Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady dies kicking my butt.... again...

I'm sure it works, but STP is so hard to clean off afterward.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'm sure it works, but STP is so hard to clean off afterward.
    Will it clean off with rubbing alcohol or acetone?

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS case lube was STP and it was water soluble if I remember right. Haven't used it for years. Use Bag Balm now, much cheaper and one box will last the rest of my life.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Not STP. STP is anything but water-soluble. I long thought it was some form of lanolin, but it's not that, either. Some long and unspellable chemical name that I forget.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    a lot of CANADIANS & BRITS, use UDERLY SMOOTH, hand cream. they put a dab on the bullet / lead head before inserting it into the chamber. we call it UDDER BUDDER. the BRITISH shooters forum in CANADA shoots, that they have use it. you can get a tube or can of it at any prescription center.

The early JDJ cases by SSK were all contender based cats and used the 225 Win Mag case to get 65k pressure rated rimmed cases.
    Today according to the owner, Star Line only makes 65k proofed 30-30 brass.
    You just need to use new unfired Star Line brass to step size and form. Use a 7-08 die, a 6.8 SPC die, then the 6.5 die with a 30-30 shell holder, fire form, one shot and only one shot, a full house, standard load. Please lube in and out of the neck with "case lube."
    I have had several of the neck up or neck down single shot cartridge guns for the handguns made by BF, XL, Merrill, TC, MOA, etc.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    STP - (Scientifically Treated Petroleum) is a petroleum based lubricating oil with a long chain zinc based additive included. RCBS case lube is, and has always been, lanolin based. Lanolin is derived from the natural oils present on sheep wool. They are two completely separate things.

The STP has worked for me-same bottle for 15 years, still almost full. I use it primarily with Hornady 300BLK dies and Nickel plated brass, and with 308 being necked down to 7mm-08.

I had problems with the Hornady 300BLK dies and stuck cases. I switched to a LEE sizing die and the problems stopped. So, I am back to using Hornady One Shot as my case lube, for 300BLK.

The STP inside the neck really helps get through the doughnut restriction on the up stroke after necking down.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Anneal before EXPANDING necks, but never before sizing DOWN.

Where you already have annealed, maybe try using a 7mm die of some kind first. That may work the brass enough to harden it up again.
    I totally disagree with your position here, sir.

By annealing you make the brass soft enough to conform to the new dimensions.

Not annealing will sometimes stress the brass such that the case collapses or the necks split.

Been there, done that, have the shirt.

Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    STP - (Scientifically Treated Petroleum) is a petroleum based lubricating oil with a long chain zinc based additive included. RCBS case lube is, and has always been, lanolin based. Lanolin is derived from the natural oils present on sheep wool. They are two completely separate things.
    Maybe they have changed the name but originally STP stood for Studebaker Top Petroleum. Can be easily removed with carb or brake cleaner.
    I use one of those flip open cases that calipers come in with a piece of sheet foam in the bottom saturated with STP and Q-tip.
    Roll the case over the foam,give the inside of the neck a swab and size and give the case a squirt with brake cleaner and blow it out with compressed air.

When I made 6.5 Remington Mag from 7 Remington Mag I found out that new cases had worked better than once fired. I had no reject’s with the new cases. I annealed after they were formed and trimmed.

Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12