Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 24ga Magtech shells

Boolit Grand Master

24ga Magtech shells

Anyone noticed that the 24ga brass Magtech shells have a smaller rim diameter????
    I got a Lee die set and the shell holder barely catches the rim.
    It's suppose to be .757, but is .719.
    I've been searching for a shell holder that would fit better.
    Any suggestions?????

Boolit Master
    from reading about snider users...maybe a .28ga holder will work better??? I seem to recall they are very close to same size but the rim size is great with one and problimatic with the other...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    from reading about snider users...maybe a .28ga holder will work better??? I seem to recall they are very close to same size but the rim size is great with one and problimatic with the other...
    Howdy Pards

I hear ya. Rims on 24 gauge slip out of the shell holder more often than I like. Have on occasion, with language not used since Army days, had to unscrew the decapping pin and use a wooden or fiberglass dowel to push ‘em out.

I have Lee dies and an occasional issue is a full-length-resized case that still refuses to chamber.

Not an issue with the commercial 577 brass. Wish it was not so expensive.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Boolit Buddy
    might be a year late in responding to this post ,but you might want to try using .585 Hubel express rifle brass as it is great quality, same makers of Cheytec brass and dimensions are about right for 24 gauge you'd get an easy 20 plus reloads at the very least with shotgun pressure loads, (prolly a hell of a lot more), and should serve your needs more than adequately.

My shell holder and 577 Snider dies are from CH4D and don't have any problems with the Magtec brass shotshells.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    i made my own shellholder for the CBC 24ga shells ,before any commercial stuff was available .....it has the correct shotgun style rim groove ,and fits tight........never the less ,it also does almost no work,because I only slightly neck size ........no other part of the case is worked .........This way ,CBC cases will last over 100 reloads ...well over .

Boolit Bub
    I saw this post and shoot a lot of 24 gauge shotgun plus reformed quite a few into 577-450. I have some Magtech brass hulls that I bought five or six years ago and they measure 0.656" at the base and 0.722" at the rim. I bought four new boxes only about month ago and they are 0.656" at the base and 0.722" on the rim. Exactly the same. So for kicks I measured some Factory Fiocchi factory 24 gauge and they were 0.654" at the base and 0.721" on the rim. I use a CH4D die set for the 577-450 and the shell holder fits fine for forming cases and reloading. Not sure what the problem is. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Master
    Compared to the early CBC cases ,most recent ones Ive bought have a slightly more substantial rim ......nothing like the correct 577/450 rim for sure ......but they get by.........There is a good reason for not making the cases more solid,and that is the distinction between rifle and shotgun in most countries and also ITAR.........the CBC cases are not border controlled ,as they are shotgun ammunition.

Boolit Bub
    John, I believe you are correct and being stamped with "24" gauge designation rather than a caliber pretty much defines them as shotgun hulls. A heavier base would take up valuable powder space as well. You can work up some impressive shot loads in a brass hull where you run out of room in paper or plastic. The converted cases shot fairly well in my 577-450 but not quite as good as genuine brass. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Master
    This thread kinda surprised me at first since I do shoot 24ga in a French double (Charlin).

Then it reminded me of the old .577-450 that my FIL had with the same rim dia and the old conversions of the Martini-Henry's to 24ga shotguns. Never really thought anyone would convert shotshells to rifle loads, but, they seem to work nicely.

Also glad that it means Magtech will probably continue to produce the 24ga in the future.

FWIW, I don't use shell holders to reload shotshells. Plate with a hole it in to deprime. Brass tube of proper size to seat primers on the flat plate (tube has side holes drilled in case a primer goes off) and also to seat wads. Small arbor press as I got tired of hitting things with a hammer (my fingers would get in the way ).