Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Swamp load for 350 Legend worked out

Swamp load for 350 Legend worked out

I cast a bunch of the 220 grain bullets in my MP 35 caliber mold using the HP pins. They come out 208 grains and I size them to .356. The entire reason I bought the 350 Legend upper was to satisfy cartridge regulations on a specific piece of public land which is one wet swampy place crawling with feral hogs. I have fooled with the legend a good bit using various cast bullets, the 200 grain LEE and the 182 gr. NOE of which the LEE was the most reliable. The MP bullet is perfect seated to where the case mouth is in the middle of the band in front of the crimp groove and taper crimped in it feeds so far perfectly without exception. It is also a good shooting bullet. I have this rifle set up with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot and at 50 yards I can shoot ragged hole groups with the settled upon load. 21.0 grains of IMR 4227. I have no idea what the speed is but between 1700fps and 1800fps is my closest guess. I could up the charge a bit but there would be no real good reason for it. Even seeing 50 yards in that area would mean you are in a boat. The area has alligators and maybe the worlds densest population of water moccasins so I will be hunting it after or at the end of deer season several times before it warms up. The area is open until March. The rifle may get used during the regular deer season but I am planning on using the 35 Remington Marlin I have been working with for that.
    Last edited by rickt300; 11-28-2022 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master

I like that 220MP bullet and took one deer with it two years ago.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I really like the mold and the build quality is top notch. I have to say though in my old age that 4 hole brass mold's weight does wear on me after an hour or so. Love the Hollowpoint pin design. Thinking of casting a bunch of bullets with it and trading it for an aluminum version.

I decided to clean the barrel after running 1 1/2 pounds of IMR 4227 through it under various cast and jacketed bullets, mostly cast. It was shooting fine but the AR's action was a bit gritty and I thought a good cleaning before I took it hunting is a good idea. Wow lots of powder fouling! Cleaned it out really well and did some bore polishing with Turtle wax chrome polish on a tight patch pushed through with a 5/16 hardwood dowel. Several patches later I was getting clean patches. I also changed from the red dot to a scope so I needed to sight in. First 15 shots went in to 3 inches and then I started getting groups in the 1 1/4 inch arena. This is with the 200 grain LEE bullet which shoots slightly bigger groups than the MP 220grain bullet for some reason. Got it sighted in 1 inch or so high at 100 yards. Ready for the swamp now.

Stay safe!! Nice reading i hunted the swamps in NY that's where the big boys hide. was thinking about buying a 350 Ledgen barrel for my contenders but my heath isn't letting me life's not fair .Good luck
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Gettin old myself at 66. Hunting is getting tougher for me, especially dragging them out.

Boolit Master
    I can relate to the dragging them out issue. I'm 61 & every time I shoot one it seems like these mountains keep gett'n steeper, & they always run down hill & I need them at the top.

Boolit Master
    P.S. I really like the 35 cal rifles, & just got into the 375's & 38-55's.

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    P.S. I really like the 35 cal rifles, & just got into the 375's & 38-55's.
    Thinking about a 38-55 or 375 Winchester myself.

Boolit Master
    I recently sold a few guns & purchased 2-38-55's & 2 375 Winchesters. I also have larger & smaller bore rifles but I'm hooked on these.

Now you have me scheming on a new Encore barrel. Hmmmm

Boolit Buddy
    I'm 72, and pigs get heavier every one I shoot. I've figured out a way to hoist them up in the back of the mule without lifting much or dragging far. I use a 350 Legend AR or something in 375 to drop them on the spot. Think headshots.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
    I'm 72, and pigs get heavier every one I shoot. I've figured out a way to hoist them up in the back of the mule without lifting much or dragging far. I use a 350 Legend AR or something in 375 to drop them on the spot. Think headshots.
    I have gotten comfortable with shooting them in the neck just in front of the shoulder. Or high shoulder through the spine and head shots. Where I am going this afternoon will require a hundred yards of me power uphill if I shoot anything. Going to quarter and remove the backstraps the no gut way then drag it out on a plastic sled.

Boolit Master
    You guys are making me feel better about getting lazy for hunting season at age 72. I have to think twice about shooting downhill anymore.

Boolit Master
    I'm in mid-70s now and pay more attention to terrain than I used to have to. My late wife and hunting buddy used to claim I purposely shot deer in the highest spot possible, and hogs in the lowest spots with no trails anywhere near either one. GF