Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Corp Coatings

Boolit Bub
    I have been using BCB for a little while now. I got both hi tek and BCB to try them both out and without a doubt if you do all the proper steps, BCB is MUCH better than Hi Tek! I can run big batches of bullets at a time and have the process down very well.

I will have to do a write up on the steps I take for the whole process BUT BCB coated bullets look amazing compared to hi tek imo. They are smooth and shiny compared to not
    Smooth and a little shiny with hi tek.

Boolit Master
    Does BCB have a clear or gray so it looks like lead?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Their website shows a gunmetal colour, that looks very lead-like. I wish they had a copper colour, that looked very jacket-like.
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

EU is anti VOC, surprised it's used or allowed there.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas918 View Post
    It's not a powder coat. It's a powder that is made to be mixed with a solvent like acetone and alcohol for example. It is then swirled in that solution until almost all the solvent evaporates. Then the bullets are poured out onto a wire rack to completely evaporate the solvent. Usually takes 10 minutes and then you bake it in the oven. It is meant to be baked and recoated at least 2-3 times. Just like the process for HiTek coating.
    You do them lying down on the wire?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    Yes I bake them in a loose pile. Not a heaping pile, but enough to cover the bottom of a wire baking tray.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I agree some phenols can be nasty. But when baked they are pretty inert and stable. They are also very temp resistant after curing so it doesn't smoke or vape off during firing. It's the same with certain polymers like used in powder coatings. They can give off nasty fumes when baked and burned.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    The damned EU is always clutching their pearls over something...

Boolit Bub
    Well, I had a most prompt and helpful reply from Ruan at BCB covering a technical inquiry, which, judging by it's timestamp, he posted at 11 minutes after they opened for business! BCB coatings seem ideal for my purpose and would solve several problems. Unfortunately, they will only ship by Fedex, and courier companies bringing items into Canada make shipments both prohibitively expensive and unworkable. Perhaps someday BCB will have a North American distributor. but for the time being, I will have to reconsider the lesser options. There's always a monkey with a wrench aimed squarely at the works, in life....

Boolit Bub
    Correction: I realize now that there are TWO different BCB websites, and one is the U.S. distributor ( DOH ! ).

Back in business!

Boolit Buddy
    Here's how I coat bullets with both hitek and bcb. 7lbs of bullets, about 250 45 acp bullets.

I'm liking the bcb, but the bright colors come out looking black/charcoal. Performance is fine, just color is off. I've drilled a bullet and inserted a thermocouple to certfy temperatures and I'm not over baking, but they still turn dark...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    What temp are you baking at?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Correction: I realize now that there are TWO different BCB websites, and one is the U.S. distributor ( DOH ! ).

Back in business!

Correction to the correction: After directing me to the U.S. dealer, Ruan later emailed to tell me that, regardless of which outlet it was with which I was dealing, the products would be shipping from South Africa, so Fedex would still be the only option. So, back to square one. NOT back in business.

Boolit Buddy
    What temp are you baking at?
    I've tried 350 to 400. If it's low enough to maintain color, it wipes off with acetone. Could almost use the color as the cure indicator for some of these...

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sandxs View Post
    I've tried 350 to 400. If it's low enough to maintain color, it wipes off with acetone. Could almost use the color as the cure indicator for some of these...

Mine turned a little darker but seemed to be the same color they posted on the website. I baked at 360 for 16 minutes. I could get it a little bit darker but that's if I baked it at 385. If I wanted a lighter color I would for example use petrol blue instead of blue. Or lime instead of green.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Correction to the correction: After directing me to the U.S. dealer, Ruan later emailed to tell me that, regardless of which outlet it was with which I was dealing, the products would be shipping from South Africa, so Fedex would still be the only option. So, back to square one. NOT back in business.

How much would shipping be for you? I think I paid 35. A little pricey but even with shipping it ended up being the same as HiTek per bullet

Boolit Bub
    How much would shipping be for you? I think I paid 35. A little pricey but even with shipping it ended up being the same as HiTek per bullet
    I'm in Canada. International couriers are Satan's evil stepchild to us. It's not the shipping - $35 is steep but understandable. It's the accompanying blatant extortion that is unacceptable. UPS is far and away the worst, but they all do it to some extent. On top of the valid shipping charges, they tack murky extras variously called "documetation fee", or "customs processing fee". or "importation fee", but they're all names for the same thing: parcel ransom. Your shipment arrives in Canada in the normal manner, and is then interned in a warehouse, usually in the part of Canada where they refuse to speak the King's English unless you put a gun to their heads. They will not free your parcel until the ransom is paid, and this "fee" easily doubles the costs, and makes the entire purchase financially prohibitive. To be clear: These fees are not duties, taxes, or any other form of government-imposed charges; they are entirely a cash grab on the part of the courier companies, padding their bottom line at our expense because they think they have us over a barrel. When the same package is delivered by mail, there are NO extra charges.

I could tell you the story of the last time someone mistakenly sent me a parcel from the States via UPS, but I don't want to expose you to that sort of language.
    Last edited by asdf; 01-11-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    The joy of living just up the road from the manufacturer of HITEK coating.
    Need some more?? go for a drive.
    I love Australia.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The joy of living just up the road from the manufacturer of HITEK coating.
    Need some more?? go for a drive.
    I love Australia.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-11 202122.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	309094

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Here is a pic of the gray but I’ll try to get a better pic for ya. Plus also the brown and purple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A8FB113-2C6F-463B-9076-40AAD71CB2F3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	309117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A77949F-1711-4772-A4AB-CF1A269318B8.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	309118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B59478A6-018A-4345-A167-3D7C012A6B11.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	309119

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast