RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6000 .38 Spl - The Journey Starts

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 6000 .38 Spl - The Journey Starts

Got the press and In-Line Fabrication plate this week. Started down the path today. So far not feeling much love.

Mounted the press to the QC plate and press would not cycle all the way. No biggy. The mount works with the RC and Co-Ax but had to move it forward on the bench. I have the intermediate mount and it may have not been a problem with the taller mount.

Decided to make sure everything works before trying to load as this press must perform as a progressive with reliable case feeding for it to pass my evaluation. Setting up the case feeder is a bit of chore and it looks really mickey mouse. Being a PITA to set up is not going to be an issue with me as I will buy another Lee 6000 in 9mm if this works. I only load these two calibers in enough quantity to need a true progressive with case feeder.

Loaded up the tubes by hand and it jammed on the second tube...about 15 cases in. As I ran the rest of the cases through, the shell plate is not indexing fast enough and/or will "hiccup". Works if I go slow and watch it but that is unacceptable.

Took shell plate off to lube the underside but that did not help. Had some issues getting it back together.

Not indexing so it looks like the driver clutch is damaged. Too frustrated to take it apart now and we are leaving soon to visit friends.
    Last edited by dverna; 11-20-2022 at 10:24 AM.
    Don Verna

Mine came without a shellplate.....had to order it separately. Seems like I had that happen when I first tried to install that plate, and unscrewed it and tried again.....and it worked fine. Hope yours will too...... Mine's still not mounted to the bench ......QC plate didn't come in still. That's a problem living in New Mexico. USP and UPS is sssslllloooowww.

Sometimes with Lee's instructions you have to stare at them for a while! Not much to read.....so stare......

Boolit Grand Master
    GWS, I agree with the mediocrity of the instructions. I am not a J. Morris but not a Karen either. (Mechanical engineer and hold a half dozen patents.) I suspect only one of the guys I hunt with could set this press up.

I did force the press a little when it had its first hiccup and I should have mentioned that. I did not "muscle" it, but I take the blame for causing the issue. BTW, I have "forced' the 1050 a bit at times too, but anyone getting this press needs to realize this press does not seem to be built to take much abuse.

One last thing, before trying to feed cases I notice there was a sound like a spring releasing when cycling the press empty. The primer and case shuttle springs were not the cause of the noise.

I should also report that I am starting with super clean once fired Federal cases. Jam was not caused by using mixed HS cases. It was caused by shell plate not indexing completely and case getting rammed into the shell plate. I was running at a speed of about a case every three seconds and shell plate was fully charged with cases. I need to check is if there is enough friction with the shell plate fully loaded to cause the plate to hang up slightly.

I plan to take the press apart today to get to the drive clutch and will report back. I am hoping it is something I can fix or make out of aluminum. I have sent Lee a request for a replacement part and a spare.
    Don Verna

I asked the gurus over at THR.org what they thought and this was offered. At least things to look for:

1) Plastic Cup of the driver clutch fell out and did not get put back in. (look on the floor?)
    2) Cross broken in the Plastic Cup of the driver clutch.
    3) Index rod not put back in, or put back in right.
    4) Shell plate loose on drive bolt

That is about it

Boolit Grand Master
    GWS,

First thanks for the assistance!

I found the shell plate was a bit loose and that was the issue. Once tightened down it indexes.

There is an issue with feeding cases. The cases bounce when they hit the feed ramp. If the feeder drop tube is too close to the press, the case can get too close to the press and the case will hit the frame when the ram is raised. Also, very occasionally, the case does not seat all the way into the shell holder. This can happen initially when the case is fed into the shell holder, but I have also noticed the case back out as the shuttle returns. That will cause the case to jam as the shell plate indexes. I may add some chamfers and break some edges if it continues.

The .38 Spl calls for having the riser installed on the case shuttle and it does not seem to help much. Still evaluating what to do there. I get the occasional case that falls off the ramp and sometimes a double feed.
    I think having a case specific shuttle would help but I will need to make one out of wood once I find the right profile. Unlike you 'advanced' tinkerers, I do not have a 3D printer. I may try duct seal putty to experiment with. The shuttle jaws are huge. I think partly due to being "universal" but also because the case jumps when it hits the ramp and can move off center.

Tomorrow, I hope to give the primer system a test. The cases I have are unprimed so taking baby steps to keep variables as few as possible.

I am really hoping this press will work. I don't mind adding a few bits and pieces to get it running well.

Just a bit of a rant. Stuff like this is what causes issues for Lee. Instead of a "universal" case feeder shuttle offer a few different options that make feeding cases to the machine more reliable.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

This press is sounding more and more like a six hole Pro 1000, as I had the same exact problems with the case feeder on them. At one time I had four of them running for different calibers because once you get one set and running smooth, you dare not touch it.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Kenstone; 12-02-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Got the press and In-Line Fabrication plate this week. Started down the path today. So far not feeling much love.

Mounted the press to the QC plate and press would not cycle all the way. No biggy. The mount works with the RC and Co-Ax but had to move it forward on the bench. I have the intermediate mount and it may have not been a problem with the taller mount.

Decided to make sure everything works before trying to load as this press must perform as a progressive with reliable case feeding for it to pass my evaluation. Setting up the case feeder is a bit of chore and it looks really mickey mouse. Being a PITA to set up is not going to be an issue with me as I will buy another Lee 6000 in 9mm if this works. I only load these two calibers in enough quantity to need a true progressive with case feeder.

Loaded up the tubes by hand and it jammed on the second tube...about 15 cases in. As I ran the rest of the cases through, the shell plate is not indexing fast enough and/or will "hiccup". Works if I go slow and watch it but that is unacceptable.

Took shell plate off to lube the underside but that did not help. Had some issues getting it back together.

Not indexing so it looks like the driver clutch is damaged. Too frustrated to take it apart now and we are leaving soon to visit friends.
    There might be a milling chip in the clutch, it's an easy part to remove with the indexing rod out. I found some on my pro 4k, it didn't cause a problem, but I was kinda shocked at what I found, the press still carries on to this day.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

There are a lot of things people do for Lee's wonky case feeder system. 3D printing as improved upon it to the point of it being completely different in appearance. Another thing people do it get nylon 1/4-20 bushings of different lengths for each of their common calibers for quick swaps. I can see Lee redoing their vision of case feeding down the road if this press takes off. Even a simple wingnut in the place of the bottom nut is an improvement.
    Last edited by deces; 11-20-2022 at 06:11 PM.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post

""the case can get too close to the press and the case will hit the frame when the ram is raised""

That issue is the same with the 4000 and fixes have been posted about it.
    One fix is a 3D printed piece and the simplest is just taping a piece of plastic on the face of the frame that hangs down to block the gap under the frame where the case bounces into and hits the frame when raised.
    jmo,
    Here is just the very part. Oh yeah, if anyone can print me a couple, please message me, Thanks.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4683770

I found the shell plate was a bit loose and that was the issue. Once tightened down it indexes.

The .38 Spl calls for having the riser installed on the case shuttle and it does not seem to help much. Still

Tomorrow, I hope to give the primer system a test. The cases I have are unprimed so taking baby steps to keep variables as few as possible.
    The case slider tends to drag "large" cases back at times because of how loose it is on the rail. Lee will have a new one "mid-December".

I have not noticed it with 38 spl but 44 mag and 45 acp seem effected by this.

I did 100 38 spl cases priming with no other operation as a test and had zero failures or issues (I did 100 each of all six pistol calibers I reload and had zero failures or issues, I keep tray full/refill as soon as it has emptied into trough.)

I will see how it goes with case feeder when a real run is done but on previous Lee press with this feeder I did ok with 38 spl.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

Boolit Grand Master
    Keystone, thanks got the tips. Adding a plastic barricade is the first modification I will do. Simple and elegant.

Gillie Dog, thanks for the info on the improved case shuttle.

Deses, the wing nut is good solution. I think I will use them to replace the two lower nuts. Might be unnecessary for long term use but handy for dialing in. My plan is to use the 6000 as a dedicated press so once it is dialed in, I will not be changing calibers.

Appreciate the help guys!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    OOPS

Last edited by Kenstone; 12-02-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Here is just the very part. Oh yeah, if anyone can print me a couple, please message me, Thanks.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4683770
    Check on ETSY, there are kits for the case feeder there.

Boolit Grand Master
    More frustration.

Primer rod will stick and jam the press and primer shuttle. Seems like any little bit of dirt and it hangs up. First time was with some Clean Shot powder (fine grain). Got it running for a dozen cases and it jammed again.

The primer flipper thingy is not suited for Federal primers that come in a larger box. Not a big deal as I can dump them into another tray and pour them into the Lee flippy thingy. But with the lid "locked" I still get 4-5 primers escaping the tray. Again, not a big deal as I can shake them into the same tray. Just more PITA stuff. Nice not needing primer tubes but I doubt the plastic thingy will last 20k rounds. I tried to load 50 rounds and have given up for today.

Will take another shot at it tomorrow.

The primer stem issue is a concern at this point. Will try coating it in grease so dirt/powder does not go down the stem. Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Just as a comparison. None of my Dillions have been this "needy".

Lee is sending a new clutch disk. The original seems to work if I orient the flat bar into the part of the "x" part of the plastic disk that is not deformed from my first jam up.
    Don Verna

The primer stem issue is a concern at this point. Will try coating it in grease so dirt/powder does not go down the stem. Any other thoughts are welcomed.
    That's a possibility, but you could also try burnishing powdered graphite into the stem and the shell plate hole to make both slicker. I've used a Q-tip for burnishing holes and just cotton cloth to burnish convex surfaces.....I've been successful burnished Lee plastic parts too....good luck.

