Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liquid lube

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used Lee Liquid Alox with good results. I would coat the boolits, let them dry, run them through the sizer to add the GC and coat them again. Worked well for my 6.5mm Swede.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 01-08-2023 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo

my method exactly - i only use gas checks on rifle bullets - never had any leading on any rifle or pistol bullet i cast
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I don't get it everyone keeps talking about lubes that are great and I want to use them but then I look at the ingredients and they use materials that haven't been made in years. Yes Ben i just noticed your post you are right! Thanks for posting the link I saw it and so happy to have this ready-made, i tried making some kind of mix with LLA and mineral spirits and Johnsons paste wax and it was a disaster. I saved you linked page to my favorites. I don't see myself ever powder coating bullets, but soon a lube-sizer will be on my short list. I wish there was somewhere I could watch someone show the different models and how to use them and what lube works best in the different models and different speeds.
    Those are the exact ingredients I use for my liquid lube and it works out great. I take no credit, I found the recipe here.

1) Using an electric hotplate, outdoors, pop the lid off the Johnson's Paste Wax and set it on the hotplate on low to medium heat. Let it melt completely.

2) Stir in a 4oz. bottle of Lee Liquid Lube. Mix well.

3) Add 4 oz. of Mineral Spirits, stir it in.

4) Shut off the heat and let it cool. It should be a thin consistency, not quite like water. Add MS to adjust, as necessary.

5) Put the cover back on the can and put it away, it's ready to use. Before use, shake it up well. Be stingy when lubing your boolits, it won't take much.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

I always used pure LLA, but was getting ready to try the mix with the wax. I still have the full can Johnson’s wax I bought for the project. I happened to start PCing and muzzle loading. I never made that lube, but always head it worked well.

Don't know why it never occurred to me before but a really cheap bottle of carnauba based polish is something to try out when applying paper patches to muzzleloading rifle boolits. Might work, might not, but it needs trying.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Don't know why it never occurred to me before but a really cheap bottle of carnauba based polish is something to try out when applying paper patches to muzzleloading rifle boolits. Might work, might not, but it needs trying.
    When I was paper patching, I would moisten the patches before applying them. When they dried they would shrink and be nice and tight. With a liquid wax, they may not shrink. However, I know a lot of people use dry patches too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I couldn't find any reference to a Lee universal die holder? Did you mean NOE's?

Lee still lists their standard push through sizers but the LLA is sold separately now.
    I made a small mistake. It's not a universal holder. It's only for Breechlock presses, because of the size. Lee part number 91532, dies sold separately a bit cheaper than entire die/kits.

https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

I wrongly assumed the old style kits still came with the LLA, but I'm cleared up on that point, now, too. I got a couple kits for Christmas with no LLA.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    When I was paper patching, I would moisten the patches before applying them. When they dried they would shrink and be nice and tight. With a liquid wax, they may not shrink. However, I know a lot of people use dry patches too.
    I'm gonna have to try it some day. I patch for .40, .52, .58 and .69. Working towards getting a 9.3 together.
    Maybe there'll be a way to adapt the bottle of car polish (as used to make solvent based liquid lube) into a workable patch wetting solution.

Yah I bought about 6 of those sizers off leeprecicision.com they have them almost every .001 for a production over run recently. I needed some strange sizes for black powder- paper patch and small throat on my gun. It’s sprising how well LLA works in my 30-30 mid velocities. Thinner coat easier to handle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am also a fan of 45-45-10

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12