Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Similar/Equivalent d/c'd & remarketed propellants, and keeping them straight.

Boolit Master

Similar/Equivalent d/c'd & remarketed propellants, and keeping them straight.

I could find SOME reference to this, but my search skills are less than stellar. I know there are propellants currently in production, sold under more than one name (HP38 = W231, etc), but aren't there also propellants that were DC’d by one company but reintroduced by another?
    It seems like I remember W680 went away, but came back as AA1680.
    I think W630 just WENT AWAY… I don’t think I’ve seen an analog to it, to this day.
    Hodgdon HS-7 was d/c’d but I thought it was reintroduced as one of the W57_ powders.
    I also want to say that W452AA was d/c’d by Winchester (or whomever), but reintroduced as another propellant, the designation of which eludes me (because I REALLY wish I could recall it, RIGHT NOW, Darn it!). Trap100, perhaps?
    I don’t know about HS-7, but it seemed like Winchester/Olin/Whomever would introduce a surplus powder under a certain name, sell it until they exhaust the stockpile, then reintroduce it, manufactured to similar specs (W230 →W231?), or let someone else do it (W680 → AA1680?).

It makes me think that W572 is out as a user-friendly(er) W571/HS-7 with flash retardants and some other fiddles. I’m NOT engaging in “conspiracy theory”, I’m just trying to keep the darn powders straight, while trying to find an alternate propellant to Blue Dot or AA#7.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I’m just trying to keep the darn powders straight, while trying to find an alternate propellant to Blue Dot or AA#7.
    I think you are looking for Shooters World Major Pistol, manufactured by Lovex in the Czech Republic as D037.01
    Many of the Accurate powders used to be manufactured by Lovex before AA moved production. So now many of the same Lovex powders, which used to be sold as AA, are now sold as Shooters World with new names. I have really liked Shooters World Match Rifle (compare to AA2520) although I've never used actual AA2520, new or old, to compare directly. I also like SW Clean Shot, but haven't had a chance to use a lot of it yet, and again I never used the real AA#2 either.

I haven't seen any SW Major Pistol in stock for a while. Ammoseek shows "Reloading Unlimited" and "Lohman Arms" has AA7, but only in 8lb jugs.
    -Backcut

see pg 2
    https://shootersworldpowder.com/wp-c...rld-manual.pdf
    Last edited by Backcut; 11-15-2022 at 10:12 AM. Reason: 2520

Boolit Master
    I've been using Shooters World Buffalo Rifle in lots of my cast loads. This is actually Lovex D060, which is the old formulation for AA5744. It works really well.

I miss W630. There must not have been any flash inhibitors in that powder because, even with 45acp, the muzzle flash would be a spectacular fireball the size of a basketball. Not really very practical, but the dramatic effects made it fun to shoot, and it would impress the knuckleheads.

Boolit Master

Did shooter's world go out of business? I have not seen any of their powder on shelves for years.

Boolit Mold
    Shooters World is still here and can be found online. Availability hasn't recovered quite yet, but I've seen a handful of different types of it come in stock during the last year or so. I never did see any of it on shelves locally.
    Last edited by Backcut; 11-17-2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: much vs any