Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzleloader stock problem/shape

Boolit Master

muzzleloader stock problem/shape

I've got three TC Hawken muzzleloaders, my two sons each shoot one, I shoot the third. My brother also owns one. The one I use beats the snot out of my cheekbone when I shoot it. Has anyone ever bent a stock on one of these, or removed the raised cheekpiece portion of the stock to see if that would be a help? To get a decent sight picture, I feel like I need to lean pretty hard over the top of the stock and whoopee, I know I'm gonna get nailed. My brother and sons just laugh, (mostly at my whining and complaining), I however, don't think it's that funny.
    Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Boolit Master

Could you install a peep/receiver sight to get your head up a little higher? It might require a taller front sight too..

Lighter load perhaps?

Boolit Master
    Dassie sells an air gun sight, peep, that's gets my head up, has a good amount of fine adjustment.
    Last I saw one, was about $75.00, for front and back, work good for me..

Boolit Master
    I have modified Many TC stocks.
    The length of pull and drop in the comb are not all the same on every TC stock.
    When I buy used ones, I measure them and the ones that fit me best I keep.
    The others I either modify the length of pull or lower the cheek piece on the Hawkens to fit better.
    I have never Warped drop in or out of the stock.
    TC's have a tendency of having cracks right in the grip area and lock area.
    Taller sights is a good option to make the lack of drop in the stock work out.
    I had to do that on a Traditions St Louis Hawken to get it to fit me.
    But I don't want to modify that stock because I might sell it.
    Stocks with less drop in the stocks are better if you want to install a scope on the rifle.
    I have one Renegade that has less drop that I may put a scope on .
    But I can also find someone that it Fits and wants to buy it.

IME, face slapping is not caused by the cheekpiece, it's caused by either heavy loads and/or the angle of the buttstock comb having too much of a drop angle to move straight back along the shooter's face (reducing recoil).

The size/thickness of the cheekpiece effects where (right or left) of the bore C/L the shooting eye is located.
    Last edited by pietro; 11-18-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Kinda a weird question; Are you right eye or left eye dominate? If you are left eye and are leaning over to fix your sight picture, that would place your face in a position to get whacked. Just a thought. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to re-shape the stock to lower the comb. Hard to see what's happening over the internet. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Lowering the Comb or Cheek piece a 1/4" makes a big difference.
    I did one where I carved / sanded a depression in the cheek piece.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Kinda a weird question; Are you right eye or left eye dominate? If you are left eye and are leaning over to fix your sight picture, that would place your face in a position to get whacked. Just a thought. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to re-shape the stock to lower the comb. Hard to see what's happening over the internet. Good luck.

If you are right handed and left eye dominate, you really need to shoot left handed..... Won't take long to make the adjustment...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Lowering the Comb or Cheek piece a 1/4" makes a big difference.
    I did one where I carved / sanded a depression in the cheek piece.
    I had a CVA 54 cal with too straight stock that was belting my cheek something fierce and another not so bad but doin it
    bent the both of them using hot oil, heat lights, and a jig I made, i had watched a video that Larry "Midway" posted of an old English dude bending high dollar walnut shotgun stocks once he got them right it was like moulding plasticine.

The CVA (Beech wood) I did took a huge amount of effort - I got it to drop about a half inch at the point of the comb but woulda liked more - The other one (wood they call Brazilian Walnut here) bent easily once I got it hot enough.

Raising sight height will get it done but can look kinda ugly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

IME, face slapping is not caused by the cheekpiece, it's caused by either heavy loads and/or the angle of the buttstock comb having too much of a drop angle to move straight back along the shooter's face (reducing recoil).

The size/thickness of the cheekpiece effects where (right or left) of the bore C/L the shooting eye is located.
    If its too straight or too high and you need to scrunch your face down on it to get a sight picture - a decent load will slam you for sure

Boolit Buddy
    Mr Lags is on the right track with lowering the cheek piece. One possibility is where is your hand in relation to your face when shouldering the stock? Have seen guys get smacked by their own thumb by being way to close to the hand by hunkering down tight to the stock, seems worse with a short length of pull.

Boolit Master

I like the T/C Hawkens and Renegades but this has been a problem with every single one I've owned over the years. To fit me properly I need to cut away the comb until it is virtually gone at the wrist and then maintain a straight line all the way back to the heel. I also reduce the thickness of the stock from the wrist back to the buttplate, carefully tapering it so that I don't need to alter the buttplate. Yes, it's a lot of work, but that's what that downtime is for after hunting season ends.
    Last edited by centershot; 11-21-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Have you tried to lengthen you length of pull.
    Most vintage style rifles have a shorter length of pull and more drop in the stock.
    If you have long arms or a long neck , I would suggest that you maybe put a spacer under your butt plate to make the stock a longer pull.
    Or like for survey butt plates tape a pad onto the butt plate for testing how it will work for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I had a CVA 54 cal with too straight stock that was belting my cheek something fierce and another not so bad but doin it
    bent the both of them using hot oil, heat lights, and a jig I made, i had watched a video that Larry "Midway" posted of an old English dude bending high dollar walnut shotgun stocks once he got them right it was like moulding plasticine.

The CVA (Beech wood) I did took a huge amount of effort - I got it to drop about a half inch at the point of the comb but woulda liked more - The other one (wood they call Brazilian Walnut here) bent easily once I got it hot enough.

Raising sight height will get it done but can look kinda ugly

[ Raising sight height will get it done but can look kinda ugly[/QUOTE] ] IF it is accurate, I do not care what it looks like.

Boolit Master
    I can shoot the two Hawkins my sons own and not get smacked in the cheekbone like mine does, the third one I've only shot once but I don't remember a problem. With mine I know I'm going to get hit, almost to the point of hating to pull the trigger. I'm loading 80gr 2F, measured not weighed, under a round ball. I haven't tried backing off from that, it shoots pretty good at the 50 yard range that my old eyes can see. Looking at my rifle from the curved buttplate looking towards the sights, it almost seems like I can see the stock bent towards my cheekbone. Then again, it could be my imagination because maybe that's what I want to see. I shoot right-handed and right-eyed, it sounds like indian joe and LAGS have had the same problem, Pietro, thanks for the insight. I need to refinish the stock anyway, a few seasons of muzzleloader elk hunting have taken their toll. I'm not too much concerned about reselling a stock or if it doesn't look like the original configuration, I just want to get rid of the cheekbone slap. It's just like indian joe said, I need to scrunch my face down on it to get a decent sight picture and ..... whammo.
    I've been thinking about tweaking the stock a little bit (heating and bending) and/or removing the cheekpiece to give myself a little more clearance. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it. Taller sights would also probably fix the problem.
    Elk season ended Friday, you're right, I've got all winter to work on this.
    Thanks for the input, I've got some good ideas and think I'll probably reshape the stock a bit. I'm going to take it out and pay a bit more attention to what's really happening before getting started.
    Larry

Take 1/8" off the comb, at a time, till it fits better. Better yet, grow a big bushy beard. The guns butt is what kills my shoulder, firing a T/C maxi-ball with 110 grs 2F in 45 caliber.

A trap shooters i seen, put baby powder on cheek before shooting. Stock doesnt grab the skin.

Try a thin pad on the comb? Kick Eez Cheek Eez Cheek Protector 5" x 6" Black. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1913144343?pid=237314
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221120_072938.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 11-20-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Have someone film you so you can see the issue.

Boolit Master
    If you have the two other rifles that don't slap you available.
    Compare them with your stock.
    Even if they are not the exact same models.
    To compare my stock that I like I take off the barrels and just compare the dimensions on the stock.
    Your base line is the top of the barrel channel and the trigger locations.
    Compare Length of Pull first.
    Then Drop in the Comb.
    Also check the Line of the barrel channel center to the line down thru the buttstock.
    I use a piece of string to do that.
    That will tell if your stock curves out further towards your cheek.
    Not a Warp , but measurements from the centerline of the barrel channel.
    Or if the Cheek piece sticks out further then theirs.
    Also.
    Compare the specific points of their rifles to yours using the three reference lines.
    I remove the barrels and turn the stock up side down on the bench and clamp it in one point so your bench becomes you reference line.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, and if I'm not looking right down the sights when I open my eyes, out comes the rasp until the gun fits me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast