MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: savage 219 rifle question

Boolit Master

savage 219 rifle question

I am looking to buy a savage model 219 single shot 30-30
    does anyone have any experience or opinion about this rifle? Especially is it reliable and usefully accurate, etc.
    best
    and have a wonderful Thanksgiving all
    atrClick image for larger version. 

Name:	arthur 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	307022
    ps...75 and still upright
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Yes ! I have owned several in 30-30 and they are dependable, hunting accurate and lightweight. They made several changes through the years so they are not all the same. The two I had were slightly different and the one I thought might have a problem until I realized that to cock it the top lever had to be pushed much farther than the point to open the action. Do not ever dry fire them as they have been known to break firing pins if dry fired.
    I am younger than you and can no longer use iron sights due to my vision but they have a 26” barrel and the long barrel is great if you can use the sights. I have seen them with scopes mounted but they do not come from Savage drilled and tapped for any mounts but it can be done. I don’t have anything bad to say about them.

Jedman

Boolit Master

thanks Jedman
    my eyes aren't all that good either but the rifle I am looking at has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and I do like the idea of a 26" barrel

Boolit Grand Master
    The only one I have owned is a Model 219 in .22 Hornet, but the ones I have seen seem to be a better quality gun than the often bragged on H&R rifles. Maybe just better quality control when they were made?

Here's a link about them: http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Sava...l_219-220.html

Robert

Good field/carry guns, and extra barrels can be added, if the Savage 219/220 rules are observed.

To wit:

There are Model 219;s, 219B's 219C's & 219L's. The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical progression of improved models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to recock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has one, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
    If it has none, the gun can use any barrel.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition is safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

very interesting pietro...many thanks....a continuing education.

Boolit Master
    I have a hand me down one in nice shape it was my dads grandfathers who got it new in the 30's. The trigger is heavy but crisp and it does very well with cast bullets one of its prefered loads is a lyman 311359 sized to .309" with 7.5 grs of unique. it also likes the lyman 311413 but I don't remember the powder charge. Years ago I saw a 219 in .32-20 and still kick myself for not getting it.

Banned

They are notorious for broken firing pins, if you get it, check to make sure it fires and then always use a snap cap.

I like them and have several. The on in .22 Hornet is my favorite squirrel rifle with cast.

There are two main variations, one is striker fired and most common, the other has an internal hammer if I'm describing it correctly.

There is enough interest in them that there is an active web forum devoted to them; http://www.savagesingleshots.com/smf...31d5&board=2.0

Boolit Master

Mine has never given any problems.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...19b-firing-pin

I have one I got in the 80,s .

The I like it and is fun to shoot but for me it,s just a range toy. It dose fit me good and the sights line up naturally. Recoil with factory is about the same as a Win. 94 . The only cast load's I'v tried are a starting load of 9gr's of Herco and 15gr's of 2400. I think if I worked up I could find better loads for both. At 50 yd's starting loads of Herco and 2400 had groups around 3" with a 170gr boolit. The Herco load was a good 3"s low the 2400 was better. This with open sights. I bet with a scope and heaver loads and that long barrel it wood be a 150 yard gun.

It dose eat firing pins. If you dry fire it it breaks, pull the trigger with it open and it can break. Took a bit of doing but I did learn how to change it.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I am looking to buy a savage model 219 single shot 30-30
    does anyone have any experience or opinion about this rifle? Especially is it reliable and usefully accurate, etc.
    best
    and have a wonderful Thanksgiving all
    atrClick image for larger version. 

Name:	arthur 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	307022
    ps...75 and still upright
    Been looking at rifles from https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearms/rifles/ , prices don't seem too bad
    30-30 Savage 219 overall a solid rifle. Lightweight, precise and easy to install upgrades if you decide so. And yeah, the only downside is fire pins as far as I'm aware, but others said that already
    Last edited by McKorman; 12-19-2022 at 02:32 AM.

True story:

A M-219B .22 Hornet I bought at a local gunshop had a broken firing pin (I didn't realize it when buying) - so the shop's gunsmith said he would fix it, but didn't know where to get a replacement. (Huh ? )

So, that day I ordered a new pin online from Numrich (which I got in 4 days), and gave it to the gunsmith to install.

Well, after a half-hour or so of "working on it", he told me he was having trouble replacing the FP - so I asked him if I could try...........

Five minutes later, the FP replacement was done, and the 219 lived happily ever after.....

The moral of the story - be sure to find out if your "gunsmith" really is one.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Had a Savage 219 in 22 Hornet in the 1960's, shot vrey well, really enjoyed it. Just a good rifle, sold to friend.

Boolit Mold
    They look like an American version of a German stalking rifle. While not perfect, I think that they have a level of class to them.

I have 3 of them. One second model in 30-30 (with a spare 22 Hornet barrel that was drilled and tapped that really doesn't fit that well), one 219B in 22 Hornet this is great and a 220 16 gauge with the duck etching receiver thrown in for good measure. They are just classier looking rifles over the H&R (and I have a few H&Rs). I'm seriously thinking of converting the 22 Hornet to a 22 K Hornet and the 30-30 to a 30-30 AI for grins and giggles. And perhaps making a couple of upgraded stocks for them... Also like the thought of one with a 357 Mag barrel or even a 7-30 Waters or 6mm 30-30 wildcat. Can you tell I like them?

You should find a very serviceable rifle with one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk