Thread: Bullet Corp Coatings

Boolit Man

Bullet Corp Coatings

Here is my final(3rd)coats of Blue and Lime from Bullet Corp coating

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WuMelD4.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	306886 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finalcoatlime.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	306887

This is the first coat before baking

Name:	beforefirstcoatbake.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	306888

Here is after the first coat bake

Name:	afterfirstcoatbake.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	306889

Here is after the second coat bake

Name:	aftersecondcoatbake.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	306890

I really like this coating. Its like Hitek, but it seems like it doesn't flake as easy when seating and is a little more forgiving during the coating process. I used 50% acetone and %50 isopropyl alcohol. It allowed me to swirl for a little over a minute. This coated the bullet very good, and it evened out the coat nicely. The friction of the bullets swirling in the tub and rubbing against eachother brings the pigments out. The blue has a great shine to it and the lime is more matte but has a vivid color.
    Since it shipped from South Africa the initial cost was way higher than Hitek, but the 400g I ordered will coat alot of bullets. 33,000 147gr bullets to be exact. Hitek cost is $.00303 per bullet when buying the 3.5oz option. Bullet corp coating when buying the 400g and shipping to the US will be $.00209 per bullet. So it actually ends up being cheaper. I haven't done the math on the bigger sizes for both companies so I don't know where that ends up being.

Boolit Buddy
    From a processing perspective, I like BCB as well, but have issues with the darker blues/purple comming out basically black. It does look more like powder than hi-tech. I bought several colors to keep shipping cost lower. Might have a lifetime supply...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sandxs View Post
    From a processing perspective, I like BCB as well, but have issues with the darker blues/purple comming out basically black. It does look more like powder than hi-tech. I bought several colors to keep shipping cost lower. Might have a lifetime supply...

I did notice that the baking temp range is a lot lower than HiTek. I noticed that my lime green came out pretty dark, almost the same color as their (BCB) zombie green. I lowered the temp and baked 2 minutes longer. It helped a lot. My second batch of 500 came out a little bit lighter. I wanna try their teal and turquoise. I like the bright colors. The blue has a great sheen but does come out pretty dark.

Boolit Buddy
    Why do you apply more than one coating? Could it be applied using the dry tumble method?

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    Why do you apply more than one coating? Could it be applied using the dry tumble method?

Thanks, Dinny
    It's not a powder coat. It's a powder that is made to be mixed with a solvent like acetone and alcohol for example. It is then swirled in that solution until almost all the solvent evaporates. Then the bullets are poured out onto a wire rack to completely evaporate the solvent. Usually takes 10 minutes and then you bake it in the oven. It is meant to be baked and recoated at least 2-3 times. Just like the process for HiTek coating.

Boolit Master

Have you used Powder Coating? Does this BCB coating have any advantages over powder coating. I have done hi-tec but can't figure out why it's better than PC. PC is a one coating process and does not require dangerous chemicals like acetone.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Have you used Powder Coating? Does this BCB coating have any advantages over powder coating. I have done hi-tec but can't figure out why it's better than PC. PC is a one coating process and does not require dangerous chemicals like acetone.
    Yes I've used powder coating. Despite having a great coating and strength against leading, I hated it. It didn't coat even enough and added a lot of thickness and since it had different amounts of thickness of each bullet, the oal of each projectile was different. My PC 9mm 147s had a length of .637 to .655. That in my mind is unacceptable and can lead to dangerous overpressure. Not to mention the nose of the bullet is now thicker no matter if you size it smaller or not. That leads to the bullet nose digging into the chamber affecting chambering reliability and function. Now my HiTek bullets I could swirl by the thousand. Lay them out on a tray and walk away. Then bake. It is so much less work. 2-3 coats, it doesn't matter. I'm not sitting there staring at my oven waiting for them to be done. There's **** to be done around the home. Stuff to prime and reload. Then then HiTek coating bullets always measure .635 in length. Always. Acetone isn't that dangerous to work with. If our wives and girlfriends can work with nail polish remover directly on their hand, we can easily swirl some heavy metals in acetone. Yes evaporated acetone isnt safe to inhale in large quantities but at most we are evaporating a few mls for each coat in a large room. Now if you are just powder coating a few rifle rounds it makes sense. But I make thousands of rounds of pistol ammo for competition. I can't PC and just bake in a pile despite what Elvis Ammo and their mom says. Now BCB coating is way better adhering and more resistant to heat than HiTek. I now will only use BCB from now on. After pulling dozens of bullets, the BCB never had a spot of bare lead. While the HiTek was scraping off left and right.

Boolit Mold
    I didn't see this thread for BCB Bullet Coat from South Africa when I started a new thread today. There is very little information on YouTube or online forums, but what I've found seems to indicate that it's easier to apply than Hi-Tec, has better coverage and thermal performance and doesn't stick or clump together during baking. Also has better choice of colors than Hi-Tec. Seems to be quite popular in South Africa and Europe.

https://www.bcbcoating.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrGRROMmjtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMtsG-o3dJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8l5JlDWss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3RHrqo394
    Last edited by 30calshooter; 12-11-2022 at 01:43 PM. Reason: correct hyperlinks

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calshooter View Post
    I didn't see this thread for BCB Bullet Coat from South Africa when I started a new thread today. There is very little information on YouTube or online forums, but what I've found seems to indicate that it's easier to apply than Hi-Tec, has better coverage and thermal performance and doesn't stick or clump together during baking. Also has better choice of colors than Hi-Tec. Seems to be quite popular in South Africa and Europe.

https://www.bcbcoating.com

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...5&action=click

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...38&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...72&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...14&action=view
    It's just by accident I stumbled across it. I was watching alot of HiTek and powder coating videos on YouTube lately. In the suggested feed I saw a review on them and an application video. It was by a guy named Kevin B. https://youtu.be/FMtsG-o3dJs that is a link to the video I saw.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve not tried coating with it myself but this summer I ran out of cast bullets and did not have time to cast a batch for match ammo so I bought a couple 500ct boxes from gallant bullets which was apparently when they where transitioning from hi tec to the bcc coating because one box was hi tec coated and the other was bbc (same projectile and sizing from the same manufacturer) and I had a bit of leading in my CZs from the ones with the bcc coating though they really looked great.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    I’ve not tried coating with it myself but this summer I ran out of cast bullets and did not have time to cast a batch for match ammo so I bought a couple 500ct boxes from gallant bullets which was apparently when they where transitioning from hi tec to the bcc coating because one box was hi tec coated and the other was bbc (same projectile and sizing from the same manufacturer) and I had a bit of leading in my CZs from the ones with the bcc coating though they really looked great.
    I just reloaded 500 that were horribly swaged into badly expanded cases that swaged the base down to .350. I didn't see any leading despite having loads of keyholing bullets on target. I am not sure what the issue could be for you to have leading problems anymore than what HiTec could give you. All I've been shooting have been HiTec and BCB. I've got my swaging problem fixed now

Boolit Bub
    are you guys cleaning the bullets in acetone as per the instructions?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by m37 View Post
    are you guys cleaning the bullets in acetone as per the instructions?
    I had been yes.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, coating right after casting

Boolit Master

I have been using HiTek for years and wanted to try the BCB because of the different color choices. Tried a few colors and was not happy with the results. It coated the bullets fine but I got a matte/flat finish on the bullets not at all like the shiny look that the website has. Not sure why both colors turned out the same way but it was strange and unappealing. They (.45 200 SWC) shot OK but I just went back to using my HiTek.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I have been using HiTek for years and wanted to try the BCB because of the different color choices. Tried a few colors and was not happy with the results. It coated the bullets fine but I got a matte/flat finish on the bullets not at all like the shiny look that the website has. Not sure why both colors turned out the same way but it was strange and unappealing. They (.45 200 SWC) shot OK but I just went back to using my HiTek.
    Same here. I got some Black BCC and some MIBK for mixing. followed the instructions and got a flat black bullet...not shiny as shown on their website. Shot OK.
    But I went back to HITEK as it was easier and gives the results I need.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Same here. I got some Black BCC and some MIBK for mixing. followed the instructions and got a flat black bullet...not shiny as shown on their website. Shot OK.
    But I went back to HITEK as it was easier and gives the results I need.
    There was a video on application of the coating. The guy tried 100% acetone. A 70/30 mix of acetone and isopropyl alcohol. A 50/50 mix and a 70/30 acetone and MEK mix. The 50/50 acetone and iso mix gave a great shine compared to the others. That's what I have been using. Blue was really shiny but I accidentally baked it at the temp HiTek cures at and it darkened quite a bit. It wasn't until I baked it at 365 for 16 minutes that it stayed true to the color. The lime green was a nice color but was matte. The only reason I tried the coating is that I was having adhesion problems with Hitek. Oh and when HiTek sent me instructions they had a small section at the back that had your application rates and tips on it. I thought that was really cool

Boolit Bub
    how do they collect any tariffs / customs charges to USA never ordered anything overseas thanks

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by m37 View Post
    how do they collect any tariffs / customs charges to USA never ordered anything overseas thanks
    They just add in shipping costs to your order. You don't have to worry about anything else. Same thing with MP molds which comes from overseas

Boolit Bub
    thanks

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast