Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 35 Whelen velocity surprise

Boolit Buddy

35 Whelen velocity surprise

I found an accurate load with my whelen using 4895, dacron filler, and the Lee 200g boolit. Quick load predicts 1664 fps at 12760 psi. I was really worried that was a little too slow and was planning on upping it to around 2000fps.
    This morning I had a nice mature buck step out at a little over 100yd. He was quartering toward me and about to step in thick brush so I took the shot I had. I placed the crosshairs on his front shoulder and jerked the trigger. I was surprised, really surprised to find an exit wound in his back ham. Penetration from front to rear. I am not too concerned with the velocity any more.

Milkman

Boolit Master

Actually, the slower velocity should correlate with increased penetration. If the bullet does not upset as much due to a lower impact velocity it should travel / penetrate further.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s pretty low velocity for a 35 whelen…a lot of wasted case space. I play with lower velocity loads in my 35 Rems. But, both my 35 rems group the best at max jacketed velocities with 200 grain cast at 2100 fps. Glad it works for you. I can’t get .358 cast to feed reliably in my 35 whelen 7600. It feeds perfectly in my 35 Rem 7600 though.

Boolit Master
    We need PICTURES!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, the wasted case space is the reason for the dacron filler. I am old and beat up enough that recoil doesn't have the appeal that it used to.

Sorry, no pictures. You wouldn't have wanted to see the body cavity after that bullet traveled the length of its gut. Now if we had smell-o-vision.......

Boolit Bub
    Now if we had smell-o-vision......
    As I read that I could smell it!

Oh, I can smell it.lol…just like fermented corn! I’m still young enough (in my opinion) and I still don’t like how my 35 Whelen recoils at full loads in my little 7600 carbine. My 300 RUM recoils less with full house 200 grain loads!

And some people think a 358 STA is fun...

If you want fun come over to my house and shoot my 375 RUM. It’ll knock you on your rear end and purple your shoulder all in the same shot.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-14-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    . You wouldn't have wanted to see the body cavity after that bullet traveled the length of its gut. Now if we had smell-o-vision.......
    Down in the Texas Hill Country one time, I went to a guy's house with my Uncle to get something.
    He was in his yard and had a deer hanging from a tree. He was flushing out the body cavity with a garden hose.

My first impression was that he was not in his happy place.........
    As we walked up,,,, he said, "Don't ask".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Been there. I have had meat that has smelled and tasted like #2 because of that kind of shot placement. I make sure that all my deer are broadside before shooting as far as I can help it so I don’t have to deal with that stink. If you don’t gut them right you still can have the same stinky mess.

Boolit Buddy
    I load my 35 whelen at what most consider too light , a 310gr. paper patched soft lead bullet over 35 gr. of IMR 3031 not sure what the velocity is but have yet to recover a bullet from hoggs or deer always a complete pass through and not much meat damage but still try to stay away from the dreaded gut shot. but it does happen

Good shooting, sometimes all you need is penetration. I like my bullets to start around 2000fps but a little less or a little more is just fine as long as the load shoots well enough.

My 35 Whelen is a H&R single shot and it did good with a nice doe this year. Nearly broadside it didn't make any big holes in the hide of either side but she reared up, did a 180 and tipped over. But under the skin the rib cage had a 3'' hole, the heart was gone and off side front leg right below the shoulder joint broke and the exit hole was close to boolit diameter. I thought it was odd but the boolit must've hit a rib bone. 45 grains of 3031 with a 225 grain WFN.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    If you want fun come over to my house and shoot my 375 RUM. It’ll knock you on your rear end and purple your shoulder all in the same shot.
    There is a reason those weren't very popular and only made for a short time. I always thought they should have made a 45 version.