WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a good Single Shot rifle to start with ?

CVA scout and change the rail to a picatinny. Boyd's wood if you want. Bergara barrel and good trigger.
    Whatever!

Do not forget the TC carbines, Encore and Contenders. Perfect for a straight wall case.

Plus the 357 Super Mag (Max) You can buy a 357 Mag single shot and run a reamer into it to change it to a SM. They shoot cast well with a 12 or 14 or 16 twist barrel.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Perhaps you are correct, still the several examples of cracked lugs I've personally seen, tells me it's more than a coincidence and likely to occur under "normal" usage. At the end of the day will you ask if it's worth the chance to save a couple bucks. There certainly isn't any guarantee with any firearm. I ran into an acquaintance a couple weeks ago, a knowledgeable reloader and shooter, just got released from the hospital, he was injured when all NINE locking lugs and the handle sheered off of the bolt of his 788 Remington. The bolt entered his left cheek and buried itself in his neck and came to rest against his scapula. He showed me the radio graph, He is one lucky guy. If a 788, known to be an incredibly strong action can come apart, then I'd have to ask myself. If a re purposed rifle with a historically questionable metallurgy, barreled in a non original caliber by someone that may or may not know what the are doing and likely someone I don't even know, a prudent course to take in the interest of parsimony? Some will undoubtedly say yes and that is certainly their business. For my part, this was a cautionary tale provided to invoke thought, nothing more. I will say I have seen more than a few gun come apart for different reasons, some stupid, some poor quality/workmanship and it has made me a bit edgy to walk that thin line. I hope that the OP acquires a rifle that will satisfy his needs and lets the forum know of his final selection. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Perhaps you are correct, still the several examples of cracked lugs I've personally seen, tells me it's more than a coincidence and likely to occur under "normal" usage. At the end of the day will you ask if it's worth the chance to save a couple bucks. There certainly isn't any guarantee with any firearm. I ran into an acquaintance a couple weeks ago, a knowledgeable reloader and shooter, just got released from the hospital, he was injured when all NINE locking lugs and the handle sheered off of the bolt of his 788 Remington. The bolt entered his left cheek and buried itself in his neck and came to rest against his scapula. He showed me the radio graph, He is one lucky guy. If a 788, known to be an incredibly strong action can come apart, then I'd have to ask myself. If a re purposed rifle with a historically questionable metallurgy, barreled in a non original caliber by someone that may or may not know what the are doing and likely someone I don't even know, a prudent course to take in the interest of parsimony? Some will undoubtedly say yes and that is certainly their business. For my part, this was a cautionary tale provided to invoke thought, nothing more. I will say I have seen more than a few gun come apart for different reasons, some stupid, some poor quality/workmanship and it has made me a bit edgy to walk that thin line. I hope that the OP acquires a rifle that will satisfy his needs and lets the forum know of his final selection. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
    That sounds like a massive overload. He should have a good lawsuit pending if he was using factory ammo.

A .310 Cadet in .357 or in the original caliber. Mine is a rechambered .32-20/310 cadet but I’ve been able to cobble up loads for it.

Boolit Master
    If you are a hunter Ed instructor, contact Thompson Center. They used to have a program where you could purchase one firearm per year at distributor cost.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    That sounds like a massive overload. He should have a good lawsuit pending if he was using factory ammo.
    Probably never know for sure, he claimed it was a "squib" that lodged in the barrel. Every barrel I've ever see with a bullet lodged in the barrel followed by another round, either split the barrel or bulged it if it was a low powered round. I never saw the rifle but he claimed the barrel was unharmed. I'm in the overload camp on this one, but it isn't a factory mistake for sure, more like "Hoist with his own petard" reload. I didn't ask too many questions due to peoples knack of becoming defensive. But I'm just speculating at this point.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Contender or an Encore. Getting one in your price range might be difficult, but should be doable. The Shikari isn't D&T for a scope base, at least mine aren't. They do shoot well and with Trapdoor level loads, they don't kick that much.
    The NEF rifles would be a good choice if you can find one. Saw one at Cabelas , in 45-70, a few weeks ago for $399. Almost bought it, but I have my Shikari's and a NEF "Buffalo rifle" barrel for one of my NEF actions, so I am set on 45-70 and let someone else get the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Contender or an Encore. Getting one in your price range might be difficult, but should be doable. The Shikari isn't D&T for a scope base, at least mine aren't. They do shoot well and with Trapdoor level loads, they don't kick that much.
    The NEF rifles would be a good choice if you can find one. Saw one at Cabelas , in 45-70, a few weeks ago for $399. Almost bought it, but I have my Shikari's and a NEF "Buffalo rifle" barrel for one of my NEF actions, so I am set on 45-70 and let someone else get the deal.
    I definitely wont be using a scope, iron sights only for me. I just aint a big fan of them.

Boolit Master

Grant,
    Have you considered a muzzle loader?

Boolit Master
    The NEF OR HR rifle in 45/70 would be in your budget. Love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

If your state requires the rifle to be an exposed hammer, the ruger #1 would not qualify.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123