Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Source for gunsmithing screws

Source for gunsmithing screws

Starting a couple of new projects and find myself in need of some slotted, oval head machine screws and I'm having a hard time locating them. I'd prefer an assortment of some kind but Brownells only shows fillster head screws in an assortment and they are out of stock anyway. Ace hardware stores used to have gunsmithing screws but hardware stores definitely aren't what they used to be and they no longer carry them.

Looked at McMaster - Carr and the ones they have are either brass or stainless.

Anyway, if anyone knows where assortments are available that are slotted, oval head machine screws I'd appreciate it if you'll point me in the right direction.

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I just did a google and found this place, they have some but 11/32 is the longest...price is not too bad.

https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store...pe-Screws.aspx
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Starting a couple of new projects and find myself in need of some slotted, oval head machine screws and I'm having a hard time locating them. I'd prefer an assortment of some kind but Brownells only shows fillster head screws in an assortment and they are out of stock anyway. Ace hardware stores used to have gunsmithing screws but hardware stores definitely aren't what they used to be and they no longer carry them.

Looked at McMaster - Carr and the ones they have are either brass or stainless.

Anyway, if anyone knows where assortments are available that are slotted, oval head machine screws I'd appreciate it if you'll point me in the right direction.

Thanks for looking.
    If your Ace has the bolts and nuts in the (usually gray) steel drawers, they may have them. The Westfield-Ace stores here in OKC do. I believe they're all filister head, too, but some time with a drill motor and a file can modify that. Or maybe you need to buy a lathe!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    If your Ace has the bolts and nuts in the (usually gray) steel drawers, they may have them. The Westfield-Ace stores here in OKC do. I believe they're all filister head, too, but some time with a drill motor and a file can modify that. Or maybe you need to buy a lathe!

Bill
    I have one but I need 7 screws and I'd rather spend my time on other things than making screws if possible. One or two wouldn't be bad. Seven? I'd rather be trimming brass and that's bad.

Checked in a couple of Ace Hardware stores where I'd bought them before a few years ago but apparently they don't carry them anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

Several different assortments on Midway. This one has 12 each of many options.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007054845?pid=450063
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

You might try Brownell's.
    I've gotten odd size screws from them in the past..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Try your local ACE Hardware, mine carries a very good assortment. Sometimes you have to look pretty hard to find them.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB