Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Silver on Copper Serving trays and pots…..

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

Silver on Copper Serving trays and pots…..

I just received, inherited, a large box of “Silver on Copper” plated trays, tea pots, cups etc. All dented and damaged, so their use for a 4:00 tea party is pretty much out of the question. Otherwise I would invite you all over for tea.
    But what, if anything, can I do with this 20 pounds or so of metal?
    I open to your suggestions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1D5CD63-E4A2-456D-8693-0878A6E07512.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	306911
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master

Unless some of the marks say pewter, you most likely have a lot of scrap copper. Very little silver would be salvageable.

Boolit Buddy
    I checked all the pieces and there are no markings that state pewter at all. Each says “silver on copper”. I’m not even sure I could generate enough of a heat source to melt these pieces down at all. Thought I’d ask though. May become a few very fancy bird feeders.

With copper prices the way they are right now, you may be able to get $40.00 to $70.00 at the scrap yard.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    And that was my other thought, take them to the scrap yard and sell or trade for some good lead. Never hurts to ask though…thank you all.

Boolit Master

discounting proof marks, if these silver plated items have soldered on handles, feet or raised decorative ridges on the edges they almost certainly contain pewter.

Trashed silver plated items are usually dirt cheap at donation stores. I have bought them often and have melted off the pewter with a propane torch (I don't bother with the ones with the tiny/thin decorative strips). After that you will have a lot of silver colored copper with a bit of solder clinging to it and a good amount of tin/pewter. I have never found any markings stating the items had pewter, but it is most certainly there.

Break out your propane torch and sacrifice a couple. I hold the item over a small cast iron fry pan with a pair of plyers and heat just the edges and where items are soldered in place. (note, if any of the feet, handles or spouts are bolted, screwed or riveted they are not pewter.) Pictured right to left; as purchased, pewter melted off and weighed score. The pewter isn't very clean or shiny at this stage. Once I have enough to process I melt and flux and then I cast them in the largest bullet mold I have. Then I do a little math to finger out how many pewter bullets need to accompany each of my lead alloy ingots into my casting pots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3868.jpg   IMG_3867.jpg   IMG_3866.jpg  
    Last edited by oley55; 11-16-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Yes they all have feet, handles, tops pieces etc. I’ll try this week and let you know. No sense in letting the birds have sterling silver foot rests. The birds around here aren’t that elite or elegant.

Boolit Master

Several years ago, when I was still traveling across the state, in my search for pewter I encountered a seller who informed me that one of his customers purchased silver plated copper, gave it an acid bath to remove the silver and sold both the copper and the recovered silver.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    Yes they all have feet, handles, tops pieces etc. I’ll try this week and let you know. No sense in letting the birds have sterling silver foot rests. The birds around here aren’t that elite or elegant.
    ???? did you find the pewter?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for the late reply. A lot has been going on here. I did get pewter. Almost a 1/2 pound. I melted off the handles, fancy little tops, spouts etc.
    So it turned out to be a good thing. I still haven’t gone to the scrap yard to sell or trade for some lead but I’ll get there.
    And I did treat the birds to very fancy feeder. They seem happy.
    Thank you all for the replies.