Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Buying a GoPro

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Buying a GoPro

I’m thinking of getting my son a GoPro for Christmas. I don’t know much about them. Not sure which model to get. What is included when you buy one? Battery and charger? Memory card? Or do you have to buy everything separately? I don’t seem to see any adds with what’s included. Any accessories that are a must have?
    Thanks for any and all advice.

Boolit Master

I know one thing. They ain't cheap.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m thinking of getting my son a GoPro for Christmas. I don’t know much about them. Not sure which model to get. What is included when you buy one? Battery and charger? Memory card? Or do you have to buy everything separately? I don’t seem to see any adds with what’s included. Any accessories that are a must have?
    Thanks for any and all advice.
    My Toyota pickup CAME with one... a promotion at the time. As a side, my sister has a GoPro and speaks most highly of it. BUT -- for me, it was/is too complicated. To my limited brain capacity one has to have a computer with it. The BIG warning from all is to use ONLY 100% GoPro batteries and their chargers -- NO knock-offs! -- which are not inexpensive.
    I think you are a truly wonderful dad to consider such a thoughtful present -- BUT (always that "but", eh?) -- if it were ME -- I'd not have it as any sort of a surprise -- but have a conversation with your son -- not excluding his intended uses. E.g., if he SCUBA-dives, it may be a necessity device; or wishes a camera on his Luge helmet. OR -- there may be other (as I learned) -- more (dummy-) user-friendly devices.
    Just some thoughts...
    g

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    I know one thing. They ain't cheap.
    I know they ain’t cheap. It’s maybe going to be a gift for the family.

Boolit Grand Master

Does anyone know if the batteries and charger usually come with it. I’ve recently bought some battery powered hand tools and had to buy the batteries and charger additionally.

I believe when i received my gopro it came with a battery and charger, but i bought a "bundle" which means it came with extra mounting equipment and other crap. It did not however come with an sd card. This was about 5 years ago, I believe the newer hero 8 and beyond are charged via a cable directly to to the camera.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It may sound strange,, but why not ask the seller or company what comes with it?

Boolit Grand Master

For the time, I’m just internet window shopping.

Boolit Master
    The generic ‘go-bro’s’ (as I call them) are $20-30 all over eBay and work very well. High definition but cheap enough not to be gut wrenching if they get torn up, lost, stolen, etc. May be worth looking into buying a few for way less than the cost of a real GoPro
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Mold
    Buy a go pro 10, it comes with 1 battery and the go pro plugs in to charge it.
    You will want a 3 battery/charging case at some point soon and a lot larger memory card.
    ALSO an accessory kit
    https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras...01-master.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master

The GoPro comes with a battery and a charger but the memory card is separate. I bought one for the once in a lifetime event of the Battleship Texas permanently leaving the home it’s had since 1948. My buddy shot the departure, pre-dawn, with his iPhone 12 Pro. In the low light conditions his video was much better than mine. I shelled out right at $500 drive out by the time I got a memory card. I was really disappointed in the low light performance but it does well in normal lighting conditions. It’s pretty flexible with its photography options but I didn’t think the menus were difficult to learn.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    They are a lot easier to use if you put the GoPro app on your phone, I have an old IPhone I dug up and use that so I don't tie up the phone I normally use. Also, if you have IMovie ap on a computer, you can zoom in on what you really want to see when you edit the video.

Boolit Master
    I got one a few months back. it came as a package deal for less than $200 also got a zipper pouch with dozens of different mounts and stands for it, 2 genuine batteries and waterproof housing. I think its a hero black either 7 or 9. much much less money than the latest greatest model. it takes a bit of learning but should be no problem for a tech savvy youngster. just like the wifi security cameras you cant even set it up properly without high speed wifi. much quicker and faster turn it on and capturing some fleeting moments than using a camera phone. you can buy separate chargers for the batteries but it is charged with a Cale that plugs into the camera that you plug into a computer or usb charger. the same cable is used to download the images to a computer or phone
    Last edited by farmbif; 11-25-2022 at 10:39 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    the same cable is used to download the images to a computer or phone
    I get much, much faster transfer speeds by putting the memory card directly into my computer. That bypasses the camera's electronics for data transfers.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

My neighbors are late 20's early 30's and make great use of their go-pro's. They do hunting and fishing videos that are very good. I know that your son will enjoy hie gift.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle