Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good Single Shot rifle to start with ?

What is a good Single Shot rifle to start with ?

I typically bow hunt, recently while giving Archery classes at my local outdoor club I noticed they needed people to staff a hunting safety course. I volunteered and whilst reading over everything I saw about two pages advocating for Fair Chase of animals. I always wanted to get a nice rifle for hunting so I figured I will go with a Single Shot. My area is Straight Wall only so the rifle has to be chambered for a straight wall cartridge. I like rifles that have wood in them not synthetic or plastic furniture. The rifle will be used to hunt deer. Anyone got any ideas ? I dont like the Henry single shot rifles nor do I like Italian reproduction rifles like Davide Pedersoli. I will reload all my own ammuntition so Black Powder or Smokeless doesnt matter to me. Price limit is going to be no more than say $750. I dont see spending $1k on a single shot rifle or close to that amount. Thanks for all the help.

Given your liking for wood, I wouldn't think twice about it, and get a Henry in either 350 Legend or .44 mag. Personally, I'd go for the 350L.
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantThompsonIII View Post
    I typically bow hunt, recently while giving Archery classes at my local outdoor club I noticed they needed people to staff a hunting safety course. I volunteered and whilst reading over everything I saw about two pages advocating for Fair Chase of animals. I always wanted to get a nice rifle for hunting so I figured I will go with a Single Shot. My area is Straight Wall only so the rifle has to be chambered for a straight wall cartridge. I like rifles that have wood in them not synthetic or plastic furniture. The rifle will be used to hunt deer. Anyone got any ideas ? I dont like the Henry single shot rifles nor do I like Italian reproduction rifles like Davide Pedersoli. I will reload all my own ammuntition so Black Powder or Smokeless doesnt matter to me. Price limit is going to be no more than say $750. I dont see spending $1k on a single shot rifle or close to that amount. Thanks for all the help.
    With what you say here you severely limit your choices ??

Boolit Master

If your stuck on a single shot, Ruger No 1 or #3. You won't get either for 750.00. I don't think you going to get much of anything at that price point. Push come to shove, you can always get a Ruger Ranch, slap a Boyd's stock on it and plug the mag to make it a single shot.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I think your price range limits you to Henry, NEF Handy or H&R. Also 45-70,444 Marlin, 38-55 or 50-70. You might find a trapdoor spring field for that but it wiil be on the ratty side, may shoot very well. You could get a Steven 44 in 32-40 with a shootable bore for that.(or maybe 38-55not likely) But you need to keep those at black powder pressures. There are a few other options out the but given your price limits, I don't see you spending more on brass and dies than the rifle. best luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    With what you say here you severely limit your choices ??
    Yup, My brain skipped right over the point he made about not liking the Henry. No plastic. Good luck finding a Browning Hi Wall for under $750. Looks like we're into a Hani Rifle. Maybe a muzzle loader? Loves me some Hawken.....
    Deplorable infidel

A used NEF .357 mag, .44 mag, or 45-70 should be below that price point.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Given the limitations, I’d look for an H&R.

Welcome Grant ! I looked to see if I could tell what state you are from as I know some of the strait wall only states rules. I agree with TbG a wooden stocked handi rifle would be your easiest rifle to find in a legal caliber for you. I have many but not ready to dispose of them yet. Really the Henry is the nicest rifle that is made now with wood furniture and are available in strait walled cartridges for about $ 500.
    If you watch online auctions and go to gun shows and frequent small gun shops that sell used guns there are a few choices you might find but in recent years they have been bought by people like yourself.
    I live in Southern MI and we are strait walled only in my area and they are hard to find except the Henry and they go as soon as they are in stock somewhere.
    I see you are a new member and wish you Luck in finding what you want !

Jedman

Boolit Master

The handi rifle line has several choices to meet your needs. For not too much more you could find a used Ruger #3 or maybe #1. You can often find them on Gunbroker for under 1k.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know where you are but if you know or are a good gunsmith I'd look at Simpson's website. They have a lot of used Scandinavian guns including single shots. Probably can't get your cartridge of choice, though, so some modifications (e.g. a new barrel, or this one lined/rechambered) are likely to be necessary. Get something with a solid action/stock and make it what you want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

If possible, I would hold off until I could afford a Ruger #1 or #3 at the very least. They do show up at LGS or pawn shops for a relatively cheap price. The last one I bought a year ago (LNIB - Ruger 1S, 243 Win with scope) I managed to get for $450.00. You just have to have the finds ready and be PATIENT!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I'm kinda surprised that nobody said get a Encore pick the caliber of your choice 44 mag would be fun a 460 would reach out a little bit more
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

No plastic
    Straight-wall only
    Available
    Not Italian or Henry
    Cheap

This paints you into a very tight corner - probably limiting you to targets of opportunity in the used market.

The Uberti (Italian) Baby Rolling Block in .357 Magnum, available in the U.S. from Taylor Firearms, is possibly the closest to your price point for new. https://taylorsfirearms.com/long-gun...e-357-mag.html
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    If a guy looks around and doesn't expect to get anything other then a good shooter quality example a trap door Springfield rifle can still be found for under a grand .
    But I'd expect to spend closer to the $850-900 range then $750
    And be happy spending that ... it's not 1971 and inflation affects everything one way or another .

A single shot Martini like this in 25/35!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned
    Over here in the state's a nicely done martini like that will bring $1500 so fast your head would spin

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I would go with a Ruger or Savage boltgun in 350 Legend. Switch the stock out with a Boyds wood stock. If you want you can block the magazine. The rifle with a scope and additional wood stock will be under $750.00.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Probably pick up a good used H&R for under $400.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956976322

Boolit Master
    The CVA Scout break open comes in 44 mag, 350 Legend, 444 & 450.

For the regular Scout, I saw on-line prices between $300 and $350.

The Scout V2 runs closer to $400.

Boyd's makes CVA wood stocks, but I only found a product for the Scout V2 (~$160).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast