Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Duke Venturino question

Boolit Grand Master

I remember reading the article Mike V. wrote explaing how he got the nickname "Duke" and why he was going to start using it instead of Mike in his by line ...
    Seems there was a dog involved in the story ... but if you want to use a nick name , go for it .
    My brother is "Digger" , a friend is "Fishy" , kid next door is "Bugger" , my Uncle is "Nookie" , local politician is "Needle Nose" ...
    ... funny ... I never got a nick name , kind of fell left out !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Does he ever stop by here anymore? I remember him chiming in on a thread about him or something he did a while back. I do enjoy his articles in Handloader.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Shrapnel ought'a know
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Shrapnel ought'a know

His last article in Handloader was on his experiences with single shot black powder cartridge rifle shooting ... all the different calibers he used and different rifles by different makers and then at the end ... no conclusion as to what caliber was best and what company made a good or the best rifle . I sure would have liked to hear some words of wisdom from someone who spent years shooting them and knew what worked and what didn't ...
    but there was nothing ... Kind of left me hanging !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Does he ever stop by here anymore? I remember him chiming in on a thread about him or something he did a while back. I do enjoy his articles in Handloader.
    Doubt it. The (I know more than he crowd) turns his type off.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

His last article in Handloader was on his experiences with single shot black powder cartridge rifle shooting ... all the different calibers he used and different rifles by different makers and then at the end ... no conclusion as to what caliber was best and what company made a good or the best rifle . I sure would have liked to hear some words of wisdom from someone who spent years shooting them and knew what worked and what didn't ...
    but there was nothing ... Kind of left me hanging !

Gary
    Mike very well may have had that information in the submitted article. Because magazines have editors and space limitations (# of words per article) the editors can and do edit some out.

Just before Mike quit posting here, he received a lot of undue criticism from some who do not understand the nature of magazine publishing and, thus, the type of articles he was writing. Also, he caught a lot of gruff from those who disagreed with him, especially when he questioned some "conventional wisdoms" AKA myths. Mike always backed his opinions up with test results and scientific facts. That really brought the criticism out. Mike was/is a busy guy and was only here to enjoy himself, discuss cast bullet shooting with friends and help others where he could. He left, or doesn't post any longer, because apparently, he didn't enjoy it any longer. That's unfortunate as Mike had a lot of knowledge to share. I miss his posts
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Mike very well may have had that information in the submitted article. Because magazines have editors and space limitations (# of words per article) the editors can and do edit some out.

Just before Mike quit posting here, he received a lot of undue criticism from some who do not understand the nature of magazine publishing and, thus, the type of articles he was writing. Also, he caught a lot of gruff from those who disagreed with him, especially when he questioned some "conventional wisdoms" AKA myths. Mike always backed his opinions up with test results and scientific facts. That really brought the criticism out. Mike was/is a busy guy and was only here to enjoy himself, discuss cast bullet shooting with friends and help others where he could. He left, or doesn't post any longer, because apparently, he didn't enjoy it any longer. That's unfortunate as Mike had a lot of knowledge to share. I miss his posts
    That's well said. Venturino continues to do good work.

Article length is much more critical nowadays and is often limited to around 2,200 words as opposed to years past when a feature length article might be over 3,000 words. No telling what gets omitted by editors and magazine staff.

Boolit Grand Master

I wish the editor's would at least think about what they are omitting .
    Reading an article only to find out the conclusions to years of shooting testing and experimentation has been cut off and left on the floor does a big disservice to both the writer and the reader .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I wish the editor's would at least think about what they are omitting .
    Reading an article only to find out the conclusions to years of shooting testing and experimentation has been cut off and left on the floor does a big disservice to both the writer and the reader .
    Gary
    I know exactly what you are saying, but...the editors may or may not be well-versed gun people, though they are generally very good professional editors and do a far better editing job on paper magazine articles than the very poor amateur work often seen on Internet pieces if they get edited at all. That's why you have twenty minute YouTube segments that need seventeen minutes edited out for clarity and best information. The "paper" editors, especially the non-gun expert types, may exclude something vital to an article, but often they don't know that. Still no excuse.
    Last edited by lotech; 11-23-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

The same thing has happened to me. Keyboard commandos have made me flee a couple muzzleloading forums. Life is much better with out arguing with idiots. Shooting is far more fun than staring at this stupid computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12