Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a cast boolit but….160 1/8” 8 point down!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Not a cast boolit but….160 1/8” 8 point down!

Got this one during archery season and haven’t had a chance to share. I saw him three times last year during archery season and twice during gun season but never had a clear shot. He was a little farther than I wanted to shoot again this year but took my time and guessed the distance. It paid off! I almost didn’t shoot because I didn’t think he was big enough. Glad I shot! My old eyes must being playing tricks on me because he got bigger the closer I got to him. His rack was a little thicker and taller last year so he must be going down hill or just wasn’t as many good minerals and food supply for it to grow to its full potential this season. Used a rage hypodermic red collar broadhead that only opened one side when entering and hit the leg on the other side so I didn’t have an exit. I head the broad head slap open when hitting him. No blood for 40 yards. I then saw a tree with a fist sized blood spot on it 4’ from the base. Finally found a pencil sized blood spot ever 5 to 6 feet after that till the arrow fell out another 40 yards later. Really sparse blood trail till the last 20 yards. He must have made it 200 yards before dropping and never laying down. Hit the very front of both lungs and he pooled up inside. I did a ruff measurement of 160 1/8”. Has 7” diameter bases, 12” tines, a 19” inside spread, and a bunch of little kickers off the eye guards on the back side. One of the nicest looking bucks I’ve shot. Figured I’d better give the deer respect and mount it , but I need another mount like a hole in the head. Seems like one they get this big in my area there are a lot more points and kickers comming off the G2’s and everywhere else. Pretty neat it was a big main frame 8. One of the tallest and thickest racks to date…

Gun season opener is tomorrow. Going be a cold one! I have two other dandies on camera. Hopefully one shows up.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-18-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Very nice - our deer are nowhere near that size. You should be proud of that old boy.

It weighed 255 with it butt resting on the ground…It was too long for where I hoisted it up for weighing and ran out of room where I have the scale hung. I’ll get it mounted to a higher spot next year.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Buck, Nice thick beams. Now for some drying time and then find a local B&C measurer.

A buddy noticed something different up here when he shot a 3-year-old bull moose on opening day.
    It had no fat on it. He figures that it had been feeding in an area where there had been mostly Canola fields and not much alfalfa or clovers. There were a ton of moose in 505 zone this year. I hope the survivors got enough fat on them to take them through the winter.

Nice one for sure, Congrats.
    So what was the rough distance of your shot?
    Nice write up, it'll be one to remember.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy

That's a beauty of a buck. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Nice heavy rack on that one

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Going to guess the shot was 35 to 40 yards. I'll have to range it after gun season is over. The buck had alot of fat on it.

That's approaching cattle size right there. Congratulations on the kill, no matter what you used!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Here’s another photo to see better “to scale”. Im approx 6’2” around 235 pounds.

Butt still touching the ground with the scale at 255 pounds…

… I hate posting pictures of my face because it always seems to get back to my neighbors and they end up sitting on my property lines. At least now you guys know why I haven’t been posting I’ve been sitting in the woods for the last month or so.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-18-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Very nice indeed.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    dang nice deer, congrats!

Boolit Grand Master
    Magnificent. Truly a fine harvest.

Beautiful mature buck you got there ! Congrats, I’m glad it was you instead of me that had to get that guy out of the woods.

Jedman

Luckily he ran down the side of my ridge and dropped about 50 yards from the road. It was straight down dragging. He knocked me over a few times on the way down. Backed my truck up to the side of hill with the tail gate down till it was even with the ground. My buck slid right in. If it was on flat ground I would have had a heck of a time.

Boolit Grand Master

He's a Biggun!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Great mass! Glad you recovered him!

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on a very fine buck.

Thanks…

Today was opening day of our gun deer season. My neighbors harassed me from eight to 8:45 AM and then again from 4 PM to closing. Long story called the sheriff again and they just left a message and said they were really busy and would call me again tomorrow. They also want the videos of the neighbors harassing me while I was in my stand. Needless to say I only saw one deer it was a small eight pointer and I let it go by. But this dirty rat was not getting a pass today….

A 180 grain hand loaded core loct out of my 30-06 7600 anchored it on the spot.

At least I got my archery buck before they started harassing me. They messed up my hunting for the last couple years and must not a realized I was down there ball hunting this year and left me alone… until gun season start apparently.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-19-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Banner Sponsor

Great buck!
    I. Sorry to hear about your neighbors.
    I've got neighbor problems also, but mine tore down my fence and tried to move it over 6' , sheriff was called, civil matter, going to court...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast