Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dog adoption

Boolit Master

dog adoption

Since 1983, I've gotten two dogs from a shelter. Walk in, find a dog, take it for a walk, pay the fee and go home. Worked just fine two times. The other 7 dogs found us somehow.
    So, tell me if what happened lately is normal now, and if times are changing that much...
    We found a dog online. We went to the shelter on Sunday. The dog was a little shy. Outside, the two trainers walked him on a leash. They made us stay on the other side of the driveway, slightly ahead. No contact, no speaking to the dog...nothing. Everything that dog did, he got a treat, though they never scolded him, even when he jumped on a "trainer".
    OK, fine.
    I went back Monday by myself. They brought me into a room and had me sit behind a cage/fence. Three trainers played with the dog in the open area, but I sat in "time "out" behind the cage/fence. Finally, they gave me a bag of treats and told me to toss them over the fence. No telling the dog to sit or whatever. They would not let the dog sniff my hand. Nothing. For over an hour.
    That dog wanted to come to me in the worse way. Very smart Shepherd. I've had 9 dogs since 1983 - that dog and I would have been best friends in ten minutes.
    No scolding, no correcting, just treats. Dogs are pack animals - they need an Alpha. Without one, the dog is in charge.
    Is this how things are done now?
    I asked how long this might go on - probably 5 - 15 visits.
    I'm not going back.

Banned
    In these modern times it doesn't surprise me in the least , a couple years ago after my best friend of 20 years moved on to the dog paradise in the sky I went to a shelter thinking about getting a new best friend .
    When they mentioned home visits I said thanks but no thanks and went along my way .

I've had a similar experience. Apparently shelter dogs have turned into a lucrative business. $750 adoption fee after a big run-around. Shelter is full of pit bulls because everyone is convinced they'll attack someone at the first opportunity. Whole thing irritates me to no end. I don't need a dog, now I'm convinced I don't want one.

in this area you can normally purchase cheaper from a legitimate breeder cheaper than from municipal or non profit shelter -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Activists make terrible management decisions.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Hmm. Our local shelter is run like they were in the old days.
    Go in, pick one, play with it awhile, pay about $50. to 100. bucks, and take it home.
    And it has already been 'fixed', and is current on its shots.

There are also specific dog breeds in the 'rescue' system here.
    When the shelter gets in a obviously pedigree dog, they call them.
    There are groups with all volunteers that foster them.

Years ago, we got a Great Pyrenees from one of them.
    It was around $180. for all her shots, getting fixed, and a big bag of the food they feed them
    so you can mix it in and adjust them to yours. The volunteers sort of do it as a loss.
    I don't see them making much if anything by fostering and placing them.

They do screen you pretty well and make a value judgement before you can take one of them home.
    You go to their house and play with it, they didn't do it for us, but you can expect them to drive by your house
    and make sure you have a fenced yard, and the dog will have a good home.
    If you live in an apartment and think you're going to adopt a big dog- they'll send you home kicking your lunch box too.

Here, we also have a over supply of shelter dogs, and a few times a year, a bunch will get shipped up North to snow country
    where they seem to have a shortage of adoptable 'pound puppies'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-15-2022 at 05:41 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    NO shortage here of shelter dogs, just lots of bleeding hearts, Shelter dogs here run $500.00 or more. Want home visit, yes they have shots and are fixed, just a money extraction tool. I got my last 3 great Pyrenees F-males for a lot less than shelter wants, saw the parents, interacted with the parents, shelters does not get Pyrenees. Have two now, one a year old the other a year and a half old. Great with the wife, I pity the fool that tries to mess with her. Lot of dogs come up here from the south, some good - some not so good. Pyrenees pups don't last a week when advertised, seem to be somewhat rare around here ?? From the farm they will sell for $200.00 on up. Found one big male by here, but he was fixed. Have not found another yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Shelter dogs here run $500.00 or more. Want home visit, yes they have shots and are fixed, just a money extraction tool..
    Our shelters mostly have volunteers here. There is usually one employee that really runs the place and gets paid.
    Payroll and however much supplies are donated may have something to do with the varied amounts they charge.
    And the vet fees. If I'd gone to school all those years to be a vet-- I wouldn't work for free either.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Our dog came from a local shelter, originally came from Texas, along with 6 siblings and their mother. Eventually, they all got adopted.

Boolit Master
    I emailed the shelter and told them that I was done with the adoption process. They emailed back and wanted to know what went wrong. I told them that I absolutely have to interact with the dog. See what they say.

Boolit Master

It's tough to walk away from "the one". When you think about it, don't turn the dog down, it's not the dog's fault that people running the place are a bunch greedy you know what's. You might have been the best that has looked at the dog and that will break his/her heart.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    The dog is 2, and he has issues. He's a 75 lb pure black Shepherd. His previous owner died of an overdose, so the dog was raised in a drug house, and he was abused. I get it and I kinda get why they're taking it slow with me. They did say he was more at ease with me than anyone else who looked at him. Tough one. Great dog with baggage.
    They sent me a long explanation of what they're doing and why.
    I'll probably give it another try. Wifey won't let me get a girlfriend, so my options are limited.

These folks whine and moan about needing folks to adopt the dogs but they put up so many roadblocks. Sorry, I'm not filling out a bunch of paperwork to adopt a dog, and pay 300 to 500 dollars for the privilege. I'd rather buy from a breeder....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Here, big dogs over about 50 pounds are hard to place, and the shelter folks will usually be as accommodating as they can.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Our first dog when we got married was a Shiba from a breed specific rescue. Had to do a home visit, a little paperwork, and quite a drive to get her, but she was exactly what we wanted. Current big dog (110lb Husky/Golden Retriever mix) we got as he was being rehomed when he started getting big at about 6 months old. He is amazing and we've learned that a 6 month old pup is the perfect age to bring in. Past most of the house training but still plenty trainable for our needs.

Little Shiba died a few years back and it was time for a second. We found another Shiba through the same rescue and let me tell you, it's probably easier to get children from some countries than a dog from them. Application, background check, vet and personal reference, home visit/inspection, drive 2 hours to meet her with our big country dog and then go back the next day to pick her up. $400 but she is a puppy and fixed, shots, everything is good to go.

Our shelters in the area all still work like the old days you described. We tried 2 dogs from them over COVID and while they didn't work out and we ended up bringing them back, it was easy as pie.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Our dog came from a local shelter, originally came from Texas, along with 6 siblings and their mother. Eventually, they all got adopted.
    That's good.

Here, we have an overabundance of (for lack of a better word) just low born trash.
    They don't get their pets fixed, let them run loose, and when nature takes its course-- they just dump the puppies somewhere.
    A lot end up in shelters, and a lot also end up being coyote food.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Huh? My question would be "who is going to adopt the dog? The "so called" trainers . . . or you?

I know that there is an issue with dogs/cats being "adopted" and then they "become too much trouble" (idiots) so the get tossed out and abandoned. BUT . . . . a lot of these shelters need to learn how to "read" people as well. If a person didn't want to adopt an animal, they wouldn't/shouldn't be looking. How else can you tell if a dog/cat and a potential "adopter" are a good match unless they are allowed to have one on one interaction?

We lost a long time little guy about a year and a half ago and were looking for a new little dog to replace him - for us and for my older little poodle. Like you, we found one on-line at a county shelter - called and went to look at him. He is a little mixture. They put us in a "socialization" room with him so we could get acquainted and we spent about 45 minutes with him - fell in love with him at first sight and he came home with us. AFTER we adopted him and got him him home - took him for walks, etc. - we discovered he can be aggressive with other dogs - however, he and our poodle never had any issues and they love each other. We have worked with a trainer on the aggressiveness and we are making some good progress, but will always be "wary" when we have him around other dogs as he really stresses out in that situation. Yea . . . he may be a "dented Ford", but he is now our "dented Ford" and our responsibility - and he has a loving home. It beats being put out of what was his original home to wander the streets and try to survive - the loss of his "security", etc. and we all have bonded and he is well cared for.

Think about how many dogs/cats are "Covid dogs/cas" . . . people were shut in so they "got a dog/cat" . . . but after people started back to work again, how many of those animals were "thrown away" because the no longer were at home and didn[t want to be bothered with an animal anymore so they just abandoned" them . . . they should never have been a pet owner to begin with and I'm sure many would do the same to their children if they could. Shelters are over crowded as a result . . . and also think about how many of these animals were not "socialized" because they were shut in as well. We think that this is the biggest problem with the little guy we adopted and his stressing out around other dogs . . . he was probably a "Covid dog" and was never "socialized" . . . and at some point, he was "too much bother" so was tossed out on the street and "thrown away" like an un-wamted item.

Personally, I can understand shelters wanting to make sure that an animal goes to a good loving home, but that is no excuse for "distancing" an animal from a potential person who could give it a loving, caring home . . . and it's not fair to the dog and the potential owner to not allow them to interact, play and get to know each other. We saw the same type of thing though, that you experienced, when we visited several shelters . . and I made no bones about commenting and asking why they were trying to prevent people from adopting an animal in their shelter . . . and some got offended and others had no reasonable answer for why they were so "protective" in not allowing the animal and potential owner from interacting and seeing if they were a good ""fit" . . . but then I chalked a lot of it up to their age and their ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    deleted

Boolit Master
    My first f-male Great Pyrenees, well I got her at 6 weeks, and she spent the next 10 years with me, every second of the day and night, when she died it took over a year before I was ready to get a new friend, found a 8 week old Great Pyrenees f-male and drove down to the farm to get her, found out later she is part blind, she is a very good dog, her being blind is not a reason for me to get rid of her, she sees with her Knose, every morning she has to smell my face and make sure it is me, and she does well in a known area. She is kind, gentle, obeys good, trusts me, I understand her handicap and we work on it together. At 6 months I got a second Great Pyrenees f-male, so the blind girl would have a seeing eye dog as a companion, it has worked, the blind one followell's the young one around outside and protects her. Both are very good dogs. There is no way I would dump either one of them ! I still miss my first girl very, very much.................. These two are their own, individuals.......... Each are about 85/90 lbs, work good for the wife, obey wife, wife only outweighs either of the dogs by about 20 lbs, they each protect her, together they are a good safety blanket for wife. The dogs are wonderful companions.....

Talking about breeders reminded me of a life long friend that wanted a Rottweiler.
    We have a lot of folks who will get a pedigree dog, and have one, maybe two litters of puppies from it they sell off.
    Not to be confused with the puppy mills that supply most of the pet stores.

I don't have a picture of him, but if you look in a old dictionary under 'sarcastic', there's a little pen & ink drawing of him.
    He was over at this lady's house, and they were playing with 4-5 puppies to see which one picked him.
    One really attached itself to him and the lady said, "Ohhh, that's clyde. He's my favorite. I hate to see him go".

He told her she might want to think about breeding lawyers instead of dogs.
    That way she wouldn't be so attached to them when it was time for them go to a new home.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast