Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coat success

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    "I noticed you changed your powder charge along with going to powder coating. Did you notice better accuracy and did you work toward a bit more velocity."

I wasn't trying for more velocity as I have no chronograph. Other than that I've tried 3031, 4895 and leverloution. I had to use a filler with 4895 and leverloution was hard to come by. 3031 was picked up for around $30 a pound and I have plenty. I thought I would stick with 3031 with no need for a filler. I went with powder coat instead of ben's red just out of curiosity.

I did a load development at the range with my 30.30 and the charge of 24gr was about as good as I could get at 100 yards. With scope around 2 moa and with skinner peep it was more like 4 moa at 100. Either would be suitable for my needs. I did notice that this same charge in my mid 90's 94ae was not the best load for my dad's pre 64 mod 94. For whatever reason it likes a gr or two less. And oddly it prefers the 311041 over the 311165rf.

In a nutshell I'd say I went with 3031 because of availability and no filler ie one less step. The powder coat just simply wondering how it would do.
    3031 is one of my favorite powders for a lot of cartridges. I loaded 27.0 grains under several different cast bullets weighing between 170 and 190 grains before I ever knew there was powder coating, probably far before it was a thing. Seemed perfect for a gas checked lubed bullet. It worked very well on Washington state Blacktails cast of straight wheelweights shot from a late 70's model 94. Since I started powder coating I have not even thought about going back. Easier load development, don't have to mess with lube, higher working velocities. Not saying my lubed bullet loads were not accurate but it seemed I had a narrower window of powder charges that were most accurate. If lubed bullets have one advantage it is the lack of needing to clean the barrel because the lube won't allow rust and if the alloy/lube/velocity combination is right there is no leading either.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on a fine buck! Taken with the old obsolete 30/30, a cast bullet & 3031 powder, who would have thought it was possible! Good for you, hope you get another one.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That alloy combo is a winner for me to drop them on the spot with my 35 Rem. Nice job! As much as I’d like to use mine again for doe season I think I’m going to go back to my 77/44 with a 40/1 HP and try again.

congrats its the best when it was your own boolit
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

High-five and a slap on the back!

Great pictures!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Great job, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold

Congratulations nice buck!
    I always use my 30-30 even dropped a elk with it 2 year’s ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12