Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blasphemy! Safe queen dethroned

Blasphemy! Safe queen dethroned

At the range yesterday, a guy 2 benches down was watching me shoot my well worn 4" 29-2 Smith&Wesson. He walked down and asked me if I liked it. I told him that I did and was a self confessed S&W addict. He went back to a backpack and pulled out an ufired and (looked like) unturned 8-3/8" nickel 29-2 with box and all the tools and paperwork, The cylinder had only 3 stain marks on every other hole and the recoil plate was spotless. It was a beautiful specimen if I ever saw one. He then preceded to load the gun and run about 25 or 30 rounds through it, not hitting the steel plate at 25 yds 1 single time. Then he put it in an old wool sock and dumped it back in the back pack. He also asked me if $1700 was too much to pay for it. I told him (of course) that he got a great deal but since I am not in the $1700 club, I really couldn't attest to that fact. I wonder what monetary damage he did to that gun by shooting it. I did tell him that using 44 Spl ammo in it would help his shooting and be kinder to the gun. I do remember that it had a N prefix in the 50000 range serial number. I don't fault him for shooting the pristine gun, it's his after all, but somewhere somebody is cringing at the thought.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Boy do I understand your thoughts.
    I collect,, and I also shoot. It's MUCH easier to buy a "shooter" already used a bit,, than to find a minty vintage gun.

I know folks who say; "I won't own a gun that I won't shoot!" I FULLY accept & appreciate their view. But instead of buying a minty gun & then shooting it,, buy a "shooter" & enjoy it. And if a minty gun come along,, at a very good price,, buy it,, and find a collector, who may want to buy it, swap it for an upgrade to their collection, or whatever.
    Everytime a minty vintage gun get used,, and devalued,, the value of the others goes up. then people complain about the prices of these fine guns. I say appreciate the minty ones in collections, and find shooters already devalued a bit.

In fact,, I have a few guns,, that I'll never shoot, and I have identical guns that were bought already shot,, and BOTH are very precious to me. I get "one to shoot & one to admire on display.!"

I have a few that I don't, and will never, shoot as well. Not because I am a S&W snob but because I consider it the preservation of the history and days gone by from a company that had to change the way they manufacture and finishing process to stay in business or had to move the manufacturing location to a more friendly law state. I have a couple of Hillary Hole guns that serve well but the older guns escalate in value quicker that a 401k. When a guy lays their money down, the decision to shoot or not is up to them. But it still was kinda' unusual to see this happen.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    He probably could have bought a slightly used gun for a whole lot less. Was one at our last show, that I just missed, for $850. A 1990 gun shot very little. LGS had one, with box, but lightly used, like the guy at the range had, 1974 ish year of mfg, for a lot less. Blue felt from the box needed replacing.

Boolit Master
    I shoot everything I own…..

Boolit Master

Everyone to his own wants and wishes. I have never been a collector and for me a firearm is useless if it is not to be shot. I do understand collectors though as I have one in my family. He collects old military stuff and rarely ever does any shooting and when he does it is with the modern "tupperware" stuff. james

I to shoot every weapon I own, however, I have several I acquired I have yet to shoot. Life is good, but life is better if one has rifles and pistols to look forward to shoot.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm more of an accumulator than a collector, and it is a whole lot cheaper to accumulate shooter grade guns than it is collector grade ones.

That said, I have shot some very nice guns with out hurting there value. If I were to somehow acquire a LNIB N frame like murf205 described, I probably wouldn't shoot it.

And if I did, I would hope to at least hit the target.

Robert

I think the 3 stains on the cylinder face is from the proof house.
    I've heard S&W fires 3 shots to proof their revolvers.
    If that's correct, it was unfired until you saw him with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Someone has to shoot those new guns or there wouldn't be used ones for us shooters to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Someone has to shoot those new guns or there wouldn't be used ones for us shooters to enjoy!
    That is probably the best way to look at it and if I had my druthers, I would buy a really nice one and shoot it. Heck, I gave too much for a 4" nickel 29-2 that had some freckling from being carried and having rubber grips on it for too long but it was as tight as a new one with perfect timing and lock up. BUT...it rewarded me with outstanding accuracy and I'm not afraid to stuff it in a holster and go on a walkabout like I would be a pristine gun. My old 629 has been dunked in the Kenai river twice (along with yours truly) and to dunk an unfired 29 would be a baaaaad idea.

Boolit Buddy
    When S&W quit counterboring cylinders my gun runner offered me a counterbored model 57 distributor sample because the current version wasn't counterbored. New and unfired 8 3/8 nickle with 3 power burned chambers. I probably shouldn't have but it didn't take long to make them all look the same. It hasn't been shot much in the past years and I still own it. Recoil wasn't much different than the 629 no- that I was shooting and the 44 was easier to find ammo for. Recoil finally effected my shooting and I went back to the 38 special and 45acp. Like others I have some that are unfired but not because of collector values. I don't ever plan on selling them andwhat they do with them when I'm gone ain't my problem.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Someone has to shoot those new guns
    I try to convince people that if you don't fire your guns once in awhile they'll get 'lot rot' like old cars people never drive.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Early this year I was looking to replace my warn out 629, none available. Well what about the new Anaconda? Not available in california, didn't pay the extortion but we happen to have a Classic Anaconda here in the case. The trigger was perfect and now it's my regular range gun.

A friend at the range said CZ bought Colt and the new Anaconda is Czech. Maybe they'll make the list next year meanwhile I'll shoot the USA made one.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe if it was something rare or super expensive I could care. As far as I'm concerned the a S&W 29-2 is a good sedan that people treat like a sports car. Great guns, but not hard to find, nothing special about them. Everyone and their brother has one with a 6" or 8 3/8" barrel. The only reason they are worth so much is because people pay that much. Maybe if it were the more rare 10 5/8" silhouette model I could see putting it in a glass case to look at. I will never understand why someone would take a basic N frame, or a Ruger Redhawk (maybe the 3 screw blackhawk is a better example?) and just sit and look at them. What do I know, I wouldn't pay $1700 for that unless I really wanted a pinned and recessed nickel 44 mag N frame either. I guess that's what you get from those who will pay $300 for standard off the shelf grips too.

Boolit Grand Master

Guns are for shooting. A few hundred dollars more in your estate won’t make up for a lifetime of pleasures lost.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

"S&W 29-2 is a good sedan that people treat like a sports car." In more ways than one. Those don't have the Endurance Package of the later 29's and I have seen people load them with some very high pressure handloads. I know because I was one of those people when I was a lot younger and the club I shot silhouette matches with in the 70's had a lot of people shooting some loads that I would not dream of now. 29-2's are fine guns but not when we try to make bazooka's out of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I shoot everything I own…..
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Many are 40+ Y.O and don’t get out much but at least 4-6 times a year. Then again for the most part they don’t see full power loads.

Boolit Master
    In 1976 I bought a Colt Python and a Diamondback 22, both new in the box for $500. I bought them fom a coworker who wanted to buy a set of tires for his dunne-buggy. I bought them for my brother. He passed away in March. His son owns them now. I never owned a Python but I do have Diamondback and a S&W 29-2. Here are their pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVERS 001.jpg  
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I have dethroned several and will continue to do so when the opportunity presents. I do t buy guns as investments and don’t get pleasure just looking at them. I want to shoot them! Hell I am going to die someday so why save it for somebody else to enjoy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast