Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I now own a lubrisizer

I now own a lubrisizer

A pre owned lubrisizer came in the mail today. That’s very exciting. Now all I need to do is get sizing dies and some lube. I probably start focusing on cast boolits once deer season ends here. In about 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-16-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Do yourself a favor and get a Lube Heater before you get started. I have been using this type of Lube Heat for 30 Years -

Attachment 306952

Amazon sells them; Lyman and others make them, and....

https://www.amazon.ca/Lyman-Reloadin.../dp/B000N8OTME

Also; before using - check and replace if needed the o-Rings. They tend to give way over time and may be aged on your previously used Lube Sizer.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I would probably get one if you could use it to put powder coat on a boolit.

Boolit Master
    Nice, the heater may not be necessary depending on your lube of choice. There’s plenty of “stickies” on lubes and sizers to go thru to help guide you.

That's good.

That whole powder coat thing is just a fad anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as you don't try to lube and size boolits in a thirty degree garage, a heater may not be necessary. A good soft lube will flow at normal room temperatures, given enough pressure on the reservoir screw.

Look up the short version of how to make FWFL. I balked at the high prices of store bought lube and made my first batch of FWFL years ago, it works fine for the smokeless loads use it for both rifle and pistol. BP, I use a different lube (and lubrisizer).

Robert

I now own a lubrisizer

Yeah I have some learning to do with it. I think powder coating works but, it’s also more steps involved to do it. With my limited knowledge of casting it seems like there is no one size fits all. Powder coating works better for something’s and lube works better for others.

I’ll definitely be looking into the heater. I have no idea what lube I’ll be using. I’ll probably break it down and clean it soon.

It is good to have options.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Congratulations. I use a hairdryer for mine. If it’s chilly, I use it for a little heater on me too.

So I spent most of the night dis assembling the press and cleaning all of the old lube out. Works pretty slick now.

1st question is do you generally find one lube that you like and try and use that lube for all of your cast bullets ? If you do change lube what is your purge out procedure to get rid of the lube from the previous run?

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Have used the same lube for years for all my reloads, pistol & rifle.
    Made up some Bens's Red back then & still using it, with a little help from a DIY lube heater.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master

That sizer is a beast. You can't wear them out. I had one from an estate sale in much worse shape, cleaned it, lubed it, sold it to BIL, and he still likes me...go figure. Looks like yours will need a 1/4 socket and driver to rotate the pressure screw. I believe some have found Lyman (or other) has them, for a fee.

I decided not to spend the dime on a heater. I use the light bulb trick instead. Couple of towels thrown over the sizer, light bulb of 40 watts (or more), mine just happens to have an aluminum cone on it, direct at the sizer body for about 20 minutes prior to use and the entire sizer body get "just right" temperature for a casting session. If it cools and becomes harder to use, just apply the light bulb and towels for another 10 minutes (+/-).
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Yah, a 60 watt drop light does just fine as a heater. You've probably got one already.

Cleaning out - - If you can find a pot big enough, boil it. Don't expect to use the pot for cooking afterward, however.

Amazon has 1/4" bidirectional ratchets. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

One thing no one tells you about a lube sizer is to wait on rifle bullets. Let them harden over two weeks then size them. If not you get little banana shaped boolits. LsStuff.com has some great lube to get you started. Best of luck.

Congrats.... pretty simple tools that given respect will last a cpl lifetime's.

They are NOT swaging press's. Be careful,if it feels really tough to size,back off and reassess the situation.... don't just keep pulling harder.

The leade in on H dies is the little bevel at the top of the die;

Too abrupt and you get a noticeable bump,or hump in the force pressure curve. Too much bevel and the bullet can go in crooked. Not alarming,just a headsup on that,not so small tidbit. Some folks use shovels to dig rabbit holes.... I like Case backhoes,bwahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20221117-073813_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Master

Subject shift for Shopdog

I'd like to know more about that carousal holding those Uni-flow powder measures in your pic. Is that a DIY?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    So I spent most of the night dis assembling the press and cleaning all of the old lube out. Works pretty slick now.

1st question is do you generally find one lube that you like and try and use that lube for all of your cast bullets ? If you do change lube what is your purge out procedure to get rid of the lube from the previous run?

I have used many different lubes over the years but have settled on one, Carnuba Red (CR). CR needs a heater, just barely, and is very economical. I would suggest trying one of the lubes from Lars at White Label Lube, you can't make it yourself for the price he charges. From Lars selection, you should be able to find a lube that just suits your need. https://lsstuff.com/home

Boolit Buddy
    White Label Lube is my go to lube. I do use a heater with it.

H dies?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post

Just answering the "what is the purge out procedure" question here. I disassembled my new used Lyman and sunk it in the cast iron Dutch oven my wife gave me for shop use, filled it with tapwater, and put it on the stove, covered, and brought it to a boil. Next morning, when it was cold again, I pulled the clean parts out, reassembled it with new gaskets bought from eBay, and put a stick of RCBS lube in it. The old lube was hardened in a layer on the top of the water. Pulled it out and trashed it.

I have here a set of lube molds made from PVC pipe that I bought in the Swappin' and Sellin' area, and will someday start making my own lube. I need to lay hands on a tube of Polyrex EM grease first...I have plans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast