Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage 111 safety too stiff

Boolit Master

Savage 111 safety too stiff

I had this 111 left hand rifle for about 25 years and never hunted with it before yesterday morn. I knew the safe worked kinda hard and tried all the tricks I know to smooth things up with out taking trigger assembly apart. Yesterday morn in the 15 degree cold i barely could slide so I left it off and lifted the bolt for safety. That worked as I popped a buck at 250 yards. Now I must fix this safety to work smoothly. Any one ever take the savage trigger assembly apart? Any words of wisdom? Other than DON’T TOUCH IT!!! Sorry I don’t understand that kind of logic.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I still have a Savage Left Hander in 30-06.
    I bought it to rebuild for a son in law.
    But he is gone , so I still have the rifle.
    I will take a look at the rifle and see what I think about the safety.
    From what I remember when shooting it a few years back , there was no issue with the safety.

I pulled the rifle out of the safe.
    The safety works great.
    I have rebuilt several Savage rifles and never had a problem taking the trigger apart.
    But I do not know your skill level .
    But I can't remember needing any special tools to take it apart or reassembling it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-14-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Have you tried a drop of oil?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Have you tried a drop of oil?
    Yup,and a lot of other things. The trigger adjusted to perfection so that is good. I like the function of the trigger it just slides hard and when it gets cold it appears worse. I will dive into it now.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    PM me if you need any guidance

The safety on my son's older 110 long action .243 can be difficult in cold weather especially with jersey gloves. I had a later model 10 Trophy Hunter .223 that had a wider thumbpiece that was an improvement
    One problem is that the height( for thumb purchase) is limited by the bolt passing over it.
    Maybe check the detent spring and put a bit of grease in it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Does the rifle in question have the Accu Trigger or not? It has been a long time since I worked over a non accutrigger Savage, but I seem to recall the safeties are different.

I know there are video's on youtube about the accutrigger, some of them mention the safety sliding parts, not too sure if any deal with the older model safety.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The non-Accutrigger triggers have a rear screw that can be tightened down too much and the safety won't slide easily. I'd check that after a thorough cleaning.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    No accutrigger, and yes I found that screw that loosens the safety some but I was not sure if that could hinder the safety engagement. I am going to dissemble the trigger now for sure. We have a few 110’s that have good safety slide but this one is rough.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like I said it has been several years since I worked on one of the original Model 110 triggers, oddly enough I believe it was a 111E.

As I remember, adjusting any of the screws can change operation of all trigger components. Nothing to be scared of, just make sure you do a complete function and safety check when you put it back together.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Ive heard about these "safety" things on rifles..... aparently they are on all but one of my bolt actions....but in total honesty they very very seldom get used...its a hangup from learning with a SMLE the bolt stays open until ready to fire.

Boolit Master
    I took the trigger apart and cleaned and polished all parts except trigger sear. The trigger worked perfect for a hunting gun so I left that alone. Cleaned an took all milling marks on the receiver. Relieved the clasp spring on safety and all is well. I was kinda surprised how simple the trigger is and amazed at the difference cleaning it up made. Thanks for your input, now I am going to do some more just to eliminate machining marks and such.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

"The trigger adjusted to perfection so that is good."

There in is the problem. When the Savage trigger is adjusted to give a very crisp break the rear of the sear that the safety blocks is slightly pivoted up reducing the gap between it and the receiver. The safety slides to fill the gap between the rear of the sear and the receiver. Ergo the part of the safety that slies into that gap is now too large. To cure the problem you can slightly stone the top of the sear at the back or the bottom of the safety where is slides into the gap.

If you attempt to fix, remember a little stoning can go a long way so stone a little and try. With the bolt cocked you want the safety to just slide freed to "on safe", the middle safe position and the "off safe" position. The fitting must be done with the bolt cocked with the trigger engaged in the sear notch.

Best to stone on the bottom of the safety as it can be readily replaced if you go too far.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I had this 111 left hand rifle for about 25 years and never hunted with it before yesterday morn. I knew the safe worked kinda hard and tried all the tricks I know to smooth things up with out taking trigger assembly apart. Yesterday morn in the 15 degree cold i barely could slide so I left it off and lifted the bolt for safety. That worked as I popped a buck at 250 yards. Now I must fix this safety to work smoothly. Any one ever take the savage trigger assembly apart? Any words of wisdom? Other than DON’T TOUCH IT!!! Sorry I don’t understand that kind of logic.
    Over tightening stock action screws and binding safety ?? Look close to see where it is rubbing/binding ??

Boolit Master

I would send it back to Savage, but that's me