Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good Single Shot rifle to start with ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that nobody said get a Encore pick the caliber of your choice 44 mag would be fun a 460 would reach out a little bit more
    This, or even a Contender, lot of choices on straight walled cartridges with either.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master

The Encores and Contenders would be a great choice IF you can find a rifle with a wood stock for under $750. That will not be easy.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Frankly, in this inflationary age we live in it's unrealistic to set a $750 limit on a quality single shot rifle of any make. Even a hardware store-quality break-open rifle will run up to and over that amount by the time a decent scope is added, and then there's the cost of ammo/components. My advice: study the genre as much as you can (education is power), save your nickels until a satisfying rifle can be afforded, and ease into it - even if by so doing sets back your entry into the game by a while. Too often I've seen guys rush into a new (to them) shooting game, doing things half-arsed and on the cheap, only to get discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    A single shot Martini like this in 25/35!

Isnt .25-35 a bottleneck round ? Local gun shop by me has a .41 Mag Martini for sale on consignment. They are asking $1650.00 for it. Too much in my opinion, I assume there is a cult following for Martinis but I want a nice rifle to start out with. My grandfather had a nice rolling block in .56-50 CF Spencer when I was a kid one of my narcotic infused relatives stole it for money to buy more "rock candy". He also has a Winchester Musket in .32-40 with a brass scope that was also stolen that night.

Felt I should add an update. A local gunshop has three rifles that were in my price range. One is an H&R 155 Shikari in .45 Gov for $450, one is an 1878 Trapdoor Rifle in .45 Gov for $350 and another is a Krag Rifle converted to single shot .45 Gov and is $750 on the head.

Boolit Bub
    I was just going to mention a Trapdoor Springfield. Nowadays these are usually going for north of your $750 budget in good shape, but if the one you saw for $350 is a decent shooter, go for it, especially if you want to play around with blackpowder.

Get the Shikari and don't look back. I had one long ago and it was accurate and trouble free. The 45-70 is perfect for your requirements.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    my favorite is a Handi 45/70 in centerfire and all my others are muzzleloaders , none are in your price range /sorry Ed

Boolit Master
    I have seen several Henry's with great wood, in 45/70 and 350 legend go for $500 or less new locally, and used from $400-450. You cant go wrong with a Henry, I have had several of them, all great shooters, and the 45/70 does not kick bad at all with cast bullet load, and will kill deer dead as heck.

Thanks for the replies. I will have the gunsmith look down the bore of the Trapdoor for me to make sure its not a bad bore and to make sure the rifle functions. The Shikari the gunsmith said should be loaded with light loads since it has a cast reciever and can break easily. The gunsmith said the best rifle is the Krag because its has a strong action on par with a Siamese Mauser conversion. I didnt even know Siamese Mausers got converted to .45 Gov. Anyone trust that a Krag is strong enough for .45 Gov the rifle was originally an 1896 Model Krag Rifle made in 1901.

Boolit Master
    The Siam Mauser conversions are by a large margin strongest .....and can be loaded to equal 458 WM figures.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrantThompsonIII View Post
    Felt I should add an update. A local gunshop has three rifles that were in my price range. One is an H&R 155 Shikari in .45 Gov for $450, one is an 1878 Trapdoor Rifle in .45 Gov for $350 and another is a Krag Rifle converted to single shot .45 Gov and is $750 on the head.
    Out of those I would pick the H&R 155 Shikari in .45 Gov for $450. I love Trapdoors but originals tend to have large bores and the barrel steel is very soft. The Krag conversation was somewhat common at one-time but they are a very hard sell today. I would not pay anything close to $750 for one unless it was done by a well-known maker whose name and quality of work would justify the price. If it's an issue stock barreled by an unknown builder its way overpriced IMHO.

Some discussion here.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...g-Action-45-70

The trapdoor may or may not be a good deal based on condition. Is it an unmolested rifle or a cut down carbine? Lots of Trapdoor info here https://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Only the H&R is easy to put optics on.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-20-2022 at 09:44 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    My only beef with H&R's is if they have the transfer bar (it tends to break at inopportune times).

The Shikari should be fine with factory level loads. You really don't need more power than that for whitetail deer, no matter what the internet or gun rags say. Just keep the range reasonable.

Robert

IMHO, just save/spend the money and get a Henry single shot in .45-70 and be done with it. It offers everything you'd want in a modern single shot, and more.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Personally I think finding a "nice single shot" for under $750 is a dream that wont happen unless you got really lucky. It's been years since any nice single shots sold for under $1200 or so, other than a rare lucky find came around.
    I'd keep my eyes peeled for a Rolling Block rifle as they generally might be easier to find under $1000 and be decent. But even a nice Rolling Block will often bring twice your maximum price, so it's going to be a lucky find, and you'll have to be in the right place and time to grab it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	307119 ruger # 3 in 45-70 can be loaded from mild to wild, the one i own has been a super shooter with just about any load i put thru it. this three shot group was shot from a bench rest at 100 yards, load was 50 grs imr 4198 and a 300 gr honrady bullet for 2000 fps. they used to be had at fair prices. but have been going north for some time, i paid 500.00 for mine with a older 3x leupold scope.

Boolit Master

Do some searching about Krag bolt lug cracking. If not cracked it might be ok with trapdoor loads but highly suspect for heavier loads. The Shikari would be fine with trapdoor loads such as Remington factory loads. The trapdoor would be fun if in good condition.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

I would not touch a Krag original in 45-70. They are not strong enough for that cartridge, not as strong as the Trapdoor. I agree, the Shikari but limit it to trapdoor loads - it will hurt on both ends with more.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I'd find another gunsmith... To put the Krag and a Siamese Mauser in the same category strength wise is not only wrong it's dangerous. Navy arms made 45-70 conversions back in the seventies and they are in a class equal to or exceeding any load you can pretty well stuff in them. ANY load book worth a hoot will point this out. Put a load like that in the two locking bolt Krag, be sure to make arrangements to have someone stop by to check on you around dark.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    The larger rim diameter will impart more bolt thrust than a .30-40, given equal chamber pressures, so that would be the only reason to re-consider the .45-70 in a Krag. The U.S. Krag, even with its one locking lug, is stronger than you might think - certainly ample for the 40K psi .30-40 ammo it's intended for. Even if the bolt lug breaks off (not likely unless some jaspers have been abusing it with over-pressure loads) there's the big safety lug on the side of the bolt that'll stop rearward movement and re-direct it off to the side away from your head.

The late Michael Petrov conducted a destruction test on a U.S. Krag, by employing Bullseye powder in ever-increasing amounts until the receiver shattered and the bolt exited to the right. I apologize for not remembering the exact quantity of Bullseye it finally took to make it come unglued, but it was in excess of 20 grains as I recall. And mind you, he used a bolt that he'd ground the locking lug entirely off - employing only the safety lug on the bolt......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast