RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" Python purchased in 1974

Boolit Master

4" Python purchased in 1974

A friend's girlfreind was settling her mother's estate recently and brought home a minty python. No box but had the manual and a bill of sale. $210 including tax. I imagine someone would pay a couple grand for it ( not me though ). Easily a 99% piece.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

You can figure on it !
    Last edited by missionary5155; 11-19-2022 at 09:56 AM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    You a figure on it !
    They have not had the time to determine a value. If they offered it to me for $1,200 I would buy it but they would be leaving a lot on the table I think.

A bit over $2k would be a fast sale. The new ones are stainless and going for about $1.7k. A dedicated collector might offer $3k.

DG

Boolit Master
    It will be interesting to see what they do with it. She has a son who is into shooting, would make a heck of a Christmas present for him.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    JUST to account for inflation (1974 dollars to 2021 dollars), the price would have to be $1150. But yes, depending upon how fussy one is about having a box for it (a non-issue, to me) I'D expect it to go fast at $2300.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

If it is the grandfather's gun, it should be offered to her son.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    my first python was a 4 inch. shot it very well off hand. thought that i could do better with a 6 inch. so traded it in on a 6 inch. couldn't shoot it as well. a friend liked it and i sold it to him. a year or less later i bought another 6 inch. couldn't shoot it either. it's gone now. that was over 40 years ago; and, i still think about that first python

Boolit Master
    The new ones have 'diluted' the price on originals a bit. But, over $2000 would be a safe bet and should be over $3000 in pristine condition.

I remember when they were $200-ish.
    When I was making 10 cents over min. wage that was $1.25 an hour, I didn't think I'd ever have $200. in one place.

However many hours & blah, blah it'd take for me to save up enough to buy one then compared to now-
    If I was making $10. an hour -- somewhat/a little over min. wage now, and they are $1700. now days--

Relatively speaking:
    Also then, gas was 30-odd cents a gallon, now it's $3-ish dollars and change.
    So it looks like the price of the new ones is fairly consistent or maybe a little lower than they were back then.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-17-2022 at 10:43 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    A few guns such as the Python have done well in appreciation however guns on average haven’t really done any better than keeping up with inflation. If you invested money back then and all that happened was it kept up with inflation you’d have fired your financial advisor long ago. So sure it’s cool that a Python is worth what it is but it is nothing remarkable but still a good thing.

Boolit Master
    Python values are kinda like the stock market. They go up and down over the years. The last surge up was when The Walking Dead series started, since one of the stars carried a Python. Then the new Python production started (and they fixed the initial issues). That dropped the prices a bit. Will the prices stay down or go back up? Who knows. I hate to say it but the future prices may just depend on some youtube types and how they compare the new ones to the old ones.

Boolit Master
    Well, if you can get a nicely built Smith or GP 100 without issues, you can have a revolver that performs very well for a lot less than a Python.

Boolit Master
    I won't disagree.

There were two things that set the Python apart. The distinctive look and the hand tuning from the factory. In those days it was a level above the others.

BUT...you could buy a S&W, or even a Colt Trooper, give it to a good gunsmith and have a gun that performed just as well or better (ask Miculek ). The price would be near the same given the cost of good gunsmiths.

Now days factory guns are still a random choice. You can buy one that has a smooth as silk trigger and the next one off the line will be horrible. You can still get a good gunsmith to fix them, if the cost is worth it to you.

It all depends on why you want the gun. If you want a .357 to carry in the field then get something else. I carried an SP101 for a long time, but, when I went to the range I loved to shoot the Python.

The originals had the Colt royal blue which was a finely polished and blued exterior.

The new ones, stainless with a matte finish, meh.

I'd take one of the originals over a new one in a second, no comparison.

Note: There are no new Pythons. There are Colt revolvers that have the name Python on them and they are Pythonish in size, but the interals are very different from the real Pythons. I can't understand how folks can get all excited about having a new Python, when they are really Colt made Python knock offs.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    About 25 year ago a friend called and asked for help cleaning and preserving several firearms he owned. He is not a hunter, or a shooter, or a collector, but he does accumulate anything he thinks will have value. He had about 40 firearms in all that were reasonably clean in his assortment. One in particular caught my attention. It was a Colt Python, blue finish, 6" barrel, all original. It had no box or paperwork, but was exceptionally clean and needed only a slight amount of care to put it away for the next few years. The thing I remember the most about it was that it carried a 2 digit serial number! Wow, and wow again. I still have nightmares about that Colt. He told me up front that he was not going to sell any of his firearms so that kept me from going bankrupt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    The originals had the Colt royal blue which was a finely polished and blued exterior.

The new ones, stainless with a matte finish, meh.

I'd take one of the originals over a new one in a second, no comparison.
    I agree, but, I am also biased.

A friend who was a gunsmith was obsessed with the old Colt blue. He spent a couple of years trying to duplicate it and finally succeeded. I 'donated' a Rem cap and ball revolver for some of his testing. The final one came out simply beautiful and had the same look as the Python. I gave him the pistol which he used in CASS matches.

Boolit Master
    In 1976 I bought a Python and a Diamond back for $500. Both with 4inch barrels & new in the box unfired. I bought them from a coworker who wanted a new set of tires for his dune buggy. I bought them for my brother. He passed away in March and they now belong to his son.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Some folks like Fords and some like Chevy . . . .

About 12 years ago, I had the opportunity to buy a 4" Blued Python (made in 1974 IIRC) that was about 98% for at a very good price - I wanted to see what the "Python experience" was all about.

I shot it about 4 different times and it wasn't my cup of tea - I just personally prefer my old S & W M & P 5" that left the factory the same year I was born. I decided to sell the Python within a year or so of buying it and multiplied what I paid for it by several times over, so it was worth it to give it a try.

I have settled several estates over the years, and while the Trustee/Executor/Administrator has to perform their duties as prescribed in the interest of all Heirs, there are certain pieces of personal property where the sentimental value far out weighs the dollar value. If the Python belonged to the woman's father and the son wants it, I hope everyone involved sees that he gets it as he'll probably greatly treasure it. It's too late if it is sold outside of the family and then down the road, the grandson can only say, "I wish I had Grandpa's . . . . "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast