Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Maybe A .53 Bore For Paper Patch

Maybe A .53 Bore For Paper Patch

Every once in a while I start getting the itch for something new to tinker with.
    Well, there's this extra RCBS 45-280 laying around and I got to thinking.

The big part of that base plug is .525" diameter. What if that diameter was continued upwards towards the sprue plate and blended into the existing nose to make a smooth sided hollow base slug for paper patching. And a few more C-ring grooves were cut to make the boolits length adjustable.
    Then I'd need something to shoot them in...
    This might be a winter time need to do thing.

Boolit Grand Master

You could make a D reamer to accomplish that but you'd need a lathe or milling machine and accurate set up of the mould blocks to keep every thing on center and perpendicular.

It would probably be easier to just make what I call a push out mould which I make from round bar. My push out moulds are similar to the old Ideal Cylindrical moulds:

Mine are a little more robust though. I make mine from 1 1/2" round bar. Depending on cavity size I either make a D reamer or bore the cavity. It is easier to make a smooth base pour cavity than nose pour but I have made and use both. The nose pour moulds have a searate nose form that drops into a recess under the sprue plate. I handle the nose form with a magnet. Sounds complicated but it is as easy as using a mould with separate core pin.

Anyway, you don't need a hollow base unless you want one so a base pour push out mould is easy to make and should give you waht you want.

Here are some pics of a mould I made for Greg Sappington (Greg 5728):

That is a base pour mould for 12 ga. HP slug but I have made these typoes of moulds for .30 cal. PP for .303 and .308, groove diameter for knurling for .303, .44 cal. PP and full groove diameter for knurling, 20 ga. shotgun, 12 ga. shotgun in nose pour for HB slugs (Foster style) and base pour.

They are easy moulds to make and work well... plus you don't have to "lose" your .45 cal. mould.

Just a thought.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 11-14-2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: replaced links so pics show up