RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 327 Federal penetration tests

Boolit Bub
    May I ask who did the conversion on your revolver?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    May I ask who did the conversion on your revolver?
    Who are you asking and which revolver? I had a Model 66 S&W converted to 327 Fed Mag by Andy Horvath of Lagrange, OH. He has an excellent reputation but a fairly long waiting list if you want a complete build. The same can be said of Hamilton Bowen, but he only works on Rugers, no Smiths any more.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    ...You never know though, every time I say that a buck ends up coming in close at an odd angle. I'll be carrying my 41 magnum with cast bullets.
    Sure enough, I set up saturday and could see about 1/2 mile in every direction. two does and a decent buck came right up the ravine towards me. When he crested the hill he was 30 yards away, and about 3 seconds from getting a 41 magnum to the lungs. He noticed the does were on the right side of me and turned straight in front of the rifle, so he got a 308 instead.

Boolit Master
    Sure enough, I set up saturday and could see about 1/2 mile in every direction. two does and a decent buck came right up the ravine towards me. When he crested the hill he was 30 yards away, and about 3 seconds from getting a 41 magnum to the lungs. He noticed the does were on the right side of me and turned straight in front of the rifle, so he got a 308 instead.
    Delicious venison.

I had several does no horns and few guys who think they are Davey Crocket and can sneak up on deer…..

Boolit Grand Master

Are you waiting for a buck? I don't know how the weather has been there, but with this slight warm up I'm guessing this will be a good week.

Boolit Master
    Are you waiting for a buck? I don't know how the weather has been there, but with this slight warm up I'm guessing this will be a good week.
    snow and cold our rut is done it was fast and intense and the waiting in buck is because does tags are limited. The libs protected the wolves again and the population is out of control killing allot of deer and reducing the deer population. Plus our DNR a is inept and does not know how to manage resources becuase their is to much political influence. The woods turns yellow with tons of corn for 9-days. Next week is muzzle loader and that like having a party and not inviting anyone. But my week to get meat on the table.

Boolit Master
    This year I took the advise of I believe sixshot who aid if you want to shoot a deer with a handgun...don't bring a rifle...

I leave for Pennsylvania Friday morning...only two .41s are going with me... A custom Gary Reeder 5.5" Ultimate .41 Hunter and a Freedom Arms 83 with 4.75" barrel. Went to the range this morning to do the final check on the ammo...9.0 grains of UNIQUE one load with a MP Keith 211 grain HP and the other the last of my stash of 220 grain Speer JSWC-Ps... Both are just over 1200 fps from the guns brought....1180 from a 4" S&W 57.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    This year I took the advise of I believe sixshot who aid if you want to shoot a deer with a handgun...don't bring a rifle...

I leave for Pennsylvania Friday morning...only two .41s are going with me... A custom Gary Reeder 5.5" Ultimate .41 Hunter and a Freedom Arms 83 with 4.75" barrel. Went to the range this morning to do the final check on the ammo...9.0 grains of UNIQUE one load with a MP Keith 211 grain HP and the other the last of my stash of 220 grain Speer JSWC-Ps... Both are just over 1200 fps from the guns brought....1180 from a 4" S&W 57.
    That’s sound advice and your loads above are looking good. Good luck

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in no position to argue with sixshot, but I think you may have taken that out of context. I've hunted with only a handgun before, and yes I killed with that handgun. That said, I've killed far more with a handgun when I also had another gun. Sometimes that rifle in the lap puts you in a better position to be using the handgun, than if you had only had the handgun. On the other hand, this is for ambush hunting. If you are doing spot and stalk, then I guess his advice only makes sense.

Boolit Master
    I'm in no position to argue with sixshot, but I think you may have taken that out of context. I've hunted with only a handgun before, and yes I killed with that handgun. That said, I've killed far more with a handgun when I also had another gun. Sometimes that rifle in the lap puts you in a better position to be using the handgun, than if you had only had the handgun. On the other hand, this is for ambush hunting. If you are doing spot and stalk, then I guess his advice only makes sense.
    I hunt with both at times and with only one or the other sometimes. However I always carry a handgun daily. As you say the situation dictates the lineup….

Boolit Master
    I usually have a handgun with me when rifle hunting but it is often just a .22....

Was talking to CWlongshot yesterday about this. He said one time he was in a stand with a .308 and a handgun... .44 or .45. Nice buck..40 yards out...took it with the rifle and then had to ask himself why he didn't make the shot with the handgun...

Where I hunt the longest shot I've had is 125 yards...all the others were under 75 except one followup shot at 90. None of my friends have shot over 75 either...

Boolit Master
    My shots are close 25-100 yards max but it’s thick so one must pick your shot through the opening between twigs and brush. I carry both short shot handgun small window might be either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12