Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dog adoption

Moderator Emeritus

I went to the local shelter to see a 9 year old lab that was homeless after his owner died. He absolutely attached to me... then the shelter idiots piped up and said "Since he is a purebred we need $450 adoption fee"... for a fixed male? He is still there and will probably die there because of greed. I was willing to give him a nice laid back retirement home where he could enjoy his last few years... being a senior dog with medical needs nobody else has wanted him...

Boolit Master
    Animal League of Green Valley has homed two dogs with us, so far.
    They work with what they are given, both people and pets.
    Don't get mad at volunteers! They get paid the same no matter what they do.

ALGV gets $85 for dogs, paperwork is one page.
    They will visit your home first and second, not optional.
    As a bonus, if you adopt a 10+ year old dog
    you can use their vet for free:
    Medicare for dogs, great service!

Green Valley is an unincorporated town in Pima county
    home to thousands of elderly people and elderly dogs
    a good lapdog can survive several owners.

They sourced to us Chico, an eight pound elderly Chihuahua.
    Four months ago Chico weighed 5 pounds, scrawny.
    Chico came from a hoard, unsocialized, broken jaw, no teeth.
    He will do anything for a Cheerio.
    In four months I have Chico trained to a leash, walking around the block.
    Chico bonded to his new mommy at first sight.
    I taught this Chihuahua not to bark, only when really necessary, just growl.
    Smart little dog, I can carry him concealed without a permit in Arizona.

Over in Tucson, Pima County dog pound has at least 400 pitbulls,
    sorry, "Staffies", if you need a wild junkyard dog, take your pick.

Boolit Master
    I've been in touch with the shelter, and it looks like we've reached some kind of understanding. As was said in an earlier post, it's not the dog's fault. I'm going back tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I went to the local shelter to see a 9 year old lab that was homeless after his owner died. He absolutely attached to me... then the shelter idiots piped up and said "Since he is a purebred we need $450 adoption fee"... for a fixed male? He is still there and will probably die there because of greed. I was willing to give him a nice laid back retirement home where he could enjoy his last few years... being a senior dog with medical needs nobody else has wanted him...
    So Sad

I'm not willing to pay several hundred dollars for a shelter dog with no idea what it's background is. If I'm going to spend money like that I want to see the pup's parents, see where it has been living, gauge the environment the pup and parents have been living in and make an informed decision.

Shelters have completely turned the priorities around. No wonder they are filled with unadopted animals.

Boolit Bub
    The people and dogs' are "sterling".

Mark

Boolit Bub
    We have been breeding and showing pure bred dogs for over 50 years now. If you are looking for a specific breed, contact a local dog club or a regional breed specific club for a list of breeders. Often breeders will place retired show dogs or animals that just didn't pan out properly for the show ring or breeding. Most times we use the same selection process for their prospective owners as we do for placing the puppies that we sell. The retired animals are usually placed for only the cost of spay/neuter. We have had a waiting list of people who want a second or third retired show animal from us. Most of these dogs have had a lot of house time and some have show and/or obedience titles. There are quite a few breeders who work this way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I've been in touch with the shelter, and it looks like we've reached some kind of understanding. As was said in an earlier post, it's not the dog's fault. I'm going back tomorrow.
    We need friends and so do they!

Boolit Master
    I purchased one dog in my life - a Brittany Spaniel, that was about 30 years ago from a private breeder - she has passed on now. The others (and there have been many over the years - too many for me to actually count right now) were all gifted to me or abandoned by someone. My son drives a lot for his work and has picked up several great dogs off the highway - none had collars or chips but all turned into outstanding companion animals.

So I don't go to shelters - I just put out the word when I get the urge for a new puppy and the heavens respond...

I have found that dogs in general, are great judges of character, they know a dog lover at first meeting.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I've gotten two dogs at shelters, out of nine. The other seven found us, which included three purebreds. We haven't had a dog for two years. It's time. Churchill said that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. Same with dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I have found that dogs in general, are great judges of character, they know a dog lover at first meeting.
    We haven't been there in 20-odd years, but the SPCA shelter in Dallas would watch you as you 'shopped' for a dog.
    They were more interested in the dog picking you than which one you wanted.

If the dog didn't like you, you didn't get it either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Funny you say that. Many years ago, I was visiting a friend’s house when their next door neighbor came over with a beautiful sable dachshund. She came up to me and immediately made friends, then sat with me the entire time the neighbor was at the house. They left and that was the end of it…until the owner had to get rid of the dog because her apartment manager noticed she hadn’t paid the pet deposit. She called my friend, who in turn called me, so I ended up with Rhea, who lived with us 14 years until her death, and gave birth to an entire line of local dachshunds. We used to say she was the smartest dog who ever lived…which simply shows how we felt about her.

Our dog found us at the shelter, little guy was in a cage with two other dogs one of which snapped at the volunteer. The dog in the corner was handed to me & we sat down for a visit, he was shaking & seemed scared for a bit, then a big lick up my face wife said she better pay for MY dog now he's curling up next to her! She treats him better than she does me.

Boolit Master
    Years ago, my former neighbors bought a very expensive Tibetan Terrier, spent alot of money on training, etc. They were not dog people. I took care of that dog quite a bit over the years. They moved a few years ago when the dog was 13. They didn't want her anymore, so I said I'd take her. She lived to be 16. How do you give up a dog after 13 yrs?
    Friends of friends had a purebred Weimaraner (with papers) for three years, and they hated her. The 3 yr old dog never ran, and had been penned all the time. I took her. I'll never forget the first time she ran in an open field. Beautiful dog. I had her until she was 11.
    Some people should not have dogs, guns, cars, kids...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    What was the outcome?

Their procedures would be logical if the dog had some kind of bite history or similar issues. I've helped socialize shelter dogs and German Sheperds can be very difficult to handle if they are under socialized. It's not uncommon for German Sheperds to bond to one person or a family and view everyone else as the enemy. Those GSD's are likely to end up at a shelter when something bad happens. A normal friendly GSD at a shelter usually gets adopted quickly.

If that is their normal process for every dog it seems like a recipe to drive away every adopter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    What was the outcome?

Their procedures would be logical if the dog had some kind of bite history or similar issues. I've helped socialize shelter dogs and German Sheperds can be very difficult to handle if they are under socialized. It's not uncommon for German Sheperds to bond to one person or a family and view everyone else as the enemy. Those GSD's are likely to end up at a shelter when something bad happens. A normal friendly GSD at a shelter usually gets adopted quickly.

If that is their normal process for every dog it seems like a recipe to drive away every adopter.
    Australian shepherds can also become single owner protective. I was given a red merle named Hannah, she had been terrorized by a kid whose family thought he was a little darling…

She stayed away from everyone and was a biter, until I got on her good side. Unfortunately, I created a monster because my wife and kids could not approach me without Hannah going after them, so I finally gave her to an older couple. I will say that I never felt safer going on a walk - she stayed just behind my right leg, no matter where I went.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    NO shortage here of shelter dogs, just lots of bleeding hearts, Shelter dogs here run $500.00 or more. Want home visit, yes they have shots and are fixed, just a money extraction tool. I got my last 3 great Pyrenees F-males for a lot less than shelter wants, saw the parents, interacted with the parents, shelters does not get Pyrenees. Have two now, one a year old the other a year and a half old. Great with the wife, I pity the fool that tries to mess with her. Lot of dogs come up here from the south, some good - some not so good. Pyrenees pups don't last a week when advertised, seem to be somewhat rare around here ?? From the farm they will sell for $200.00 on up. Found one big male by here, but he was fixed. Have not found another yet.
    I paid $600 for my puppy (in my avatar) from a farm four hours away I Virginia. Both his parents lived/worked there. Told his Father I would take good care of him. Yup, talk to dogs as if they are human. They understand. Anyway there were no Great Pyrenees around here in shelters as they are used as working dogs. My Ruger is the best dog I have ever had but they do require a lot of time spent with them.

Boolit Master

We hadn't had a dog since kids came along a couple decades ago. My wife's miniature schnauzer just wasn't good around kids, so he went to live with Grandpa the rest of his days (which worked out well).
    To be honest, I'm just not a dog lover either. To me, dogs are a messy nuisance.

Fast forward a decade and a half, and the kids had been wanting a dog for a long time, so I finally relented. We did the shelter thing for weeks it seemed, couldn't find the right fit. My oldest REALLY wanted a dog, and kept looking and looking. She found one that looked promising, listed online at a shelter about an hour away. We went as a family but never got to see the dog.

They took us into a room and started into a spiel about "adopting". She told us that you don't "buy" a dog, because that's akin to slavery; you "adopt" because a dog is a member of the family. Whatever.
    She then went on to tell us how this particular dog was an "escape artist", and had anxiety issues, was known to destroy furniture when left alone, and didn't like men with facial hair. Before giving us a chance to even respond, she told us that she would need a written plan on how we would deal with these issues, and they would also need to do a home visit during this extensive process. It would also be several hundred dollars when it was all said and done. She seemed taken aback when I interrupted her to say this is not the dog for us.

My daughter was frustrated that it was taking so long to find a dog, but a few weeks later we ended up buying (yes- buying, it's a dog, not a person) a border collie mix puppy for $300.

OK, so I'm not a dog lover. We didn't get along too well at first. He chewed up and peed on everything. He barked and whined. He really annoyed me. The kids LOVE him, and he really is a good dog. As much as he must know I'm not a dog person, he really seems to think that I like him. He runs to the door when I come home, wanting his ears scratched. He brings his favorite toy, wanting to play. OK, I admit it, we're buddies. Maybe I'm not such a dog hater after all.

I would definitely trust a dog to pick up on subtle cues and alert you to a suspicious character in general too. Our dog loves everyone, doesn't know a stranger, but one time a friend came over and the dog had a fit. He growled and stood in his way, made it clear he didn't like this guy at all. It took a little while to calm him down.

I was talking to my sister later, mentioned it, and she got concerned. Dogs know evil, she said, don't let that guy in your house ever again; he must be a really bad guy. BS, I said. Dogs pick up on subtle body language, smells, and clues that we don't notice. There was something that bothered him, but it doesn't necessarily mean my friend was "evil". Sometime later, my nephew stopped by, with facial hair and a ball cap similar to my friend. The dog reacted the same way. He just didn't like the way he looked!

My friend was here again just last week, and the dog was fine, sniffing and making a new friend. I guess he must have changed his evil ways.

Boolit Master
    reddog81 said:
    German Sheperds can be very difficult to handle if they are under socialized.
    Maybe you hit on it, the way the shelter is handling this. I don't know how they handle other "adoptions", but this dog does have issues with little or no socialization. Maybe they are truly concerned about the dog going to the wrong home, considering what he's been through.
    They're not charging any extra for this special attention, and in an email they thanked me for my patience, and said that it will be worth it. Maybe I'm just too old school.
    Anyhoo, I do want that dog. I'm going back tomorrow morning. Maybe they won't put me in the "time out" cage and let me interact with the dog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast