RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Neck Turning Tool/Kit Advice/Suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Neck Turning Tool/Kit Advice/Suggestions

I have a .308 with a bit of a tight throat. Some of my brass is too thick in the neck for my cast loads and won't seat.
    I'm not looking to try for accuracy at 800yds. Max range on my current property is just over 50yds. Looking for a cheap solution that's "good enough" for my needs.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Boolit Grand Master

The easiest fastest way would be to neck ream the thick brass, but this does little to fix issues with wall thickness and consistency. Neck turning will cure the wall thickness issues and consistency but is more involved, both in equipment and time

Boolit Buddy
    Right. Looking for a solution somewhere between "$25 worth of garbage" and "$1,000 worth of way more than I need for the job".

Boolit Master

Do you have a RCBS or Bonanza case trimmer?
    They make neck turning accessories that replace the cutter head.

If you have a case trimmer a reamer pilot is the easiest way to thin your necks. I only have them for my Forster trimmer and they cost about $25-$30 each and they're only good for one dia. You can get custom made reamers in different diameters than standard but they cost more and again only do one diameter. They also only enlarge the hole that's there, and take the path of least resistance. So if the neck isn't concentric before it won't be after.

The Forster neck turning tool costs about $60 and the pilots are about $11 each , you'll need one pilot for each caliber you want to ream. It's adjustable, so if you want a little more off or a little less that's up to you.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all. I don't have any of those trimmers that will let me off cheaply. Is anyone using this gadget? RCBS 90401 Hand Case Neck Turner Kit.
    Once done developing my load, I doubt I'll shoot more than 100 rds per year out of this thing. It doesn't look very fun. But at such a small volume, it might be the ticket, provided it works well.

Boolit Master

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few different tools. Sinclair, K&M, PMA, Forster all make a nice tool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you everyone. I found something that will do for now.
    I'll know for sure tomorrow, if I see anything.

Boolit Buddy
    My K&M works well.

Boolit Master
    There are several turners available and each is a bit unique so it might matter. The biggest user difference between them is which method you prefer. Best I can tell, all of them will work fine if used correctly but then nothing ever works very good if it's used incorrectly.

That said, I wouldn't trade my simple old Forster hand held neck turner with the carbide cutter and assorted inside reamers for any of the more costly others.

You don't have a lathe, I take it?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

The Lee Loader kits with neck turning capability are usually too expensive for my taste, but may be reasonable in comparison to other alternatives. For the neck turning capability even a 30-06 kit would work.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Get 243 Win or 260 Rem brass and expand the necks, done
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    You don't have a lathe, I take it?
    I have a hand cranked Lyman Universal (lathe) case trimmer with their very serviceable neck turning attachment. I have a 9" x 36" South Bend, Md. A, lathe plus a full set of Model "C" collets to hold the cases. Both of those lathes work for neck turning but I prefer to neck turn with my old hand held Forster turner with Lee's electric drill driven shell holder; it performs great, it has no case alignment problems, it's very easy to use and that carbide cutter will last me forever.

What am I missing?