Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muzzleloader stock problem/shape

Boolit Master
    @Waksupi.
    That is the exact method I used on that one rifle that I had to form a Depression in the Cheek piece to get it to stop kicking my cheekbone.

Boolit Master
    Part of my issue was .......the thing kicked
    54 cal with a 15/16 barrel, light wood stock, it weighed less than 7 pounds. I started shooting it with 120 grains FFg - dang thing shot so good I kept doin it - then backed off to 100 - I ran the numbers through one of those online calculators and got its well in excess of a 30-06.
    Hits right where ya point it so long as ya dont blink - after the stock rework its much better - got a bit of a soft spot for this cannon, over the years its got me a couple of good wins against some pretty stiff competition.

Boolit Master
    I had a guy bring me a TC Renagade that he said Kicked him if he did hunting loads.
    He also said it was Barrel Heavy for him.
    I cast up a 3/4" lead rod that weighed about 1 lb.
    I took off the butt plate and drilled a hole in the stock for the lead weight.
    I glued it into the stock with caulking.
    He said that solved both of his problems.
    I had installed a recoil pad on that stock before.
    But he said that didn't help enough.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I had a guy bring me a TC Renagade that he said Kicked him if he did hunting loads.
    He also said it was Barrel Heavy for him.
    I cast up a 3/4" lead rod that weighed about 1 lb.
    I took off the butt plate and drilled a hole in the stock for the lead weight.
    I glued it into the stock with caulking.
    He said that solved both of his problems.
    I had installed a recoil pad on that stock before.
    But he said that didn't help enough.
    Good job!!

I made a 2 pound lead buttplate for my carbine weight sharps - cured the recoil problem - it drags its tail now but get used to it

I did your trick and added a pound rod to my 76 Uberti, already had the hole bored in the stock for the (non existent) cleaning rod that stores there. I reckoned the gun didnt shoot as accurate with it in so removed after a couple of shoots - proly all in me head ??????

Boolit Master
    The weight and balance of a rifle all depends on the shooter.
    Like I had someone ask me to cut 8" off a Long Barrel Kit Carson rifle to make it fit him better.
    It worked great for him as you probably seen in other posts.
    Now he is thinking about going to a different Rear Sight to fit his eyes better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    [ Raising sight height will get it done but can look kinda ugly
    ] IF it is accurate, I do not care what it looks like.[/QUOTE]

some of us do........................care if it looks ugly

Boolit Master
    The weight and balance of a rifle all depends on the shooter.
    Like I had someone ask me to cut 8" off a Long Barrel Kit Carson rifle to make it fit him better.
    It worked great for him as you probably seen in other posts.
    Now he is thinking about going to a different Rear Sight to fit his eyes better.
    the more I got into muzzleloaders (and got older) the more I came to like longer barrels - I also do better offhand with a bit of weight out front.

Boolit Master
    You might be correct Joe.
    But that rifle was for a Skinny First Time Shooter.
    Front weight was not to his liking.

Boolit Master
    You might be correct Joe.
    But that rifle was for a Skinny First Time Shooter.
    Front weight was not to his liking.
    correct for me - took a while to figure it out too ! (skinny I am not!)
    with your help he will figure out what works best for him
    teach him to shoot offhand - there is huge satisfaction in shooting a nice target standing

I turned 40 (in 1988) some fellers that never rode act the fool and buy a Harley, others trade in their faithful wife for a 25 year old blonde, I decided to revamp my gun cabinet .

Changed out a fair bit of stuff and on a whim I bought a CVA kentucky kit gun - had some blackpowder from foolin around with old winchesters twenty years previous.
    But knew absolutely nothing - I got Sam Fadalas "Complete Blackpowder Handbook" and the Blackpowder Loading Manual. Wished I had done that 25 years earlier -

my family were shotgun people (we had a few 22's) nobody taught me anything about iron sights - I couldnt hit with them - bought a crummy little scope when I was 15 and cobbled up a mounting system for my 22single shot - yep that worked - from then until I 'met' Sam I shot scopes and leaned on things to get steady enough to hit.

So that little Kentucky kit and Sam Fadalas instruction book opened a door to a whole new world for me

Boolit Grand Master

This is just my opinion, but reshaping the stock seem a really extreme way to fix the problem. It seems way easier to simply install taller sights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This is just my opinion, but reshaping the stock seem a really extreme way to fix the problem. It seems way easier to simply install taller sights.
    Yessir, it sure would be. I've got a tang sight that fits my Lyman Great Plains but have no idea how it would match up with a Thompson Center. Or if it would be taller, I'm gonna have to dig it out and take a look. I sure don't want to have to scrunch over the stock like I do now. Ouch.

Boolit Master
    The tang on a TC and Lyman are not the same angle.
    So the Lyman tang sight had a wedge shaped piece that sits on the tang to make up for the more drop in the tang of the Lyman like the GPR
    I have one of those Lyman tang sights that I bought for the Lyman GPR kit I am going to build.
    But have used that sight on several of my TC's
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-22-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    maybe so - but now I know how to do something I didnt know before - added another little notch to my skill set
    also I did not want a two inch high frontsight perched on the end of my muzzleloader barrel

Boolit Master

Lowering the Comb or Cheek piece a 1/4" makes a big difference.
    I did one where I carved / sanded a depression in the cheek piece.
    ==1 i took mine down about the same

I have reshaped a few and turned super uncomfortable muzzlestuffers into pleasant shooters.

My style is first to install a kinda vintage lookin leather lace up pad. This is twosome important. First off it adds an inch to the LOP. Also if you need more than an inch you can add a bit more to the LOP without it showing (I also need esthetic appeal) . The obvious advantage is ... its a recoil pad.

Next I do the same trick with eyes closed, mount the rifle and open my eyes. This gives an exact indication as to where to begin shaving wood. Personally I do not get along with cheek pieces so my rifles always get this cheek slapping hunk of wood removed.

My TC Hawkins rifle is set with a leather butt pad and the cheekpiece removed as well as the comb carved down from the buttplate to the beginning of the comb rite at the end of the wrist. I also installed a 54 cal 32 inch 66 twist roundball barrel on it. Green mountain barrel.

Remember...your head height is dependant on either the comb height or the front sight height. For me the cheekpiece always seems to be a slapper ... unless of course it has castoff built into the stock.

Thats my bit.

Boolit Buddy
    You say you can shoot the ones your sons shoot no problem. Sounds to me like you need to trade guns with one of them. Problem solved.

We're all different, which is why guns should be.

Boolit Master
    Good candidate for a Renegade.

Boolit Master
    I too like stocks that have a larger drop in the stock.
    My favorite stock is my Mowrey .50 cal.
    It is a basic copy of an 1835 Ethan Allen rifle.
    My favorite rifle style is the Hawkens.
    But those too I like better with the drop in the stock like the Lyman GPR's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12