Wondering why all the spillage? Not that far along with mine yet to experience that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Thanks for the link
    I have been off searching utube for vids of that and searching over on THR.
    Some pics here:
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12427284
    As mentioned before, that could be easily replicated with a piece of plastic bottle duct taped to the surface.

I found another version that moves up and down:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/dZ12vDbI8gk

And something different, a spring-loaded gate/escapement mounted to the 1/4-20 feeder bolt:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3cOO6qP59HM
    check them out,
    Can you please PM me a esty link? I can't find one on there for the life of me. I do like the idea of the sliding one in that video.
    Last edited by deces; 11-22-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got up early hoping for more wisdom to deal with the sticking primer stem issue.

More thoughts about the Lee press.

The fine grain powder I am using may be a problem. Maybe a coarser powder like Red Dot or Unique would not cause a jam so quickly. Also, I dumped powder when the primer had not been seated. This will be a continuing problem. I had put some oil on the primer stem and that was a stupid thing to do. The oil will trap and debris. GWS's idea of powdered graphite is a much better way to go.

As to the powder dispenser. I hate it. It is tiny (maybe 1/2 lb capacity). You cannot dump test charges back into it as it is an inverted bottle. If they had added a "plug" like on MEC bottles it would have solved that problem. To add powder, you need to take the bottle off. In a normal run I will load 500-2000 rounds at a time. For low volume shooters not a problem. Will be a pain for high volume shooters. Other observations. You need a funnel to fill the powder bottle. Also, you cannot put in a powder baffle to help with consistent powder drops. Likely a good idea to shake the bottle to settle the powder before putting it back on the press. One nice feature is the bottle has a shut off. I also like the powder drum design. Easy to adjust and easy to swap out rotors that are preset for different loads for those who load many recipes. Those rotors/drums are only about $5 each. If I keep the press, the powder bottle will be modified with an open top and extended to hold a pound of powder. Not hard to do.

Hopefully I can get the primer stem issue solved shortly. Will also reach out to Lee for advice.

I should not have attempted to load ammunition yesterday. So taking a couple of steps back today. Good news is, I seem to be the only one having problems. Everyone seems ga-ga over this press!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Just loaded 50 rounds. It took over an hour.

Primer stem stuck again. If a primer does not seat and a fine powder is dumped it will jam the primer stem. Happened twice. Also wound up kinking the primer shuttle return spring on one jam. Inserted a piece of #14 insulated wire to get the spring working again.

Got this response from Lee just before posting this:

Tammy @ Lee Precision, Inc.
    Staff - 11/23/2022 8:18 am

Good morning Donald,

Are you dry cycling your press?

If you are dry cycling small primer pocket cases, we suggest not running the press all the way to the bottom of the stroke as if there is any contamination in the primer pocket, it may cause the primer pin to stick into the primer pocket and not retract.

Please let us know if we can further assist you!

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Tammy

Lee Precision Inc.

4275 Hwy U

Hartford WI 53027

IMO is this is unacceptable. One missed primer and the press will jam if using a fine grain powder. I wanted it this press to work, but it will not be suitable for either the powders I use, or how I wish to reload. And to put the icing on the cake, even Lee knows a bit of dirt will jam it up. Maybe I am just a slob and too lazy to have clean room standards to load pistol ammunition.

I am spoiled. I can produce over 700 rounds an hour on the 1050 and 350 rph on the 550 using dry tumbled cases. Plus, I am not constantly checking to see if a primer drops, case does not fall off the feed ramp, or if the press indexes.

I was not expecting 1050 performance from a $350 press but it should at least match a 550, or why invest in one?

Rant over.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

I will attempt to return it. If I cannot return it, I will list it for sale and one of you "lucky" guys will get the latest and greatest from Lee!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Just loaded 50 rounds. It took over an hour.
    IMO is this is unacceptable. One missed primer and the press will jam if using a fine grain powder. I wanted it this press to work, but it will not be suitable for either the powders I use, or how I wish to reload. And to put the icing on the cake, even Lee knows a bit of dirt will jam it up. Maybe I am just a slob and too lazy to have clean room standards to load pistol ammunition.
    Sound frustrating. It may not help you to know this, but that's not the only progressive that will jam up with powder through the hole of an unprimed case. Of course, that case should have never been left unprimed...

I had similar pains years ago when I got a Hornady Pro-Jector, especially with priming. The primer adjustment sequence was non-obvious, non-intuitive and downright difficult, and it took forever to get it feeding correctly. Once I mastered that, and just the right rhythm and correct "flick" of the handle at just the right moment to eject a loaded round, it/we became consistently productive. Any deviation, and I was pulling off half-loaded rounds and cleaning up powder. One thing that kept me productive was just to leave those aside and keep going with remaining cases and primers in the feeder, then do them singly later at the end of the batch.

But if it's more frustration than it's worth, get your money back and get something else. With enough returns Lee will improve their designs, they always do, and someone else will benefit. Just not you, lol.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast