Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dog adoption

Boolit Master
    I read this last night. We had to put our pitbull/lab Bob to sleep due to cancer and he was loosing control of his back legs. This was about 3 years or so ago. Both the wife and myself missed him so bad. Well late this afternoon I got a call from my neighbor who does the maintence on my truck. Would I be interested in an 8 week male pitbull/lab puppy?. He's now sleeping in crib the wife made from a laundry basket. So tomorrow off to wally world to get some puppy chow and canned dog food. Strange how funny things work out. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Maybe they won't put me in the "time out" cage and let me interact with the dog.
    If you behave, hopefully they'll give you a treat.

I did that when our company transferred a guy from another location to be our new general manager.
    We got along fine. One day (he hadn't been at our location more than a week or two),
    I did something good, and he called me in to the office to tell me how wonderful I am.

He got done, I thanked him, and stood there with my mouth open.
    After a bit,,,,,,, He asked me if I was OK......
    I told him, "Back at the institute,,,, when I did something good, the staff always gave me a M&M".

I guess nobody had ever done that to him because it sort of scared him.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    reddog81 said:

Maybe you hit on it, the way the shelter is handling this. I don't know how they handle other "adoptions", but this dog does have issues with little or no socialization. Maybe they are truly concerned about the dog going to the wrong home, considering what he's been through.
    They're not charging any extra for this special attention, and in an email they thanked me for my patience, and said that it will be worth it. Maybe I'm just too old school.
    Anyhoo, I do want that dog. I'm going back tomorrow morning. Maybe they won't put me in the "time out" cage and let me interact with the dog.
    Hopefully it works out. Once that dog bonds with you he will be loyal to a fault. It might take a few meetings but once you are on his good side, he should be a great companion. Don't push him too hard at first. You have to work on the dogs schedule, not yours. Even meetings where you don't say anything to the dog, don't look at the dog, and don't have any interactions at all are beneficial as they allow the dog to become familiar with you and realize you are not a threat.

I had a German Shepherd that it took 4 to 6 meetings before he warmed up to a person but once you were his friend you were good to go. Even people he hadn't seen for years he'd remember and run up on them and want attention.

Boolit Master
    Their procedures would be logical if the dog had some kind of bite history or similar issues.
    Yep, you nailed it. They told me today, for the first time, that the dog bit one of the young workers awhile back. Not a bad bite, not an attack, but more of a hand grab. That's why they're doing what they're doing.
    The problem is that, even if he eventually takes to me, we'll have to repeat the process with everyone new, including my wife. I'm not sure I could ever trust this dog. Maybe if it was just the dog and me living in a cabin in the woods, it'd be fine, but...
    Now there's a thought...

Yep, you nailed it. They told me today, for the first time, that the dog bit one of the young workers awhile back. Not a bad bite, not an attack, but more of a hand grab. That's why they're doing what they're doing.
    The problem is that, even if he eventually takes to me, we'll have to repeat the process with everyone new, including my wife. I'm not sure I could ever trust this dog. Maybe if it was just the dog and me living in a cabin in the woods, it'd be fine, but...
    Now there's a thought...
    WHY didn't they tell you that in the first place? Sounds to me like you're dealing with several problems all at once. I'd be backing out and telling them exactly what I thought about the whole mess. Idiots.

Boolit Master
    Yep, it would have helped if they had told me up front.
    I think my next pet will be a Pepperidge Farm goldfish. You can eat them when you get tired of them.

Boolit Master
    Now there's a thought...
    Probably not a good choice for a busy house with people and kids coming over on a regular basis, but not too hard if you have an area where you can isolate the dog when guests come over occasionally. But it is something you will need to be cognizant of at all times. You can pretty much guarantee your house will be safe from opportunistic burglars with a dog like that on guard.

Boolit Master
    It's not really a busy house. And he can definitely be isolated when needed. But, I like to walk in the woods alot and there's always other people with dogs. I was feeding him peanut butter on a spoon through the fence and I gotta say, he is a scary **** dog - black nose, fur, eyes. It was like feeding a bear. I would not bother a house that he was in.
    I'll probably go back next week.

Boolit Master

This my buddy "Dutch!"

After I lost my best friend "Curly" due to old age, I had a big empty spot in my heart. Went to an animal shelter, and there he was, just waiting for me and the wife! We paid $100, he had his shots, and took him home the same day! He was 4 months old when we got him, now he is 2 years old and and rules the house!

All I have to say is, "You want to go for ride?", and he is on the move!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	307006
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

It's not really a busy house. And he can definitely be isolated when needed. But, I like to walk in the woods alot and there's always other people with dogs. I was feeding him peanut butter on a spoon through the fence and I gotta say, he is a scary **** dog - black nose, fur, eyes. It was like feeding a bear. I would not bother a house that he was in.
    I'll probably go back next week.
    Can always use a muzzle on walks at first. Until you learn his temperament. He may have grabbed her hand because he wanted something, my lab Misty did that and would drag you over to her toys then let go and pick up the one she wanted to play with... never broke skin but clamped on hard enough you were not getting your hand back until you went with her... she only did this with adults and teens. Young kids she would bring the toys to them and let them pick. So until you know what she really wants I would not ascribe it as biting...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Can always use a muzzle on walks at first. Until you learn his temperament. He may have grabbed her hand because he wanted something, my lab Misty did that and would drag you over to her toys then let go and pick up the one she wanted to play with... never broke skin but clamped on hard enough you were not getting your hand back until you went with her... she only did this with adults and teens. Young kids she would bring the toys to them and let them pick. So until you know what she really wants I would not ascribe it as biting...
    Years ago, I had a timber wolf cross, big, beautiful animal, he did not like males, tolerated me and my sons, loved women, except one crazy girlfriend of my one son, he knew she was nuts, well he got rid of her, she claimed, she knew big dogs, she came in and plopped down in-between my son and the dogs food and grabbed for him, he nailed her, that cost me a bundle.. Great lead dog, good with the family, only drawback was he loved skunks and cats, not sure which was number one favored food. I could rough house with him, the spit would fly, growling, snapping, I could put my hand in his mouth and he would only gum my hand, only time he ever drew blood from me is when I waded into a dog fight and tried to break it up.

Boolit Master
    The biggest problem would be if I needed someone to take him for a day, or let him out, feed him, etc. I'm working this in my mind every which way but I'm thinking it might not work. I'll see how he is next week.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've had a similar experience. Apparently shelter dogs have turned into a lucrative business. $750 adoption fee after a big run-around. Shelter is full of pit bulls because everyone is convinced they'll attack someone at the first opportunity. Whole thing irritates me to no end. I don't need a dog, now I'm convinced I don't want one.
    Problem with Pit Bulls that are in a shelter is that they are there for a reason and are an unknown quantity. I wouldn't go near one unless I knew who the trainer was and even then most likely not.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The biggest problem would be if I needed someone to take him for a day, or let him out, feed him, etc. I'm working this in my mind every which way but I'm thinking it might not work. I'll see how he is next week.
    I looked after my neighbor's dog one time that was one of those red Australian collie-something dogs.
    It was unapproachable except for the family.
    I looked after it when they went on vacation one time.

I could flush & change its water bowl by holding a hose over the fence.
    It would stand back and let me slide its food dish through the gate enough for it to clear so I could close it.

I always wished it was more playful, but it was no big deal to look after it for a week or so.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Problem with Pit Bulls that are in a shelter is that they are there for a reason and are an unknown quantity. I wouldn't go near one unless I knew who the trainer was and even then most likely not.
    Based on what I've seen dogs are a lot like people in many ways. Some behave well no matter what the circumstances, some behave poorly no matter the circumstances but with most of them it largely depends on who they're around.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Beware of shy skidish dogs.

Boolit Buddy
    My daughter picked up a stray pit bull. That dog has not shown any agression towards anyone. I think the dog was either abanded or dumped my daughter fed a hungry dog and that dog now has the good life. I think alot of dogs end up in the pound, because people are moving and dont to take them on the move. The other reason I believe alot of dogs end up in the pound is they got the puppy and it starts grow and it became a pain the chewing, house training, making them mind. I think all my furture dogs will come from the pound that has outgrown chewing and is house trained.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123