie or similar to the rod to prevent the rod returning fully to the bottom. See the attached image for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 15-37-39 Tieing up rod.jpg (JPEG Image 3024 × 4032 pixels) — Scaled (16.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	316582

Boolit Buddy
    I’m still on the fence ordering one of these presses.
    Is Lee updating the press to correct issues with it since first sold?
    Is the primer system reliable?
    Are the die’s located too close together that they interfere?
    Is this breech lock system supposed to be better than a tool head?
    How easy is it to caliber change the dies out for repeatability?

"Is Lee updating the press to correct issues with it since first sold?"
    More than I've ever seen Dillon or RCBS do in the first year. Yes they have corrected a few things, and for those who bought early, have replacement parts to upgrade.

"Are the die’s located too close together that they interfere?"

I'm sure that's a matter of opinion......but I haven't found a problem that I couldn't handle fairly easy. I do like to use a cardoor handle remover to make it easier to loosen the back ones.....but that said, you can remove the ones in reach...then do what you want with the ones less in reach...then replace the first one.

"Is this breech lock system supposed to be better than a tool head?"

No....or it depends on your druthers. Somes like tool heads somes like bushings. For bushings they work fine. I prefer tool heads, but I like this press just fine.....and I don't plan to change calibers on it every day, anyway.

"How easy is it to caliber change the dies out for repeatability?"

Caliber change is not hard, just start from the front, apply the tool, twist C.C a quarter turn and remove. Repeat 5 more times......(tool heads have the advantage there, but still better than screwing them in.)

Repeatability? I've never been enthralled with Lee's "O" ring system that requires you to remember every time, not to touch the die when you remove, insert, or even handle the dies. Only touch the Die Ring. So being less than perfect, I prefer the ones they also sell that have set screws.....with the set screws tight, I don't worry about repeatability.

The press works fine.....primer system isn't perfect, won't feed the last 3 or 4, and sometimes the little "knocks" to encourage more primers to fall down the chute doesn't.....but then I've never found a perfect system. It is safe....the important thing....you do have to be aware, and never let your guard down. Make sure every stroke primes....that's doable and smart......or do what a lot of people do on their progressives, blue,green, or red.....hand or bench prime. But remember, if you don't finish the UpStroke of the handle, you are not priming......that's called user error, and I've done that during the learning process and probably so has most.

The Mark 7 press may have finally made the first perfect priming system....may have. But for that money they better have....and that's only with their new vibrating shuttle disk, and no "user" error. Lee's press might be more perfect with some kind of vibrator.
    Last edited by GWS; 08-03-2023 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    I’m still on the fence ordering one of these presses.
    Is Lee updating the press to correct issues with it since first sold?
    Is the primer system reliable?
    Are the die’s located too close together that they interfere?
    Is this breech lock system supposed to be better than a tool head?
    How easy is it to caliber change the dies out for repeatability?
    From what I've read, Lee has been updating/correcting issues continuously since its release, using the 1st buyers as beta testers.
    The updates have died down now, and the complaints have mostly stopped.
    Here's some recent vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eloading+press

Here's a couple of threads without many up-to-date postings, so the bugs have been worked out... for now:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-press.905987/

Reading them back to front will get you the latest info.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...stency.911743/

Last edited by Kenstone; 08-03-2023 at 11:40 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast